Need help from you veteran Beastmen players! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need help from you veteran Beastmen players!

What's up guys. So I recently purchased the Beastmen book and played my first game the other day with them. However, it was a 2v2 1500 point match up, and the enemies I went against were Dwarves and Skaven. Aka, Shooty McShooterson, with a side of Magic.

Anywho, the game went terribly, with them decimating myself (and my partner)'s forces without ever really getting to see much CC. I'm just wondering on what would be the best tactics to use for a Beastmen army. I didn't hold any units in ambush, and now I'm thinking that I definitely should have. I thought with a movement value of 5, we would have gotten into CC ALOT faster. Anyway, this is the 1500 point list I used, and I could use some help with tweaking it if need be. I feel like it's not too bad, solid, and can do pretty good once in close combat. It's getting to CC...lol.

Beastlord
    Gnarled Hide, Ramhorn Helm, Armour of Destiny, Sword of Might, Shield

Wargor
    Armour of Silvered Steel, ADH, BSB

30 Gors
    Full Command, ADH

30 Gors
    Full Command, Shields

24 Bestigors
    Full Command, War Banner

10 Haripes

2 Chaos Spawns

I put the Lord with the Bestigors, and the BSB with the 30 Gors w/ADH. I really want to use a Ghorgon, I think they are so cool, however I knew I was up against Dwarves and Skaven and I didn't want a shooting target. My harpies never got to their war machines, and the Chaos Spawns rolls for movement was never higher than a 7. I lose 22 models in turn one of the magic phase, then shooting I lost even more. It went downhill from there.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First off, that is a rough enemy to go against. For your first battle, that is just absurd. Skaven are tough nuts to crack, and so are dwarves. put them together? Ouch.

what army was your ally fielding?

So from the looks of things, you've kind of caught your own mistakes.
    Here's some of my suggestions with your list.

Chaos spawns: no. In this edition, they are not too hot. For their points you can get fast charging Razorgors or almost a WHOLE chariot. The slow move is not what you need at all. Beastmen rely on speed and lots of attacks; Chaos Spawns can promise none of those reliably. They look cool, but will let you down big time.

Gor Herd: Nice numbers! you want to run your main force this big. Never use HW & Sh. It's too costly to do nothing. That 6 up armor save does nothing vs pretty much anything (esp the dwarven shooting) and for the SAME price AHW will recoop the losses. When you get into combat, w/ primal fury and AHW you will be throwing a truck ton of dice their way...and eventually hit most of them. You NEED AHW on your gors. I can't stress this enough. HW& sh for maybe ungors, but not for gors.

Magic: Lore of the beast would help you survive shooting phase and add some dispel. Wyssan's wildform is MADE for our army. great synergy w/ the lore. Always run w/ at least a lvl 2 bray shaman.

Ambushers: Yes indeed! You need something in this regard. Your large unit of 30 could be AMAZING, but w/o Khazrak and his ambush re-roll, its a BIG gamble for this point size. I'd suggest 2 units of 18-20ish ; one for on the field and one for ambush.

* also: ungor raiders. great screeners and amazing ambushers. I had one unit of 8 take out 1 organ gun, 1 cannon and one grudge thrower in ONE GAME. the dwarves cried in their beards that day. I can't stress their importance. Even if they do F* all, they take some shooting off your main force.

Harpies: very very expensive for what they do. I ran a unit once and they got shot to crap and back...which is better than my main units. For their scouting price, id rather run 2 units of 6 ungor raiders w/ musicians. Some people swear by them, i'm still experimenting....but in small groups.

CHALICE OF DARK RAIN: this item is your friend. at low lvl games your lvl 2 brayshaman should have this. It will shut down shooting when you're in CLOSE range of their guns/ archers. the warmachines have to roll a 4+ or can't fire. Add this with ambushers and you have a very upset gunline.

I would see if you can add a chariot in that list, add ungor raiders, lose the spawns, lessen the # of harpies and add more ambushers. The BSB is a must, try MR on him? Iron curse icon is a cheap and effective talisman. I love the Manbane standard on the Bestigors or the Swift stride one (+1 move). In tourneys' flaming for vs regen/ cav.

Remember: beastmen have no ZOMG-WIN! option, but a ton of VERY nasty combinations. You add up Chalice, ambushing units (in your case 18 gors, 8 ungor raiders) then toss in harpies, it's a whole different ball game.
    Best of luck!

( I do hope your ally brings shooting or some way of interrupting his ranks)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks man those tips are helpful, I appreciate it. Yeah I really should have put in ambushers. I just wasn't sure. I know the Chaos Spawns aren't the greatest, but I was hoping they would actually just be a cheap, free target to shoot them up instead of my main blocks. My teammate was Chaos Warriors, and the teams were only set up like that because we rolled dice for teams. He actually didn't too bad. He had some chariots that got into combat quick, and they saw my huge blocks of Gors and shot them up quick. I've been wanting to use magic ever since 8th came out, but I want to use my Lizardmen or HE for that. I'll definitely put in a Bray Shaman next round.

I guess it takes your first game to see what changes you could make, and improvements. Again, appreciate that man. Some of that I kinda figured myself, but seeing it from other people makes you really change your format.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay so I re-modified my army, and I'll show you what changes I made. Hopefully it'll work out next time a little better.

Khazrak

Wargor
    Armour of Silvered Steel
    ADH
    BSB

Bray-Shaman
    Level 2
    Chalice of Dark Rain

20 Gors
    Full Command
    AHW

20 Gors
    Full Command
    AHW

10 Ungor Raiders

10 Ungor Raiders

24 Bestigors
    Full Command
    Manbane Standard

5 Haripes
    Scouts

The only thing that disappoints me is the fact that I had to shave my units of 30 down to units of 20. I'm still not sure if I should ambush with 1 unit of Gors, or just keep both of them on the battlefield. I know my Ungor raiders (1 unit) can ambush, and the Harpies have scouts-rule this time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would just combine the gors into one large field worthy block and not worry about them ambushing. make it about 30 or so.
    with the extra points if you want to ambush, toss in more units of raiders. I like to run 6 or 9 numbers w/ musician. You can lob a ton of these and they will hit w/ Khazrak.
    or you could add 2 large groups of Ungors w/ SH/ HW instead of the gors.

good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lastly I would run harpies and raiders in units of 6 or 7. This makes it so you only take panic if they kill 3, in which case they are unit strength 3 or 4 and dont panic other units. Just a thought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by boomkapow! View Post
    Lastly I would run harpies and raiders in units of 6 or 7. This makes it so you only take panic if they kill 3, in which case they are unit strength 3 or 4 and dont panic other units. Just a thought.
    Unit Strength has been removed, so if you run through a friendly unit, you panic them. Personally, I think Ungor Raiders should only be used to make the enemy place his unit first, so you can place your more important units, accordingly. Two units of five models is ideal. Wouldnt worry about if they get shot at. If your enemy chooses to shoot at the Ungor Raiders, be my guest.
    Lastly, one huge unit of gors with additional hand weapon, and, possibly, with the banner that gives them 1+ strength. Its one unit, that is going to wreck absolute havock.

+ Reply to Thread