Thinking of starting small beastman horde, any suggestions? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking of starting small beastman horde, any suggestions?

Well, Ide like to start a new army for 8th edition and after reading through the the rulebook, i think I'm gonna try for an underplayed army like beastman. Go for a big block of Gors, Ambush with Ungor Raiders, Ide REALLY love to use the new monsterous infantry stuff too like stomp, so probably gonna get a lot of Minators. Any Suggestions or feedback? Best way to start?

Vampire Counts-4000 Points
    Empire-2250 Points
    Black Templars-2000 Points

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x2)

However you wish to, I guess

I'd start with a list that includes the models I like, personally, or what seems like the more interesting project.

Minotaurs are a popular choice, the characters are expensive point wise which makes them a little less attractive this edition, but a lot of people enjoy minotaur-prominent armies.

Ungor Raiders are useful as our only archer unit, that and Cygors pretty much make the shooting phase

Familiarise yourself with the Errata as well before writing a list. A lot of people made presumptions on some of the specific rules which have been changed with the latest FAQ. In a way you are at an advantage - with the change to Beastmen playstyle with the new book and the new rules following after there's been a bit of alienation - with a fresh pair of eyes to look at all the current rules you'll probably be able to make a pretty fair and balanced list without having to worry on existing army models and tactics associated with your army

Good luck, hope you have fun with them
    Fantasy: Wood Elves, Dark Elves, Beastmen and Tomb Kings.
    40k: Tyranids
    LotR: Misty Mountains and Rohan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey there 'VC4tw',

Beastmen will be doing very well in this edition, however as many people point out, they require a bit more finesse and planning than most Chaos Warriors. We lack the armor of our 'mortal' brethren. That being said, our units are cheaper, some great abilities (ambush, primal fury, despoilers, blood greed....etc. ) and our mobility and ambush allows for flexible battle plans.

I recently started a Beastman Army and have had a blast. Some of my tips are:
    * buy a battalion box. (Maybe 2.) These will be your core infantry and you will want to use them in big blocks or numerous to overwhelm the enemy from all directions. Bestigors are much better now and you'll want those guys, separately, they're almost 1/2 the price of the battalion!
    * Invest in a chariots: cheap in points, Cheap in dollars and core units that can really add a great striking force to your army.
    * Hold off on the Monstrous Infantry: Wait on the minotaurs. I made the mistake of buying 3 boxes, and looking at them, they are quite costly and vulnerable to fire on their stampede across the field. They are a big point sink, so really think about them before you buy these gorgeous models. However, a doombull /gorebull can do wonders and slaughter anything and everything.
    * buy more ungor: these cheap guys will be doing a ton that the Beastmen general needs to win. Taking out warmachines, harrying flanks, distracting enemies and even cheap blocks to use the new 'horde rules'.

Your infantry will be your bread and butter in most fights. Monsters are there to add some heavy power, but will need infantry to hold the line.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Blackspine View Post
    Hey there 'VC4tw',

Beastmen will be doing very well in this edition, however as many people point out, they require a bit more finesse and planning than most Chaos Warriors. We lack the armor of our 'mortal' brethren. That being said, our units are cheaper, some great abilities (ambush, primal fury, despoilers, blood greed....etc. ) and our mobility and ambush allows for flexible battle plans.

I recently started a Beastman Army and have had a blast. Some of my tips are:
    * buy a battalion box. (Maybe 2.) These will be your core infantry and you will want to use them in big blocks or numerous to overwhelm the enemy from all directions. Bestigors are much better now and you'll want those guys, separately, they're almost 1/2 the price of the battalion!
    * Invest in a chariots: cheap in points, Cheap in dollars and core units that can really add a great striking force to your army.
    * Hold off on the Monstrous Infantry: Wait on the minotaurs. I made the mistake of buying 3 boxes, and looking at them, they are quite costly and vulnerable to fire on their stampede across the field. They are a big point sink, so really think about them before you buy these gorgeous models. However, a doombull /gorebull can do wonders and slaughter anything and everything.
    * buy more ungor: these cheap guys will be doing a ton that the Beastmen general needs to win. Taking out warmachines, harrying flanks, distracting enemies and even cheap blocks to use the new 'horde rules'.

Your infantry will be your bread and butter in most fights. Monsters are there to add some heavy power, but will need infantry to hold the line.
    A unit if 6 minotaurs will be an unstopable force in the old world. They are your hammer in this edition, and sadly will be an auto-inclusion in most beast armies of 1,500 points or more.

They were OK before, they are amazing now. The price tag is efty, but well worth it.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

150 (x8)

double postage.
    Last edited by Wolf_Pack; July 14th, 2010 at 23:37.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya, I get paid tomorrow, so hoping to pick up 2 battalions, Doombull, 2 shaman, few ungor boxes to start off with, dont wanna get to carried away with the amount of painting. Will be a fun good start. Probably going to have to buy 2 boxes of Minators, there beauty pulls me in just to much, lol. How do you all equip them? I was thinking of 2 handed weapons for the major damage. Also, I figure I'm gonna make about 20 ungors into ungor raiders. How should I equip the rest? Thinking Use a big block of them perhaps with shields for the Horde rule, and ambush with the gors and ungor raiders? Or should I go for a big Horde block of Gors, and ambush with ungors and ungor raiders. Any suggestions on those few parts? tysm
    Last edited by VampireCountsFTW; July 15th, 2010 at 04:38.
    Empire-2250 Points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doubt post my bad.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Last edited by VampireCountsFTW; July 15th, 2010 at 04:59.
    Empire-2250 Points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

150 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by VampireCountsFTW View Post
    Ya, I get paid tomorrow, so hoping to pick up 2 battalions, Doombull, 2 shaman, few ungor boxes to start off with, dont wanna get to carried away with the amount of painting. Will be a fun good start. Probably going to have to buy 2 boxes of Minators, there beauty pulls me in just to much, lol. How do you all equip them? I was thinking of 2 handed weapons for the major damage. Also, I figure I'm gonna make about 20 ungors into ungor raiders. How should I equip the rest? Thinking Use a big block of them perhaps with shields for the Horde rule, and ambush with the gors and ungor raiders? Or should I go for a big Horde block of Gors, and ambush with ungors and ungor raiders. Any suggestions on those few parts? tysm
    due to the restriction on supporting attacks (and the fact that you will gain frenzy) great weapons rock on those guys. S7 lets them hunt down monsters and heavy targets.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heavy weapons are amazing on them, as Senior Wolf_pack pointed out.
    Another option is to equip them with AHW for an additional attack and watch them chew through ranks of units. Their initiative is quite respectable too. This may be very helpful as this edition is all about ranks/ masses/ hordes etc.

*quick note: don't monstrous infantry, such as the minotaurs, get full attacks from ranks? I could be mistaken. I haven't had time to digest the whole rule book yet due to work

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Montrous Infantry can make the number of base attacks it has up to a maximm of three attacks in the second rank. So Minotaurs, have 3 attacks. Its a good rule.
    Orc Army 40k. Wins 5 -2 Losses. Loss vs Chaos Marines.
    Currently Collecting Dwarves WFB. Time to get my Beard on!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast