2.25K Nurgle Beasts - Anti-monster! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    205 (x7)

2.25K Nurgle Beasts - Anti-monster!

Gday,

Here is my Nurgle Beast list. The main idea I'm trying to push here, is to try and shut down enemy monsters. This is down one of two ways. If it's a character monster, like a Bloodthirster, the Beastlord tries to engage him, and steps up to the challenge plate. The his magic item setup actually make him pretty resiliant. I;ve been doing some dice rolling with him fighting a S10 Bloodthirster that re-rolls misses, and he can survive 2-3 rounds, waiting for instability to kick in, or support from other units, like the Giant,

The 2nd is if the enemy is riding a monster. Provided the rider isn't too beefed up to attack, I'll throw my Shaman in on the act, throw out a challenge, and let the Rune of the True Beast do the rest.

On top of this, I can always hope to get the Afflictions spell, but then this army only has a little magic for support, not really to dominate. Here goes anyway:

L - Beastlord
    Mark of Nurgle, Slaughterer's Blade, Trollhide Armour, Crown of Horns, Shield

H - Bray Shaman
    Lev 2, Mark of Nurgle, Chaos Armour, Dispel Scroll, Braystaff

H - Brayshaman
    Lev 2, Mark of Nurgle, Dispel Scroll, Braystaff

C - 23x Beastherd
    15x Ungor, Full command

C - 16 Beastherd
    9 Ungor, Full command

C - 10x Beastherd
    Foerender

C - 10x Beastherd
    Foerender

C - Chariot

C - Chariot

C - 18x Bestigor
    Full Command

C - 5x Hounds

C - 5x Hounds

S - 4x Minotaurs
    Mark of Nurgle, Light Armour, Great Weapons, Standard

S - 6x Centigor
    Shield, Standard, Muso

R+S - Shaggoth
    Light Armour, Great Weapon

R - 1x Spawn

TOTAL - 2249

Thoughts?

Tim

Last edited by timk1111; September 15th, 2008 at 14:36.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x2)

I like it but imo its way too panic prone. Nothing rerolls and nothing is immune except your rares. 4 Dice and no scrolls is very bold but I do like the mid magic. Also I think 23 man squads are too big/ unwieldy/ too many points, I have succes with 6/9 herds. Also I would consider some beast chariots ( best chariots in the game) and gore banner on the pestigors is a must. This is a very challenging list to win with, but if you think you're up for it go for it man. Looks like a lot of fun.
    2009 Tourny records (W-L-D) (20-4-4):
    9/56, 1/12, 2/14, 4/14, 32/82, 1/6, 16/72

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

205 (x7)

Thanks you Ork,

Beasts will always be panic prone - Not much I can do really, short of leading with a Doombull or Shaggoth, but then I lose ambush. The General's unit will be rallying on LD10 at least.

I;ve also had some good success with Herds this size though. I used to run a couple of herds, both 18-19 strong. They did OK, but then every so often they get outnumbered. 23+2 heroes seems big, but it's a cheap unit considering it's size, and a great body guard for the General. I have have herds of all different size, to do different things with

The large unit size is also my protection from panic.

Also...I have 2 chariots in the list!

Gore Banner is an interesting suggestion, but I'd nearly be better off just dropping the mark of Nurgle. Yeah I lose fear, but they are better against panic.

Mentioning my lack of dispel has got me thinking about perhaps leading with a Great Bray Shaman of Nurgle - I just have to try and still fit in the anti-monster element. Or maybe I'll go for 2 scrolls on the 2nd Bray..I'll figure it out, I think you have a good point.

Cheers, tim
    Last edited by timk1111; September 15th, 2008 at 08:56.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

205 (x7)

OK, I made some changes. I dropped MoN and went with normal Bestigors - big save in points, and a free gore banner. Them with the spare points, went with 2 dispel scrolls on the 2nd bray, and got some extra beastmen in the 2nd herd. I think I screwed some of the points costs up too, so dropping the Pestigors free'd up the points for this...

Look any better?

Also, I do like Beasts are a challenge. You need good timing, good ambushing and good tactics to do really well - kinda like Wood Elves. In 6th edition, these guys ripped up everthing at low points, haven't really tried them at high points like this yet. Still, can't wait for their 7th edition book, where they will no doubt start ripping the battle field up

Tim

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

I did think of using the Rune of the Tue Beast on a Bray Shaman at some point.. but then i thought it through lol. Even with MoN, you charge a Giant or similar large terror causer... with only 2A, one of those MUST hit and wound, or you will be fleeing (outnumbered by fear causer... snake eyes isnt to be relied on lol) Basically, whack the Rune on the Beastlord and let him take center stage

Oh, and why on earth do you have a Bray with no staff!? ANy chance youd want to even out the 2 large herds to 20 each? Drop the Std from the Centis, and maybe look into a second Minotaur unit to go head to head with the smaller monsters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

205 (x7)

The lack of Braystaff was an oversight, I did pay for it. I've out it on now.

The Rune of the True Beast is not for taking on monsters 1 vs 1. The between the Beastlord and Bray, I should be able to take on any monster, with some chance. The Rune is for issuing challenges against a Dragon and it's rider. Go in there with a 2+ save, the Dragon can't touch him, and so that leaves only the rider - but it depends what it is...now that I think of it, any rider that even takes a Sword of Might will give trouble...I may think this through yet...

What about a Shaggoth instead of the Giant? I'm sure he has some chance of taking on monsters...

Tim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

205 (x7)

Ok I updated the list to include a Shaggoth instead of a Giant. The main reason is to, again, try and trouble enemy Monsters. Giants are great for holding up enemy infantry, and things that are S3 and can't really hurt it, but I think Beasts have plenty of units to deal with infantry, esp Beastherds.

The other thing, is when Beasts get updated, I sure this bad boy is gonna be rock solid, if the Vargulf and Hydra are anything to go by, so it's a furute investment

Tim

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by timk1111 View Post
    The other thing, is when Beasts get updated, I sure this bad boy is gonna be rock solid, if the Vargulf and Hydra are anything to go by, so it's a furute investment
    So long as beasts get to keep the Shaggoths and its not just WoC that get them, which would be damn typical of GW... but yeah, cool

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Considering you're expecting to go up against big nasty monsters I have a few suggestions:

L - Beastlord
    Mark of Nurgle, Slaughterer's Blade, Trollhide Armour, Crown of Horns, Shield
    It's a great set-up to be sure, and it's good you didn't give him the Rune of the True Beast. GW rendered it useless by saying character monsters are immune. If you're expecting a bloodthirster be wary of Firestorm Blades, which are quite common, and will get around your regeneration. It's a good set up here, but just be careful, as the Bloodthirster is far more mobile than anything in this army. He'll avoid the unit your beatlord is in if he's smart.

H - Bray Shaman
    Lev 2, Mark of Nurgle, Chaos Armour, Dispel Scroll, Braystaff
    Good set up.

H - Brayshaman
    Lev 2, Mark of Nurgle, Dispel Scroll, Braystaff
    And again.

C - 23x Beastherd
    15x Ungor, Full command
    Nice big herd, with a good proportion of gors:ungors. I assume the general is goin in here?

C - 16 Beastherd
    9 Ungor, Full command
    A bit of a strange sized herd. I'd either put it down to 10 or up to 20+.

C - 10x Beastherd
    Foerender

C - 10x Beastherd
    Foerender
    These are where my real concern is. If you're expecting terror causers it wouldn't be good to ambush these guys, particularly because you'll be near the board edge, and without a general's leadership one of these guys, on average, will flee off the board edge.

C - Chariot

C - Chariot
    Always good.

C - 18x Bestigor
    Full Command
    Eh, I'm not a fan on the big bestigor herds. I'd take a unit of 12 in 6x2 with a banner and maybe MoK for extra-killiness.

C - 5x Hounds

C - 5x Hounds
    Always welcome in any list.

S - 4x Minotaurs
    Mark of Nurgle, Light Armour, Great Weapons, Standard
    Good set up on the minotaurs.

S - 6x Centigor
    Shield, Standard, Muso
    Centigors are always fun.

R+S - Shaggoth
    Light Armour, Great Weapon
    Most monsters will outclass him, and a Bloothirster will tear his way through him. I'd prefer a unit of 3 Dragon Ogres, personally.

R - 1x Spawn
    1 spawn never seems to do much in my opinion. I'd take 2 or none.

But it's really shaping up to be a very good list. It's got everything a good beast list should.
    Current Armies:
    Beasts of Chaos (4000)
    Chaos Marines (3000)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

205 (x7)

Why thanks tones

I think the Beastlord's setup is as good as he gets in this book - no Doubt the next book will bring a stack more items to choose from, but this guy willdo for now. Can't do much about the Firestorm blade though, So i'll just have to suck it up. BT is always going to be a problem for a Beasts list, but I tried my best

And I am peeved what they did to the Rune of the True Beast. You sacrafice any form of ward save to get it, and Characters aren't affected. Silly call that one....but the spell still works....

As for BT avoiding the big herd, I dunno about that. Killing the General is something nice to go for, and BT denies all rank bonus to the Herd, so I don't think he'd hesitate. There's a chance, and I have to use it to countercharge with something...

The small Herds don't ambush against too many fear or Terror causers, they become a little useless. The mid sized herd is kept that size for flexibility. It's still small enough to ambush, but large enough to march up in the main battle line.

I thought the Bestigor offered some solid rank and filke to the list, kinda like what that wood elf unit does...can't remember the name of the only Woodelf unit that gets ranks...anyway, I don't mind em. I'll see how they go.

You have got me thinking about the Spawn though - his points could be better spent elsewhere quite easily....hmmm

What monsters will significantly outclass a Shaggoth? He's not too far off a Dragon that can't fly. but woth M7. Greater Daemon will rip him up, if they get the charge anyway, but then they're way more expensive Hydras and Vargi's can regenerate, but don't get to S7, or WS6. I don't think he's that bad in the end...

But then, is there a unit out there that can support a Shaggoth, to make him formidible? Run him with Chariots, Centis...what about 2 Shagoths? is that just TOO crazy?!

Tim
    Last edited by timk1111; September 19th, 2008 at 09:15.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast