Beastmen Interest. I need help being convinced! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    loves purple tyranids SGluciousa's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x2)

Beastmen Interest. I need help being convinced!

I am an avid 40k player and I have never really ventured into the realm of fantasy. Although I LOVE the characters and the models, I was told that the rules were really messy and that in general, 40k was the better thing to stick with. However, since the start of my hobbying experience, I have really enjoyed building and painting just for the hell of it, even though I have no need for the model. I often will just paint something and then throw it on Ebay and hope for the best.
    It is time for this to change as I have found a new army that proved to me Love at first sight exists.
    The Beastmen, if you didn't get it by now, is that army. Not only do I like their background and artwork, but I think that the model possibilities are outstanding! I have wanted to start a sort of Elite army, and I think the Beastmen are it. Although they are not completely elite, as they have the ungors and the like, I still think that they have the right amount of models where I can make a really colorful army, and not suffer from being bored by their large amount. In 40k I play nids and there are times where I would rather watch paint dry and grass grow, then paint another 10 termagaunts

Anyway, although I love the Beasts, I am not 100% positive if I should get into this right now. I am going to list the Pros and Cons and see what you guys say.

Pros:
    -Stunning models (besides the mino's which I don't really care for), especially the Beastlord with Great weapon (who will totally be in my army!)
    -The ability to paint War Paint (which I have always wanted to do)
    -Elite Army which is not too expensive to make
    -I love them

Cons:
    -I don't have a large amount of time with school starting again
    -I would only have 1 other player (which is sadly the same thing with 40k , but there is the chance that he won't start Fantasy with me)
    -I don't like the Mino's that much, but a lot of people say you need them
    -I don't know how to play fantasy

Anyway, I just bought some Gors and the Beastlord off Ebay for very little just so that I could paint them for fun, but I may start this army up.

Also, if I do end up starting, what would be some smart buys. I don't know how the point thing runs yet, but I was thinking 2 groups of Ungor Raiders, a full squad of 40 gors, a giant (or one of the special ones) the Beastlord, and 3 Mino's to start. How does that sound?

Thanks a bunch guys!

The Great Plague meets The Devourer of The Galaxy. What does that make us?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x2)

In regards to the minotaurs, I don't use them personally. Then again I do not play competatively either.

The Minotaur models are a little odd - but do not judge the models on the standard paint scheme - it does NOT do the model justice. It's a bulky model with roid-rage, sure, but with a darker paint scheme (akin to older beasties) they're not half as bad, even vaguely pleasant!

In October the boxed game is being released with the small rulebook, you may be able to nab one off ebay on the cheap if you're not wanting the full rulebook with all the fluff and such.

For now, paint for fun, they're lovely models and have a lot of conversion opportunities to take up your time with as well. There are several players on here who are better than me at drumming up an army list so I won't encroach on that territory
    Fantasy: Wood Elves, Dark Elves, Beastmen and Tomb Kings.
    40k: Tyranids
    LotR: Misty Mountains and Rohan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SGluciousa View Post
    The Beastmen, if you didn't get it by now, is that army. Not only do I like their background and artwork, but I think that the model possibilities are outstanding! I have wanted to start a sort of Elite army, and I think the Beastmen are it. Although they are not completely elite, as they have the ungors and the like, I still think that they have the right amount of models where I can make a really colorful army, and not suffer from being bored by their large amount.
    I like the idea of 'elite beastmen'. Beastmen are an odd army. They are not 'Horde' but are not nearly as expensive as other armies ( Chaos, dwarves), but will have a lot of 'rank and file' grunts. You will need them, the Gors and ungors get things done. I can't tell you how many dwarves were skewered on the ranks of ungor spearmen in the midst of primal fury. for the grunt's costs, they are worth it.
    To help with the 'Elite' idea you can try this trick. If you take a unit of "centigors" and take Ghorros as an upgrade character, who is amazing in his own rights, the centigors become 'core'. This will give your army a costlier 'core' and cut down on the rank and file troopers....giving more of an elite status.
    You can also try the 'warpaint idea'. On my blog, you'll see pictures of Gor Herds with warpaint. They have a feeling of a 'clan', you can say that they're part of the warlord's retinue.

Quote Originally Posted by SGluciousa View Post
    Anyway, although I love the Beasts, I am not 100% positive if I should get into this right now. I am going to list the Pros and Cons and see what you guys say.

Pros:
    -Stunning models (besides the mino's which I don't really care for), especially the Beastlord with Great weapon (who will totally be in my army!)
    -The ability to paint War Paint (which I have always wanted to do)
    -Elite Army which is not too expensive to make
    -I love them

Cons:
    -I don't have a large amount of time with school starting again
    -I would only have 1 other player (which is sadly the same thing with 40k , but there is the chance that he won't start Fantasy with me)
    -I don't like the Mino's that much, but a lot of people say you need them
    -I don't know how to play fantasy
    Time is something that no one can help you with. I set up my gors, ungors and bestigors in an assembly line and did 10 at a time. I had to work fast, but it was a great challenge. They ended up looking pretty darn good.

Minotaurs are overrated in my opinion. They are amazing, yes, but they are INCREDIBLY expensive for the beastman army. Looking at them on paper, they are nice. They do their job if and when they get to combat. However, being beastmen, we don't have that much supporting fire or reliable ways to supress enemy fire and these guys are bullet, arrow, bolt, Cannon ball magnets. I can't stress that enough. If you can't get them to combat, they won't chew faces.
    I like them, but they are not the end all be all in my army. They are fantastic for drawing fire and allowing my bestigors and chariots do their work. If a full unit of bestigors make it unhampered or untouched down the field, well it's going to get ugly very fast.

Bestigors are overlooked. For nearly 1/5th the price of a minotaur, they do a good amount of damage and have heavy armor. Like the minotaurs, the more they win the better they get. No frenzy, but more combat resolution, which adds up. Wipe out a few skaven, you have more and more +1 +1 + 1 from their stolen banners.

Bestigors will help with that 'elite' look. they are the only Beastmen to have good armor and lore wise they are the elite guards to any beastlord/ wargor. All wargors and beastlords have come from their ranks.

Also, if I do end up starting, what would be some smart buys. I don't know how the point thing runs yet, but I was thinking 2 groups of Ungor Raiders, a full squad of 40 gors, a giant (or one of the special ones) the Beastlord, and 3 Mino's to start. How does that sound?
    I like your list!
    For the same money, you could buy two battalions and have +20 bestigors.
    I'd hold off on the giant, and they don't have any of our truly bad*ss monsters released yet.
    the razorgor is very fun and versatile. I had mine stampede unhindered down the field and with one wound left, take out the enemy warmachines. The ugliness made it even more fun.

3 minotaurs is a good start. Will get you a feel for the beasts!

good luck!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you don't like Minotaurs, which are awesome hard hitters, Your hammer might have too be Beastigors.
    Now I've heard Beastigors are good in 8th ed if supported properly, but i can't attest too this as i don't use them.

Also I'm not sure how you feel about minotaur characters but they are pretty damn good, sticking a Doom/Gorebull in a unit will frenzy it,alas you lose the primal fury, but in the end its a little better than PF.

Wargors are awesome, and one of the few heros that come T5 standard, and are pretty cheap.

Beastmen also have access too Beasts and Shadows, as well as Wild, making their shamans very supporty, perfect for their playstyle. Nothing says oh crap like making your unit of Gors S4 T5.

loves purple tyranids SGluciousa's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x2)

Wow, thanks for all the help guys!
    Blackspine, you have a very pretty army there! I couldn't find any warpaint though which is a bummer, but I did find someone's deathskull army which has painted on skulls over their faces, and it looks incredible!
    I like the idea of at least one battalion. I usually buy my stuff on Ebay because I am a cheapo and I can get a lot of money from selling things, and in general, I can get the battalions fairly cheap, so I think one would be a good idea. I wasn't originally going to include Bestigors, but because I really don't like the look of the Minotaurs, I think they will be necessary. Also, some razorgor chariots seem really cool, as do the centigors! I saw a really nice conversion for the centigors that keeps them plastic, as I dislike metal as much as the minotaurs
    The reason I would get a Giant is simply because I love the rules for them. I think that they can add so much character to the army and I wouldn't play it competitively. Also, painting it should be a lot of fun.

Looking at something like
    20 ungor raiders
    40 gors
    20 beastigors
    centigors?
    beastlord
    giant

I still have yet to read the rulebook, as it is on it's way, but I hope something like that is legal.

Once again, thanks a bunch guys!
    The Great Plague meets The Devourer of The Galaxy. What does that make us?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The new 8th Ed rules have really swapped things around. For one, Supporting Attacks being restricted to 1 (3 for Monstrous stuff) means Primal Fury beats the hell out of Frenzy any day of the week.

Minotaurs also suffer from Stepping Up - they do damage, but take it back pretty hard, and don't have the ranks. Definitely no longer necessary, but still a brutal support unit.

Bestigors are awesome. 2 ranks of attacks is 10 attacks at WS4 with re-rolls (Primal Fury is easy to pass with new Battle Standard rules) at Str 6. You might strike last, so you will take casualties - but you're going to do a lot more damage, and you're T4 with a 5+ save and will have plenty of ranks to back it up.

Try to get about 25 Bestigors, just so you've got a good block to survive some shooting. Ungor Raiders aren't that necessary anymore though, I've found them mostly used in small groups for ambush harassment.

Giants aren't too bad either, though keep a Battle Standard nearby so they can re-roll their break tests. With the new rules their additional Thunderstomp attack means they do a tonne of damage, and even in death can still smoosh a unit. New charge rules means they're more like to not get shot down on the way too. They definitely got a lot better - as before their attacks were distributed as shooting, so they could never stop a front rank from killing them before. Sure, there's more attacks coming back, but the damage they do is downright ridiculous now.

Word of advice: You NEED a wizard. They help with dispelling, and though they're not as compulsory as before, you need at least one. Plus, magic's wonderful - the Lore of Beasts in the main rulebook has a brilliant base spell.

Centigors are risky, but I like them. Their low initiative (unless you roll Sober) means a lot of people prefer Great Weapons on them, but I like having that 4+ armour save. Plus, when you roll Sober you'd be amazed at just how much damage you do. Very much a support army though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmmm now that he mentions it, bobo is right PF is gonna be alot better than frenzy for what your going for. I use my gors in small blocks of 10 but the larger than unit the better PF would be better. I use ungors mainly, not sure how strong you should make your gor units, maybe 20? I like ungor spearmen really strong though, 30+ easy, 24 maybe for smaller games.

+ Reply to Thread