Another BoC Newbie with questions and a prospective Nurgle list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another BoC Newbie with questions and a prospective Nurgle list

Hi all - only joined the hobby about a year ago in my early 30s and have been having a blast with 40K so far. I am increasingly tempted to try my hand at WFB and am very interested in assembling a Nurgle force. I have read the other recent newbie posts and have assimilated a lot of the info. Still uncertain as to why people do an 8 to 12 Gor to Ungor ratio, but that maye be due to my inexperience with WFB. Elaboration would be welcome.

What are the latest rumours regarding the new range and the new army book? Early 2010? Is there a consensus on safe minis to ignore for now? I know the much maligned bray shamans are often quoted as something to avoid and that the awful minotaur minis are long past due a revamp.

This is not my first idea of a list - have been theorycrafting for a few weeks now. No marks other than Nurgle/Undivided - a very fluffy army in concept. Let me know the viability and any other C&C would be very welcome. I have a 1K list written up that will eventually grow into this 2250 one - just want to see if my reasoning is sound and to catch any bad habits in their infancy. BoC is way too expensive to mess with without a clear list and buying guide! I mean - 33% more expensive than most of the other armies, at least in the builds I have been looking at...

I was going to pop this into the army list forum, but figured that its mostly a "would this work" list and there are loads of other questions that I would like answered, or the answers given in other similar threads confirmed or explained if my question is a repeat - I have not frivilously asked anything without reading other posts.

LORDS & HEROES
    Beastlord w/ Mark of Nurgle, General, Heavy Armour, Slaughterer's Blade, Pelt of the Dark Young, Horn of the Great Hunt [246]
    Wargor w/ Mark of Chaos Undivided, Heavy Armour, Battle Standard Bearer, The Beast Banner [151]
    Bray Shaman w/ Mark of Nurgle, Lore of Nurgle, Level 2, Bray Staff, 2x Dispel Scrolls [206]
    Bray Shaman w/ Mark of Chaos Undivided, Lore of Beasts, Level 2, Staff of Darkoth, Power Stone [166]

CORE
    16 x Pestigors w/ full command [284] - Beastlord and BSB go with this unit
    9 x Gor, 10 x Ungor w/ full command [138] - Shaman w/ LoN goes here
    9 x Gor, 10 x Ungor w/ full command [138] - Shaman w/ LoB goes here
    5 x Gor, 5 x Ungor w/ full command [90] - Ambush Unit
    Tuskgor Chariot [85]
    8 x Warhounds of Chaos [48]

SPECIAL
    4 x Minotaurs w/ Mark of Nurgle, Great Weapons, Light Armour [221]

RARE
    Chaos Spawn - Beast of Nurgle [75]

The only real possible major alteration that I am mulling over is fitting 8 Centigors w/ full command, throwing axes and shields into the list for [214] - easy sacrifices would be the spawn, chariot or an ambush unit, and the warhounds.

C&C eagerly awaited!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Beast armies are pretty expensive to build yes, mainly because most of our stuff is still metal.

Concerning a new book, i think mid 20-10 is an acceptable estimate, maybe even late (xmas).

However with a new book will come new models. Potential new beast herds... but at what cost? Boxes of 5 gor 5 ungor for £12? Consider than and all of a sudden buying the current beast herd is a great deal. Sure you may not have the new models, but the current ones are sweet anyway
    [rant]I was shocked to see a box of 10 skellies on the shelf for £12 for the first time yesterday (i know it existed but hadnt actually seen it lol) Seeing it on the shelf made me realise just how pricey 7th ed armies may actually be... £24 for just 1 VC skellie unit!? If beasts get the same treatment our wallets may be really in for hell lol. Oh, and to add insult to injury... the new (VC) models are smaller! I swear fantasy figures used to be bigger than LotR... my Tk skellies are anyway. Buit even the grave guard! they look stupid cos of their small size![/rant]

However other models, like the current Minotaurs and Chariot are awful. Best way for new plastics for these i think.

When it comes to Heroes, im also expecting new plastics for those, but as it seems to be going, more expensive than the current metals? A plastic guy in a box for £12 or a matal guy in a blister for £8... heroes may also be worth buying now (The Beastlords atleast are pretty sweet)

Centigor... definitely wait.

Warhounds, the new chaos ones didnt look as bad irl as they do in pics ive seen, so id recommend them i think

Anyway, onto your list. In general the structure looks pretty decent. Minor niggly thing, drop the banners from the ambush herds.
    Maybe grab another spawn for "symmetry"? And unbreakable is pretty good, especially in this low Ld army Also, i love the fact that youve marked it Nurgle. Possibly the biggest waste of points in the boC book (hehe) but its themed, so its well worth it! yay for not having Chaos corrupted by $$$... sorry, by GW

Ill finish (bet youre thinking "thank god" lol) with my thoughts on the 8G/12U beast herd that i prefer. I think prefer the setup [urely because its cheaper points wise, allowing me to add more elsewhere. And usually only 4-6 Gor fight anyway. With mainly only Ungor dying at range, the losses are cheap there. In combat the herds tend to win or lose big, no real middle ground. i dont often expect to fight more than a round so any Gor losses in combat im fine with too, generally. however i can see exactly where the other side of the arguement comes in, so its all down to personal preference really

Phoenix out! (phew!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reply Phoenix - its quite daunting trying to work out what I want to do without a lot of experience under my belt.

With regards Spawn - is it generally accepted that they will indeed be in the new book?

I was also in two minds about the ambush herd banner bearers - will go and tinker with my list now...

EDIT - List Tinkered - would this make more sense?

LORDS & HEROES
    Beastlord w/ Mark of Nurgle, General, Heavy Armour, Slaughterer's Blade, Pelt of the Dark Young, Horn of the Great Hunt [246]
    Wargor w/ Mark of Chaos Undivided, Heavy Armour, Battle Standard Bearer, The Beast Banner [151]
    Bray Shaman w/ Mark of Nurgle, Lore of Nurgle, Level 2, Bray Staff, 2x Dispel Scrolls [206]
    Bray Shaman w/ Mark of Chaos Undivided, Lore of Beasts, Level 2, Staff of Darkoth, Power Stone [166]

CORE
    16 x Pestigors w/ full command [284] - Beastlord and BSB go with this unit
    9 x Gor, 10 x Ungor w/ full command [138] - Shaman w/ LoN goes here
    9 x Gor, 10 x Ungor w/ full command [138] - Shaman w/ LoB goes here - Ambush Unit
    5 x Gor, 5 x Ungor w/ Foe Render & Musician [80] - Ambush Unit
    5 x Gor, 5 x Ungor w/ Foe Render & Musician [80] - Ambush Unit
    Tuskgor Chariot [85]
    Tuskgor Chariot [85]
    5 x Warhounds of Chaos [30]
    5 x Warhounds of Chaos [30]

SPECIAL

RARE
    Chaos Spawn - Beast of Nurgle [75]

Worked on Phoenix's advice really, but thought that a 2nd Chariot would be of more use than a second Spawn. Ditched one of the small herd and put a larger one with the LoB shaman in ambush... I know its a big unit to bring on the table, but with the Staff of Darkoth it could work - which is also why I left the banner in.

I will start my collection with a Wargor, Bray Shaman (I dont think the minis look all THAT bad...), a few beast regiments, some warhounds, and the chariots, topping up with the metal ungors with spears to get the ratio right in the herds. Building the Pestigor and minotaur units makes my eyes water at the cost - and I thought a Iyanden wraith line was expensive! The minos w/ great weapons look better than the doombull and the minos with 2 weapons in my opinion though, so I might just bite the bullet...

The army would only be built after my current Eldar project (NOT IYANDEN!), which will be very late this year or early next, so a gradual build up of the nicer metals and the beast regiments would not be a bad idea... the Wargor/Beastlord w/ the huge axe is already on my painting desk as I type...
    Last edited by IC_Basilius; August 8th, 2009 at 17:14.

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Yeah, look pretty good Best way to tell? Playtest! Possibly do what i do and use some cardboard squares to test things before you go and empty your wallet... hehe.

+ Reply to Thread