New player that needs a bit of guidance :] - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New player that needs a bit of guidance :]

Hello guys .

I was considering getting back into warhammer as a hobby and when i went down to games workshop, i was immediately drawn into the new beastmen models. I bought a box of gors and a blister with a wargor or whatever in.

So a couple of questions

1. Are they a competitive army? Although i enjoy playing for fun rather than competitively, i wouldn't want an army book that is either too good, or not at all.

2. What's a jabberslythe? i can't find a picture or model .

3. Is this a decent army list that i made up quick:

Beastlord; Heavy armour, the steel claws, gnarled hide. 206

Bray-Shaman; Level 2. 110

20 Ungors; Command, spears. 135

20 Gors; Command, shields. 185

6 Minotaurs; Shields, standard. 354

20 Bestigors; Command. 270

3 Razorgors. 165

Then one of either: Jabberslythe, cygor or ghorgon.

Cheers .

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x2)

1) Most answers point at no, but most competative armies lean towards minotaur rampage.

2) There are no pictures or models. There is a verbal description of it. The sculptors didn't want a picture to work from but wanted a blank slate so to speak. SO a model may be produced in a few years...

3) I don't really comment on army lists but...
    Shields on gor? Not really useful, 6+ saves are not that reliable, two hand weapons are generally preferable in this regard.
    I will leave others who are better at optimising builds to discuss the rest.
    Fantasy: Wood Elves, Dark Elves, Beastmen and Tomb Kings.
    40k: Tyranids
    LotR: Misty Mountains and Rohan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, as I learned recently, Gors with shields aren't that bad, but they need help. For instance, I would put your beastlord in there as well as a Wargor BSB.

Also, I haven't tried blocks of ungors, but they don't seem that great to me. Spears only worth it if they get charged, but if they get charged they will die like nobody's business. I would consider taking 3 6 man squads of raiders. Good for march blocking, flanking, etc. as well as killing war machine crew.

I haven't used bestigors much but many are saying they are not worth the points. If they don't end up working well for you I would consider more minotaurs. They are hella fun.

Lastly, I like either GW or AHW for minos depending on whether I'll have to wade through stubborn units or take down monsters/high armor save models. But that may be preference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Geejo View Post
    Hello guys .

I was considering getting back into warhammer as a hobby and when i went down to games workshop, i was immediately drawn into the new beastmen models. I bought a box of gors and a blister with a wargor or whatever in.

So a couple of questions

1. Are they a competitive army? Although i enjoy playing for fun rather than competitively, i wouldn't want an army book that is either too good, or not at all.

2. What's a jabberslythe? i can't find a picture or model .

3. Is this a decent army list that i made up quick:

Beastlord; Heavy armour, the steel claws, gnarled hide. 206

20 Ungors; Command, spears. 135

6 Minotaurs; Shields, standard. 354

20 Bestigors; Command. 270

3 Razorgors. 165

Then one of either: Jabberslythe, cygor or ghorgon.

Cheers .
    1. With the new set of rules in mind, the competitie aspect of Beastmen will go towards : Gorthor the beastlord or magic heavy. Chariots no longer suffer from instant destruction of high strength attacks, so a chariot Alpha strike build will definitely give your opponents headaches. Minotaur spam will be strong also, and they do not require a Doombull, since he no longer makes them core. That means you can have the leadership of 9 with a beastlord or go for the glory with a wacky doombull.

2. The Jabberslythe is an unreleased model. GW likes to do this for armies it does not thing are popular enough to warrant figurines for certain models. Using the description, you can convert one from anything from a Wyvern, dragon, manticore or even Gryphon.

3. Ungors with spears are a great defensive unit. They will be getting 3 ranks of speared attacks, with the benefit of primal fury. Units of 10 (no spears) are also great for baiting. Gors want 2 hand weapons. They hit very well with primal fury, so you need to benefit from as many attacks as you can for it. They are a purely offensive unit, so shields waste that potential. It goes the same with minotaurs. Shields are nice for longevity, but additional hand weapons or great weapons turn them into an awesome meat grinder.

Ungor raiders are very nice for ambushing. They will kill warmahcine crews like it's nobody's business. I would try to have a unit of 15 gors or ungors for ambushing as well.

As for your lord choice This might be a little more efficient:

Beast Lord @ 251 pts
    Heavy armour, gnarled Hide, Ramhorn Helm, Gouge-Tusks, Many Limbed Fiend, The Steel claws

Mind you, I think you really need the horn, so you can reroll your primal fury tests. If you cannot add a wargore for it, here's a beastlord credited to Grimmtu:

Beast Lord - 246
    Great Weapon, Hand Weapon, Shield, Heavy Armor, Gnarled Hide, Ramhorn Helm, Horn of the Great Hunt
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have rarely failed pruimal fury with my Beastlord. Maybe I am just lucky, but with Ld9 is it really worth spending the points? Statistically there is only a, what, 5 in 36 chance? Not to mention that may fall on a combat with skinks. I like the 1st beastlord. Maybe put the horn, if you want it, on a BSB Wargor like Wolf_Pack said. I would not put it on your lord.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

150 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by boomkapow! View Post
    I have rarely failed pruimal fury with my Beastlord. Maybe I am just lucky, but with Ld9 is it really worth spending the points? Statistically there is only a, what, 5 in 36 chance? Not to mention that may fall on a combat with skinks. I like the 1st beastlord. Maybe put the horn, if you want it, on a BSB Wargor like Wolf_Pack said. I would not put it on your lord.
    The horn afflects are greater radius than your beastlord's leadership. so it will affect the herds outside his general leadership of 9. Five in 25 is almost one out of six chances, and even that is too high of a risk for me. If those beastmen aren't passing their test, things go downhill very fast. 50 points is a great price for such an item.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But that takes up a lot of a beastlords magic item allotment. I agree that it would be good for a wargor, especially a BSB wargor, but when you have one lord and 50 of his magic item points are on a horn...seems like a waste. Beastlords are one of only a few rank bolstering units (as in he will greatly help combat resolution). And in an army where your troops are not heavy hitters, your options are fairly limited. So on that note, if one was to take the horn, I would put it on a BSB Wargor over a lord anyday, which I believe you said earlier:

"If you cannot add a wargore for it, here's a beastlord credited to Grimmtu:" --Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So you think a beastmen Chariot list will be effective? It sure would be awesome, needs a new model though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

150 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by biadetic View Post
    So you think a beastmen Chariot list will be effective? It sure would be awesome, needs a new model though.
    I am conveting orc pastic chariots. They do a great job. Put some horns on the boards, putty some mutated skin and voila. I have extra ungors and bestigors to put on them, so it works out nicely. With the nerfing of skirmish units, you will have an easier time using them as cruise missiles. A wargor on a razorgore chariot is a fearsome prospect, remember that the razogore gets to benefit from primal fury as well. Mind you, you will have to use a few of them to hit a unit hard enough to win combat. since your enemies will most likely outnumber you, they will benefit from being stubborn. So you will have to play smart and probably use minotaurs for flanking and ungors to break flanks or simply add cheap weight to combat. Warhounds can also do this.

This is another list I want to try out as well.

@ Boomkapow! Unless he drops a shaman, he will not be able to fit in a wargore BSB. That's why I sugested that build, since it would compromise his magic offense/defence
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

+ Reply to Thread