Warriors of Chaos or Daemons or Beasts? Help for new player. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warriors of Chaos or Daemons or Beasts? Help for new player.

Hello fellow Warhammer players.

I'm looking for some help setting up (I'm afraid mostly from scratch) a Chaos army. I'm still doubting whether to go for Daemons of Chaos, Warriors of Chaos or Beasts of Chaos.
    They all seem to have their pro's and cons.
    If I didn't come here I'd just go for the looks and size of models but that's not how it works I suppose.

I have a preference for big and beautiful models (especially blessed by Nurgle or with Nurgle (Greater) Daemons) but I'm open to any other advice. Let me know.

Thank you in advance!

"Rats...."
    - Fraghas the Beastlord right after being charged by 130,000 Skaven at the Battle of the Seven Horns.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by sulphyte View Post
    If I didn't come here I'd just go for the looks and size of models but that's not how it works I suppose.
    I dunno, its what I do!

If you can wait for the new Beasts book then its an ideal time to start them- I suppose a lot of it depends on what sort of army your looking for? magic heavy? good at close combat, lots of big gribbly monsters? Both DoC and WoC are fairly new and have had overhauled miniatures ranges, and obviously BoC are about to be redone so they all have great models.
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello Sir Theobold the Lame,

Thank you for your response.
    I just saw some of the new overhauled BoC but I don't know exactly what to think of them. It's good to read they added some new units though.

I think a combination of magic heavy and fast (cavalry/melee) units. I both like those WoC heroes and the DoC Greater Daemons.

Hope you can still help me out here.
    Cheers!
    "Rats...."
    - Fraghas the Beastlord right after being charged by 130,000 Skaven at the Battle of the Seven Horns.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    253 (x7)

Daemons. Then you can use them in 40K if you wanna play that game. 1 army, 2 games. The only way to actual save money with GW.
    Eldar -APOC- 6500 Points
    Chaos Daemons -Fate Crusher- 3500 Points
    Grey knights - 1000 Points

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    320 (x8)

:o did you decide on an army yet?
    Eternal Newbie

Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x4)

I would steer clear of beastmen for now, at least until they come into thier own due to a shuffling from skirmish units to blocked. I dont think they get the marks anymore like the traditional Chaos Armies either.

This leaves you with WOC and DOC.

WOC are certainly the way to go if your looking for and elite fast hard hitting army whislt toting mark of nurgle which realy does benifit your units in combat and at range, (even if it is a bit coslty points wise its good for what it does). 2 or 3 units of maruader horsemen, some hounds, 1-2 units of knights, mounted lord maybe with some sorcerers to back up your force. you wont end up with alot of models in your army if you go for all the big punchy stuff but with so much punch going about its unlikely you will need it. Its also worth while looking at mixing marks to get the most out of units in WOC which is also the same from DOC.

DOC can be a real power gamers army. You dont get anything for cheap, but bearing in mind that on top of the basic stats, every model in your army has a ward save of 5+ which is the equivelent of a character buying a 30pt magic item for the same save. As i was saying like WOC you can do a nice workable themed army around one of the gods, nurgle, tzeench etc, but to get the most out of them mixing marks and units from different gods will provided you with a very tough force.

If you opt for daemons you get a nice set of models and good looking army which despite more recent releases still more than holds its own in a battle. You dont realy have the points to start massing multiple blocks of 20 guys, as after 600 od points on your general and then as much as another 300-400 on heroes, you then need to spend at least 350ish on you compulsery core units. As such it can be sometimes be difficult to get any flavour in unthemed lists and so alot of them look the same.

Saying this Warriors armies also have a large points sink in buying characters also, but a more individual flavour can be gained through unit choices.

Hope this helps a little.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The debate between WoC and DoC is such a hard choice that to this day I still haven't made it. I say both! I adore them to the point that you are asking a Sophie's Choice. My best suggestion is for you to buy some second hand and give them a shot. If you find that one is not to your liking there is a thriving market to resell them on Craigslist. If you are smart about it you won't even lose any money in the deal.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x5)

THREAD NECROMANCY SPECIAL!

Oh, and Beastmen 10 times out of 10.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rothgar13 View Post
    THREAD NECROMANCY SPECIAL!

Oh, and Beastmen 10 times out of 10.
    Indeed. Also Beastmen is awesome and Krieg.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Warriors. I may be aa bit biased, but from what i've seen they're the most unbroken army in the game. They dominate magic, they dominate combat, the both hit hard and can take damage, can be fast, can be monster heavy or even all monster, can have some of everything. And stealing the enemy's magic is awesome as well. Oh, and finally, they have the most kick-ass characters in the game - chaos sorcerers are as good in combat as some cc lord choices.
    “The ultimate philosophical question, “Am I human or machine” is answered by many people, “I don’t care, as long as I am”
    - Myron Krueger

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast