Topic of the Week - Minotaurs - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Topic of the Week - Minotaurs

Each week, a new topic will be posted up about a different unit in the army book. This gives you your chance to discuss the unit to its fullest. So, please leave your comment!

This week's topic is - Minotaurs.

What is the best weapon options for them? Do you prefer to use command groups? How do you handle their frenzy? What is the best type of unit to charge?

Kuffy

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Minos for me scream Great Weapons. Being able to roll for 2's on anything with below 6 toughness is amazing; combine that with a -4 AS mod and you're ready for business. I personally buy shields for my unit as well because I think 12 points in a unit of three is worth increasing their armor save vs. bow fire/poison skinks. The only time I would take 2xhw is if the unit were going to have a gorbull BSB with the +1 str banner bumping them to 5 str 6 attacks at I3 each.

For command I would always recommend taking a champion. The reason is that if you have a char and a champ in a unit (presumably) on opposite sides of the unit) the enemy will be unable to kill more than one model with a flank charges. Banners are a dangerous thing to take mostly because frenzy+ D6 pursuit/overrun leaves the unit in danger a lot of the time no matter how much planning you do, and often you won't need the banner to win combats. Musicians can be nice as you can rally at 8 without the general, and 10 points isn't too bad a price to pay for that.

I handle frenzy by trying to keep the unit in the middle of my battle line and by making sure to line up other units for charges with the minos. Minos shouldn't be left open for a mass of charges after they kill whatever unit they decided to eat.

Frenzy has its downsides, but I think the benefits, mainly ITP greatly outweigh the costs.

Stubborn units and Unbreakable units that you can fight in prolonged combat are the best for obvious reasons. You can build up your minos frenzy to the point where each is getting 8 or so attacks. Not to mention the fact that minos are pretty squishy and keeping them in combat with a (most likely) very expensive unit will not only make up their points, but aid in point denial as they avoid being shot at.
    Last edited by Naque; February 15th, 2010 at 19:54.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x2)

Minotaurs do look amazing on paper, but in all honesty I don't intend to use them. I would much rather have Centigor filling up my Special slots instead.

As for equipment and numbers, Great Weapons seem to be the favourite for them, making them industrial sized blenders, extra hand weapons aren't necessary with bloodgreed and frenzy and a shield just doesn't really suit them. Ranks are unecessary though may be useful if you face an anvil block of something annoying. Generally a bigger frontage of mooing death is preferable.
    Fantasy: Wood Elves, Dark Elves, Beastmen and Tomb Kings.
    40k: Tyranids
    LotR: Misty Mountains and Rohan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

I usually run two units, each 4 strong. I give one unit great weapons and the other additional hand weapons. I send the great weapon ones towards heavy armored things like knights, and the additional hand weapon ones towards anything that looks like it will be a prolonged combat (stubboron or unbreakable) because in the second round, great weapon minotaurs will take casualties before they get to dish out the pain. I use my great weapon minos as shock troopers and make sure I break their targets on the charge. I usually take a champ for both units, music on neither, and a standard on my additional hand weapon unit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My unit, 3 big with a musiscian and a gorebull BSB character splattered everything that came in front of them. The only problem is, when things get the charge on you, the unit will die or at least, get badly hurt. I'm not sure how to use them yet, they can bring down almost anything when you get them in the right place at the right time, but this really isn't easy.

Oh and GW's are the better option for them. They already have a huge amount of attacks wich will only ever increase so theres no need for 2 hand weapons, and a 4+ safe isn't really going to safe anything but str 3 hits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are freak'n sweet. Just used them yesterday for the first time (from the new book that is). A weird dancing of units, an orc surge, overrun, and a declared Whhaaaggg! that lead to my Minos getting charged first by some wolf riders, then by a giant and wolf chariot. I lost one mino. They ate the wolf riders, obliterated the chariot, and the giant got cut into nice little bits.

I took 4 minos gave them an i-pod and great weapons. I was a little worried when I saw the point total for 4 models, but they paid it back.
    Burnanation's Recruitment Link
    Baby boys are like free bulldozer rental tickets. You have no idea what you're going to do with them but you know they are awesome!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

minataurs id use vs infantry not cavalry.
    the only time id use minaturs vs cavalry is when the enemy charges an infantry unit of mine. i flank charge dem wit minaturs and i win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

i tool my unit up ridiculously... its got the doombull and gorbull bsb with +1 str in it, full command and 2 hand weapons...

but on the charge the unit is dishin 7str 7 attacks(doombull), 5str8 attacks(bsb) and 16 str 6 from 3 guys!!!!, insane ammounts of damage!!!
    a vamp opponent summoned 32 zombies infront on them the other day and started to move his generals unit around but didnt get enough move that turn to get away from my over run, needless to say i caused about 18-20 wounds and the rest crumbled, before i rolled the mighty 6" overrun into his lords unit, and ripped him appart, grave guard and all
    Fantasy : Empire, Chaos Warriors, Chaos Daemons, Vampire Counts, Beastmen, High Elves, Lizardmen( but i have opinions on every army just not the money)
    40k: Black Templars, Imperial Guard, Dark Eldar, Tau (thinking of Eldar)

+ Reply to Thread