<2000 competetive but fun 2500 pt. lists - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

competetive but fun 2500 pt. lists

Hey LO, In several months I have an out of state tournament I'm going to and am not sure what type of list to take. Also(and more importantly IMO) my entire 2500 pt.list must be painted, thus, having a good Idea on what exactly I'll be bringing will allow me to focus on what I need to paint.

Also, a few parameters. I own most everything in the book so don't hold back, but, as the title says, I would like a list that is actually fun to play in addition to being competetive. Your lists should include approprite pts. costs, wargear, and a brief strategy dscribing army, and unit choices, and possibly army pros and cons.

I really look forward to reading your suggestions and, who knows?, I might even be taking your list to the Tourney. Thanks a million.

" Are you gonna bark all day little doggy,
    or are you gonna bite? "

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll have a go, though I'm learning beasts myself so take my advice with a pinch of fur.

Level 4 bray shaman with shadows, 4+ward, ironcurse icon, jagged dagger and AHW
    Beastlord with shield, heavy armour, ramhorn helm, chalice of dark rain and brass cleaver. (i realise he only has a 3+ save with the ramhorn but i dont know how to get it higher without gimping the bsb)
    Level 2 Bray shaman with beasts and feedback scroll
    Level 1 Bray shaman with shadows
    Wargor BSB with beasts banner, gnarled hide, heavy armour and shield.

Core:
    39 gors with AHW and CMD
    20 gors with AHW and CMD (ambushing)
    4x5 ungor raiders with musician each (2 units ambushing).
    tuskgor chariot.

30 bestigors with banner of eternal flame and CMD
    5 Harpies
    5 Harpies

Optional: From here, I add a fun monsteresque option. Either one of the rares (they're better than they get credit for imo, just pricey) or a unit of minotaurs.
    2498 total. I'm not comfortable putting detailed points costs up, some forums get funny about it.

I don't normally take a BSB unless it has the beast banner (I'd sooner spend those points on something more fun than re-roll leadership). The beastlord goes in the gor block with the BSB. This is to make gors strength 4 and the beastlord strength 6 (with brass cleaver providing extra attacks) he's pretty decent in combat. The chalice is perhaps not essential as the list already includes a number of anti-warmachine & shooting units so feel free to take it, it is just that I'm so used to bringing it! The shamans can go in either unit really, the lack of herdstone is a bummer but personally I have never regretted bringing the feedback scroll, against most opponents it's great. Ironcurse icon makes the level 4 nice in the bestigor unit as I find they can be the victam of stone throwers and the like often, a 6+ ward helps a bit and for 5 points its amazing, if it saves 1 bestigor it more than doubles its cost.

Magic wise the list contains a healthy amount of beasts and shadow magic imo, both lores are fantastic in most situations.

The blocks of 30 bestigors and 40 gors should stay relatively together with the Beastlord and BSB in range. These two form the solid core of the army. With the 3 ambushing units and 2 units of harpies you have good countering options against war machines or ranged units. The chariot is to add some punch to the gor unit as needed (although with str 4 from beast banner i find they rarely need it so could be dropped if desired, I like chariots!).

The final choice on the monster option is entirely down to taste. Personally I take the ghorgon with this setup, as I feel the army could use a little more close combat edge, and he certainly provides that if you can get him there. Cygors great fun and its nice to have a stone thrower but he's a VERY expensive stone thrower and unfortunately his magic hampering abilities aren't great in 8th due to the new BSB rules (the jabber suffers for the same reason). Minotaurs are always a fun option in a list, they offer more wounds and attacks than the ghorgon (though at a bigger unit size and without the ability to replenish wounds).

I hope this is even remotely helpful/interesting (probably not) but I always enjoy talking about my beastmen

Good luck with the tourney!

4. ThanksMr.Blonde thanked for this post.
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x5)

I can't say I'm terribly familiar with 2500 (most of my games are played at 2000-2400 - so take this with a grain of salt as well), but here's my stab at it:

Core: 656
    40 Gors - AHW, full command
    20 Gors - AHW, full command
    2 x 10 Ungor Raiders, Musician

Special: 815
    40 Bestigors - Full command, Standard of Discipline
    2 x Razorgor Chariot

Heroes: 475
    Wargor - AHW, BSB (The Beast Banner), Heavy Armor, Gnarled Hide, Gouge-Tusks, Many-Limbed Fiend
    Wargor - Heavy Armor, Shield
    Bray-Shaman - AHW, L2 Wizard, Dispel Scroll

Lords: 558
    Beastlord (General) - Dragonhelm, Heavy Armor, Ogre Blade, Potion of Speed, Shield, Talisman of Preservation
    Great Bray-Shaman - L4 Wizard, AHW, Crown of Command, Talisman of Endurance

TOTAL: 2,500

Usually, I'll have the Beastlord and the Great Bray-Shaman in the Bestigor unit and both Wargors and the L2 Shaman in the 40-man block of Gors. The other Gor unit will usually be going for the Ambush, as will one of the Ungor Raider units. One possible edit you can do if you're unwilling to gamble on the whole Ambush thing is that you can combine both Gor blocks into one giant 60-man block, then place the points you would have otherwise spent on command somewhere else (Raider Halfhorns for the Ungors, perhaps?)

Basic strategy behind this list is to have some big scary blocks of infantry that can mow things down (40 Gors + The Beast Banner + two tricked-out Wargors on the front = good times), as well as bit of shooting and fast-moving stuff to take out some of the squishier targets, with Shamans (usually packing Lore of Beasts or Lore of Shadows) to keep it all running smoothly. Your main killy unit will probably be Bestigors, and that Crown of Command on your Bray-Shaman (plus the Standard of Discipline and the General being in the unit) will make them all Ld10 and Stubborn (just in case).

Hope that looks all right.
    Last edited by rothgar13; June 19th, 2011 at 20:19. Reason: New and improved list.

6. ThanksMr.Blonde thanked for this post.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by lexicanium View Post
    I hope this is even remotely helpful/interesting (probably not)
    On the contrary Lex, this is a stellar list! I appreciate the feed back (the Beast forums could use all the activity they can get). I like how troop hevy it is, but I think it's a bit tricksy for my tastes( I only own one shaman model). I'm not sure if thats how people are playing in tournaments currently as I haven't played one since the very begining of 8th before the curve was set. I'm wondering if the basic strategy will work with just the lv.4? I do like shadows though.

Rothgar, as well, thanks for the fabulous list. Again, I like the troop heavy-ness of your list and how the gors spliced with some characters do the hevy lifting in your army, and of course I love anything with chariots.

The more I look at you guy's lists the more I think mine will be some sort of hybrid of the two. One thing is for sure, the big blocks of gors are there to stay.
    " Are you gonna bark all day little doggy,
    or are you gonna bite? "

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If infantry heavy is your thing then you'll do well at tournaments Beastmen currently function best when they are few big blocks of gors+ bestigors backup up by combat characters, a bsb and shamans with shadows / beasts. That is the competative set up at the moment. Personally I like to add minos/monsters/chariots and harpies for a bit of flavour (just my own taste).

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x5)

Agreed with that, lex. I add Chariots to mash up vulnerable targets, as well as get the wound count up on units that don't have a whole lot of bite - stuff like High Elf Spearmen or Empire Swordsmen find it mighty hard to get through the Razorgor Chariot's T 5, AS 4+ shell.

I've made some edits to the list I proposed, based on my recent games. I am now a believer in a L4 with Lore of Shadows - it has made a big difference.

+ Reply to Thread