Whats the best use of bray-shamans in small point lists? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

Whats the best use of bray-shamans in small point lists?

Good evening,

I was thinking of using a bray-shaman in a 1k list, but I don't have a clue on how to. Playing Khorne most of my Warhammer life, I've never did anything than dispel magic. So, my question is, how would I use such a low wizard (lvl 1) in a 1k list? What items should I give him, how should I place him on the field, and how important is the magic phase in small point games?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by MaleOpener; February 20th, 2010 at 02:56. Reason: typo

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member slann-o-engine-eo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

the best use of bray shamans in small points lists...

well they are shamans..simply put

you upgrade them to level 2 and dont really need any items and try to make sure he has a spellcasting buddy cause mages always work better in pairs or triplets because mass magic can cause havoc upon any foe not able to withstand it and with more than one mage they can support each other by helping break through your opponants dispelling barage.

the other day with the new book I played a 1000 point army against my buddy and the only list I made had 3 level 2 bray shamans in it along with 2 units of 3 razorgors and 4 units of raiders and something else...cant remember but lets just say he was very angry with me muahahaha

the only item i would suggest putting on them at this level would maybe be the staff of darkoth but its not really that worth it anyways it just seems a waste of points every game

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    279 (x7)

Hagtree fetish and a few Death Magic Missiles could be devastating at 1k.
    US Master's Midwest Advisor.
    Come join me at my GT this September www.brewfestgt.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Either keep them lvl 1 with 2 scrolls for magic defence, or staff of darkoth or hagtree fetish as mentioned above.

In either case, mounting them on charriots, tuskgor or razorgor, is always effective. (Unless you face alot of things like cannons).

Shrubs for the Blood God Undead Bonzi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    207 (x5)

I've had good luck running 2 lvl 2s at 1000pts. I use Lore of Beasts because it has a low casting value (a lvl 2 can cast every one of the spells) and the spells just have good synergy with Beasts. I always grabbed Bears Anger for both casters to make them better fighty characters than many armies combat heroes (T5, S5, A4 is nothing to laugh at). I also had Crows Feast and Oxen Stands in the game I played...both are very useful spells to have in a Beastman Army.

I stuck both my casters (kitted out very cheap) in a unit of 22 Gors with F.C. and AHW. Ran the block 6x4 with both characters in it. With both casters running Bears Anger I was tearing through infantry blocks. The unit + Shamans was game MVP by a large margin. Basically I was running the Shamans as fighty characters who gave my dispel dice and it seemed to work out very well.

Bray Shaman
    -lvl 2, Hagtree Fetish

Bray Shaman
    -lvl 2, Gnarled Hide
    The only honorable options left to we combatants is seppuku or semantics...which amount to the same thing really.
    -Undead Bonzi

I AM the Evil Twin! Jared van Kell's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1466 (x8)

I forgot how good Bears Anger is. I think I will try it out when I get my army sorted out. I would do it for normal Shamans but not a Great Bray Shaman as I want him doing what he should be doing, which is casting spells.

JvK
    Basically life sucks, there is only war and you're probably gonna get eaten by Tyranids, have fun.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/trek_hmm.gif

Shrubs for the Blood God Undead Bonzi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    207 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Jared van Kell View Post
    I forgot how good Bears Anger is. I think I will try it out when I get my army sorted out. I would do it for normal Shamans but not a Great Bray Shaman as I want him doing what he should be doing, which is casting spells.

JvK
    Well the beauty of it is that only 2 Lore of Beast spells need line of sight, Crows Feast and Hunters Spear, every other spell is unlimited. Thus I could (and did) use my shamans tied up in close combat to cast Oxen Stands on a unit of fleeing raiders on the other side of the table. Same thing with Beast Cowers and Wolf Hunts...and in a Beastman army that final spell is huge. With core chariots, monsterous rares and things like Razorgors and Centigors the Wolf Hunts spell can do for us what our own lore Bestial Surge never could...get magical charges.

A few important synergies with Beastman magic items and the Lore of Beasts that I have found would be the Skull of Rakros(sp??), Jagged Dagger, Gnarled Hide, and the Hagtree Fetish. A Shaman in close combat with Bears Anger and the Jagged Dagger can generate around 2 or even 3 PD to use for the next phase. The Skull, with its improved casting result takes an easy to cast lore like beasts and makes it even better. You could cast Bears Anger on one dice and have a better than average chance of it going off. Gnarled hide is just nice because it means we can give one caster Heavy Armor...granted its not nearly as good as good wardsave, but it still can come in handy. The Hagtree Fetish works very well with Crows Feast.
    The only honorable options left to we combatants is seppuku or semantics...which amount to the same thing really.
    -Undead Bonzi

+ Reply to Thread