Fielding Questions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fielding Questions

I recently came into some spare cash, working on a mural for my mother-and am looking to further expand my army. Yes i'm aware that i've not played a game yet but this should change come either this Sunday or the end of the month.

I have several questions that will probably sound rather stupid to more experienced players:
    • Would fielding Warhounds in two units of 5 be affective, or would i be better off picking up two dire wolves and converting them for units of 6?
    • For whatever reason i've had an aversion to running tuskor chariots-how effective are they?-aren't they rather slow? Should i field them at 1000k? if so, how many?
    • Do minotaurs recieve rank bonus/is there any point in fielding them in groups of 5?
    I think that is all that have right now. In the meantime thanks for input.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well for one thing, dire wolves--at least the old ones--are pretty cheap right now, considering the new models are coming in and the stores want to get rid of the old ones. They also don't look too bad, although the warhounds models are a bit better looking but also more expensive.

Tuskgor Chariots are one of the most cost-effective units in the Beasts book if you use them correctly. They have d6+1 s5 impact hits, and the tuskgor are also s5 on the charge and you'll usually get at least one hit with the pair. Then there's the s4 bestigor with a great weap, taking him to s6. The ungor isn't great, but hey, he's an extra chance to get a wound. Every time I've used a chariot, it's been well worth the points.

I'm not familiar enough with Minotaurs to give you a definiative answer, although unless it specifically says that they wouldn't. I'm looking at the BRB right now and I don't see anything to say that they don't ((If they are classified as monsters, that is.)). I would say, however, that ranking up Minotaurs isn't a great idea. You should really maximize their close combat potential and just keep one rank.
    No, I don't have any wool.

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Warhounds do fine in units of 5 (Buy some Goblin Wolf Riders, and just use the wolves, cheaper) Then if you want a 6th, just pick up a Warhound blister. Generally the 6th is just added as a points filler really, and lost if something else could use those points more.

Tusk Chariots are pretty good for their cost. Slow compared to other Cav based stuff, but so long as theyre targeting the right enemy then they should do just fine. Id recommend atleast 1 per 1K.

Minotaurs do get a rank bonus yes... If you wish to feild a unit of 10 or more! In which case I would be forced to slap you Basically stick to units of 4. Possibly 3 at lower points. Only take LA if they have MoN, weapon selection is up to you though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now that i look at them-the Dire wolves are really cheap, and i personally like the models better, so i may just use them instead Warhounds. For only a few dollars more i get 20 dire wolves as apposed to just 10 metal Warhounds, so that solves my fielding issue and would also let me run an additional unit if i felt like being excessive-that and there are a lot of people in my shop that are looking at playing with the new VC, so it wouldn't be all that difficult to get rid of extra models.

Hrmm-guess i'll look into the chariots then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Minotaurs do get a rank bonus yes... If you wish to feild a unit of 10 or more! In which case I would be forced to slap you Basically stick to units of 4. Possibly 3 at lower points. Only take LA if they have MoN, weapon selection is up to you though.
    Well, i've already put in my special order for the Army bundle since i'm getting it for a 256 through my local hobby shop-so i may just set them up that way anyhow XD

+ Reply to Thread