What is the best way to start Beastmen? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x2)

What is the best way to start Beastmen?

Title says it all really, I'm looking to start either Beastmen, Skaven, Lizardmen or some other fourth army and thought I'd ask in each forum to see which army is the best for me. So then, experts! What is the best way to start with the Cloven Ones?

+++XENOS SPOTTED+++ thrilling battles within the Vitorina subsector: http://xenosspotted.blogspot.com/

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x2)

Well I guess it depends on what sort of army you are looking for. Your patience, your playing style, your budget and any themes you want to incorporate.

A lot of people will reccomend Ungor Raiders, they are the only archer unit in the army and also the only non-flying skirmish unit in the army. They can be taken in small groups and some people who play Minotaur Armies simply take the necessary small units of Ungor to make their army legal. Even if not planing a Minotaur Army they are still effective support for other units.
    Fantasy: Wood Elves, Dark Elves, Beastmen and Tomb Kings.
    40k: Tyranids
    LotR: Misty Mountains and Rohan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

56 (x2)

Basically I want an army that can give me big units of infantry which are good at what they do, with supporting units which can charge the flank or hold their own. Awesome characters are a plus as well. I avoid human and elf armies like the plague though, never really enjoyed being "normal"
    +++XENOS SPOTTED+++ thrilling battles within the Vitorina subsector: http://xenosspotted.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x2)

Cool,

With Beastmen you might not find you get units as big as skaven or as varied as Lizardmen, with 8th edition on the horizon as well you may want to stick to very basic units (Raiders, some Gor for padding, maybe a chariot, a warrior and a mage character) and familiarise each unit changes with 8th edition rules. Unfortunately from a few perspectives the beastmen are quite balanced, we can ambush which is fun, but not overly powerful, we can have some rather shiny creatures (which unfortuantely are costly) we can be effective and strong, but don't directly shine out in any one area (unless you build a filthy list ;¬) but that will be much harder in 8th edition for most people now so, it's all good!)

So far the play style of Beastmen doesn't look like it will change much at all - thankfully they were drawn up with 8th in mind - so the purposes of some units will change very minimally while ohers will not have changed at all.

The Allies rule will also be of interest to you if you're still undecided on armies, as it means a proportio of your army can have units from another book. (Lizardmen play for the good guys however, so won't be able to join Beasties or Ratties) so if there are specific models or units from the darker armies that catch your eye you can utillise them as a means of padding out your army and also introducing tactical benefits and challenges.

If you build Raiders I encourage you to keep the sprues, with the spear arms that are unused from a raider unit you can use them in conversions of Centigor or other units from similar armies to blend in better.

We have quite a few fun characters, I tend to avoid special characters, but standard lord/hero choices have quite a few options which will only see improvement with the new book with a realm of new changes and a plethora of items now usable by us.
    Fantasy: Wood Elves, Dark Elves, Beastmen and Tomb Kings.
    40k: Tyranids
    LotR: Misty Mountains and Rohan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

56 (x2)

I was thinking of getting 2 battalions plus characters. Do you think this would be a good way to start off? Thanks for all your help so far!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would recommend against the battalion because of the bestigors. Perhaps you don't need them.

Simple multiple boxes of Gors and multiple boxes of Ungors (and perhaps the old Beasts of Chaos Beast Herd if you can find them) should be a good start.

Then harpies, chariots, minotaurs, characters, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Spikes View Post
    I would recommend against the battalion because of the bestigors. Perhaps you don't need them.

Simple multiple boxes of Gors and multiple boxes of Ungors (and perhaps the old Beasts of Chaos Beast Herd if you can find them) should be a good start.

Then harpies, chariots, minotaurs, characters, etc.
    Betigors will be viable in 8th. They are also the coolest models of the range as well. with lore of beasts, they can move to T5 S7 (S8 with the +1 strength banner!) so they will pack quite the punch.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

56 (x2)

What's wrong with Bestigors, exactly? I thought of them as just tougher and stronger Empire Greatswords. I haven't got the book, so I don't know what they cost in points, so that might be the difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Chatawax View Post
    What's wrong with Bestigors, exactly? I thought of them as just tougher and stronger Empire Greatswords. I haven't got the book, so I don't know what they cost in points, so that might be the difference.
    They will be fine. Right now they don't have enough "mmph" but they will have good stoping power with the way casualties will be removed.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

56 (x2)

Sweet! I was gonna go for the battalion anyway, since it really is good value ($151 for $192, you basically get the Ungors free), and I do love the Bestigor models. Goat-men with giant freakin' axes people! Getting two will help me get to the unit of 30-40 Bestigors that I want in my 3k army. Cheers!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast