The Great Beasts return - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x2)

The Great Beasts return

Well after a lengthy hiatus from fantasy (and a rapid increase in orks) I'm thinking of getting back into fantasy. I was tempted to just start a new army but looking at the few models I've already collected the urge to complete my old Beasts army has come back. Needless to say I'll be needing a bit of help to rebuild a viable list and so I turn to you lot.

So far I have enough characters to keep me happy for a long time as well as a giant and a Shaggoth (the model rocks too hard for me not to get one). I also have a few best herds and a pair of chariots. What I need now, is suggestions as to the direction I should take my horde.

I've always been fond of Tzeentch and was planning to lead my beasts in that direction but I don't know how effective they really are. I was originally planning on throwing some mortals into the mix but with the advent of the 'one codex, one list' I'm headed towards a pure beast list.

Anyway, thanks in advance to any posters, I know the BoC are relatively uncommon here.

Gargrimz Green Deff
    W:10 D:4 L:5

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Great decision! Its a shame beasts is now a stand alone book, but a word of warning; you may not want to buy too much new stuff to add to your army, the BoC FAQ suggests we will have a new army book on its way soonish (mid 09). So as long a you have a decent sized army already (which from your 1st post im assuming you have) stick with what you have for now.

Im guessing you want a BeastLord lead army, in which case the Undivided, Slannesh or Tzeentch are your best bets for marks.

Sla and UDV are similar, with Sla just costing you a little more of course. Though as Herds cannot be marked, its generally a little pointless to add Sla marked characters. The only units you'll really want and need it on are Bestigor, Spawns and possibly Minotaurs.

Tze beasts are great because you can actually get a lot of numbers on the field as well as having a strong magic phase, as opposed to the (old) HoC where your troop numbers were limited.

You say you're fond of Tzeentch, so run with them. Lv4 Beastlord, Lv2 BSB, and 2 Bray Shamen, at least one with Beasts (Bears Anger is a fantastic spell to have)

Other units to definitely consider are Minotaurs, Chariot, Beast Herds of course, and a Spawn or two. Use the Shaggoth, it is a fantastic model.

Best thing to do would be to get a list written and post it, then work with the feedback you get on it.

Tyranid Warrior Fanatic Phalanx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x7)

Remember, you can also mark chariots now, and they don't have to share a mark with your general. They just have to share a mark with any rider they have. Also, Khorne ones use the current frenzy rules, not the old HoC frenzy rules. That means that you're getting a rediculous number of high strength attacks from a Khornate chariot. Also, you can get a couple of cheap Tzeentch chariots for some power dice to power any wizards you have.
    40K armies: Tyranids (2001), Space Wolves (2008), Sisters of Battle (2011)
    Current Rep: 1337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Beast Chariots cannot be marked, and a Beast army can no longer use Mortal Chariots.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Beast Chariots cannot be marked
    No longer true as per the BoC FAQ.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

579 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Rork View Post
    No longer true as per the BoC FAQ.
    Seriously!? How did i miss that one! Awesome! Thanks Rork.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x2)

wow, talk about timely, I really wasn't expecting an answer so quickly.

@Pheonix: Your suggestion for a Tzeentch character set is pretty much right on with what I already have. The list I came up with would involve me buying nothing but a few more beast herds so I feel its a pretty safe bet.

All in all the army would have 4 characters, all spellcasters. 2 Chariots, a whole mess of beast herds, a mutated Giant and the Shaggoth. The only problem I feel is the potential for disaster with the two huge creatures that make such obvious targets. On the other hand however there is a rather large number of beasts in the list (80 or so) and the number of casters mean that I am almost guaranteed to win the magic phase. I'll post a complete list at some point soon in the army list section.

Anyway, thanks for the support all, you'll be hearing more from me soon.
    Gargrimz Green Deff
    W:10 D:4 L:5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
    Remember, you can also mark chariots now, and they don't have to share a mark with your general. .

Anyone know if Minotuars still ahve to have the same marks as their Doombull? I don't have any stuff with me at work but I am playing theorey hammer in my head!8X

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

579 (x8)

Pretty sure Minos still do, thats in the actual BoC book itself. The marking chariots is just a nice addition, as if they ''missed'' out the option for it.

+ Reply to Thread