Random Tactics - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Random Tactics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Random Tactics

Just wondering if anyone has tried some sort of really off the wall tactics, i.e. "Man I don't want to crush this n00b again so I'll do some really off the wall stuff," and then it worked way better than you would have thought.

Something akin to the "Super Herd," or just some kind of drastic change to your play style.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

I havent had much experiance with beasts yet, but there is one thing ive always thought about trying, maybe someone has:

Bray shaman with braystaff, bears anger spell, mark of slannesh and rune of the true beast. Basically used to hold large monsters etc in place, possibly even winning and taking them out, though thats quite unlikely unless the Spell comes off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sounds like that could be of some use... I might have to try that.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

While bear's anger is a great spell (and usually the only spell I take because shadow and death aren't that useful in magic poor beasts) it is fairly difficult to get off because it is so easily dispelled. The other problem is, that if you mark a brayshaman - he has to take that lore of magic. I don't remember what mark of the true beast does, but your shaman is only T4 so a decent fighter of any sort, ought to beable to take him out. Usually unless I already have Bear's anger in play and even if I did, I put my characters way out on the edge of the herd so they don't get killed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read this on a different site and I dont even know if its legal but playing an army of minotaurs with MSU tactic much like the OK are played. It seems like quite a different sort of army to your run of the mill beasts of chaos.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I used to be superbock, if anyone cares.

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Its a rarely seen army type, but it is pretty good. Ogre Kingdoms armies are generally seen as not being very competitive. Minotaur lists, basically the beast equivalent, can be a very good alternative.

With Mark of Khorne (and 2xHW) for loads of attacks, or Nurgle, for the decent save, Mino units can be amazing. And the army as a whole still has the back up of beast herds and other units.

Its an army that can really control the field, using support units to force the enemy where you want them.

As for Bears anger, yes it has a low casting value, but that doesnt stop you taking 2 Lvl 2 Shamen and throwing 3 dice at the spell, twice per phase. Thats a possible 2 pumped characters! With near Lord statlines

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You'd have to take that item that forces you to pick up Bear's Anger as a spell and gives you hatred if you were going to rock out with the Mark of Slannesh.

Any other crazy tactics out there?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    255 (x6)

When I am playing a game with a normal list and not using the Super Herd I often look to see if my opponent has over deployed on one side or put a strong unit on one of his sides and not on his other. If this happens I do something I call "in game re-deplyoment." Using the fancy skirmish movement for beast herds I can pull half my army away from the strong side and fight his/her weaker side with a good portion of my army at once. If they place their best unit in the center I will use my movement to split my army and attack only his sides compleetly avoiding the middle. They will eventually be forced to turn their unit to engage one of my halves, and it may leave them open to a rear or flank charge by my other half.

You could use Doombull and place him in a unit of bestigors. This keeps him safe from missile fire because it allows him to benefit from look out sir, which he would not in a unit of minotaurs unless it was very large. It also allows you to use his very good leadership for your units. Throw in a BSB and it will be very hard to get rid of the bestigors and any unit in 12".

In case anyone doesn't already know a BSB and a giant is good. Rerolling Ld10 is cheesy. It also helps if you are fielding deamons too, in case they fail instability.

Morghur pretty much writes crazy tactics for himself. Don't take any foe renders and watch as you fail leadership test after leadership test, and each time you add more spawns to your army! By the time you make it to the enemy you might have something like 12 chaos spawns if you place your units correctly.

I don't know if this is crazy enough for you, the super herd kind of used up all my crazy ideas I guess. You have to be careful with the super herd too, it doesn't work on unbreakable units, so I wouldn't use it against either undead, and depending on the type of dwarf army they could also be a problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been waiting for this to happen again. I was playing a VC player. He liked to take the Halfling Hotpot. During deployment he placed his ghouls in front of the hot pot. I deployed my mounted daemonettes across from them. The ghouls moved about 5 inches forward. I declared my 20 inch charge. Smashed the ghouls and then overran into the hotpot then ran a muck all over their flanks. It was beauty.

Ever since then he's been super obsessed with killing them leaving the rest of my army to cause havoc, which is also beauty.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

that's what he gets for taking a hotpot instead of banshees (one of the best rare choices in the game imo)

+ Reply to Thread