My Beastmen Tactica: II - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

My Beastmen Tactica: II

Gather 'round fellow Beasties for another installment of my tactica. This month's topic is Beastlords and Wargors and in adition to strategies, I've got some homegrown fluff I wrote! Read on.

It was a cold dawn. Kragtaar swung low, ducking his enemies thrust, and hewing his legs off at the shin in a crimson arc. Apart from his bulk and impressive mantle of horns, the only thing setting Kragtaar apart from his lesser kin, was that he posessed some semblance of skill in battle. The others had no subtlety or finesse, but in the hack and slash of close quarters combat, their savagery made up for it a hundred fold. They were all elbows, and hooves, and horns, and blades, as unpredictable to fight as the gods whom they spilled blood for.
    Kragtaar stood up straight, raising his head, his nostrils flaring, drinking in deep the swirling melee all about him. As he inhaled great breaths, the smell of blood and sweat and fear burned his senses. There was also the scent of the woods and of primeval things wich these impudent smooth skins dared to tread near. Kragtaar shouted to his ilk, "Come on, push you weaklings!", becoming bellicose almost to the point of abandon. He had butchered his way through this human bodyguard all morning looking for the feeble chieftan leading them and now, he could practically taste him.
    The hairy muscular line grinded on, in Kragtaars wake was now a trail of carnage. Grown men screamed for a death yet to come, others desperatley cradled their innards, hopelessly trying to shovel them back into their evicerated torsos and split bellies, crow food. As Kragtaar closed in on the garishly uniformed prince, two guards assailed him sinking their swords deep into his flesh. Kragtaar headbutted the first man, caving in his skull with a rotten crunch, and, in one motion, swung his head around, his pronged horn punching into the other guards neck. As a third guard filled the gap, Kragtaar swung his head back around to meet him, tearing out the throat of the second man and bleeding him white instantly. The third guard lunged at Kragtaar who parried and then sunk his axe into the human's head cleaving his skull to the teeth.

Witnessing the grisly display, The captain could only wail, and put up his shield in defense. Kragtaar pummeled the steel kite leaving a deep gouge and stumbling the shaking prince onto his back foot. Kragtaar, enraged by the display of stubborness, roared with fury. This worm couldn't hope to win anymore than a louse could hope to fell a wolf, nothing more than an irritation, an itch to be scratched out. To the mud with him. Again and again Kragtaar hammered the plate, the violent blows jarring the prince beneath it. Then, finally, with one almighty heave, the shield exploded in spectacular fasion, sending shards flying in every direction. The eyes of the prince, his expression now unveiled, were all white, like some prey animal caught in a death bite. Indifferent, Kragtaar swung outwards, lopping off the man's head and eliciting a spray of brown red blood from his neck. Time seemed to slow almost to a halt as Kragtaar bathed in the arterial shower. All around, the killing fields were now steaming with the heat of fresh gore and the warmth from men's dying breaths. Little was left of the battle now but a bloody smear on the landscape. Kragtaar picked up his fallen enemie's head and roared in triumph "Tonight, there will be much manflesh to eat!". It was a good day to be a beastman. The gods will be most pleased.

What can I say about Beastlords and Wargors that hasn't already been said about pairs of fresh underwear? Pack plenty of them. In particular, the BSB. A WARGOR BSB SHOULD BE IN EVERY LIST, PERIOD. There is no excuse you could give me to justify not taking a wargor BSB in 8th ed. unless your already packing a gorebull BSB. The Ld. benefits they offer are too essential to sherk on, and the fact that they let you re-roll primal fury is just awesome sauce. And on that note, it brings me back to the 'pack plenty of em' motto. I've been spamming several wargors in my lists as of late beacause in 8th ed. this is a much more viable option and for a moderate price, not only do you get Ld. 8, but also a combat booster shot. I mean, how cool is it when your opponent dishes out a challenge, to not just have some lame champ to take up the gauntlet, but a hero? It bears repeating.....Awesome sauce.

But its not just BSB's and hero spamming that make Beast Characters effective but also dressing for the job. You don't see guys in astronaut suits doing the hundred meter dash, or ballerinas putting out structure fires. Likewise, you Beastlord or wargor's loadout should reflect his battlefield role. Your 'fast striking extra rippy' Beastlord shouldn't have a great weapon and little else, and you 'survivor' BSB shouldn't have the steel claws and no armor. And, however you arm them, their deployment should be the same. Front and center. Beast characters lead from the head rather than the rear. That type of tactic is more suited to armies like skaven and empire. No, our Characters should be in the thick of it, anchoring our battle lines and bolstering our premier units.

Now, suffice it to say, that the Beastlord and Wargor are two seperate....erm....Beasts. There is a very big pts. hike from hero to lord, thus you shouldn't try the spamming tactic with anything but wargors, and the extra armor and equipment investment should be reserved for the Beastlord, mundane weapons and gear being much more appropriate for heroes.
    Some sample kits I use are...
    "the number killer":Wargor, Brass cleaver, Many Limbed Fiend.
    "the supporter": BSB with the horn of the great hunt.
    "Kraagtar"(my general):Beastlord, heavy armor, shield, gore tusks, gnarled hide, uncanny senses, Axes of Khorgor, and ramhorn helm.

The combinations are limitless and half the fun is trying out new ones. But, so long as your Lords and heroes have a specific purpose and have been outfitted to do so, I think you'll find that the Beastmen characters are some of the best in the game. Hope you enjoyed.

I had some candid pics I was going to post of my General Kragtaar when he was just a budding Foe Render but unfortunately I couldn't quite figure out how to, so alas, maybe for another time. As always, for reading and replying, Thanks amillion.

" Are you gonna bark all day little doggy,
    or are you gonna bite? "

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SO more heroes, you say?

Can you run a couple of heroes, one BSB (obviously) and one with the intention of being a challenge meeting nasty cloven hoof bastard?
    or chuck one in a separate unit to lets say reinforce the unit of gors from immediate slaughter?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Yeah, I definitely advocate the reinforcing of gor units, we can afford to. The challenger load out can be a bit trickier as there are lots of armies who will absolutely trounce us in a duel. Not to say it can't be done, but it takes finesse, and don't hold your breath for any miracles against challengers like Warriors of chaos. If you've taken a BSB though, then you've already taken a step in the right direction with your Lords and Heroes choices.

I have always wanted to push the limits of my Hero spamming though, but I always chicken out at the last seacond. If you get to try it before I do, let me know how it turns out. Potentially 7 Wargors in a 2500pt. list!?, pardon me a maniacal laugh. MWAAAH HAAA HAAA HAAAAAA! aherm, sorry you had to witness that. Thanx amil.
    or are you gonna bite? "

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

BTW, your the first reply!, cool. It seems you don't mind my ramblings, also cool. Might I suggest my Beastman Tactica I, it should be on the 2nd page and is in my opinion my best beastman tactica, very cool.
    or are you gonna bite? "

6. Thanksalone_withmyaxe thanked for this post.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahh man, it is a pity your not writing your tacticas anymore.

I have read them all with interest and wish I had read them when I first started the the army, you have talked about many things that I have had to learn the hard way! i did manage to learn some new stuff as well, especially about us winning and losing in the list.

I think people seem to be reading your stuff but there are few of us Beasts out there, because of the difficulty of playing them we are not the most popular army, life mimicking art perhaps!

Anyway back to topic. So currently my tactic is to build a hard kill all unit from the specials list with gors in front of them to absorb and slow any charge/attackers. My tough unit is usually a load of bestigors, with a magic standard. They are supported by a Beastlord for the leadership and a wargor with a BSB, and a 2nd magic standard. Now what do you think of A the tactics and B which standards would you take?

I have a tonne of other stuff to bounce off, well anyone who will listen, so I will probably be posting more soon!

Walk softly and carry an axe... maybe two.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I keep getting errors when I post here, is it just me?
    Last edited by alone_withmyaxe; March 1st, 2011 at 00:22.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Not certain about the errors, check and make sure your not re-posting due to slowness, and always cut and paste long posts so you can re-post if they get glitched out, that last one I had to learn the hard way.

Anywho, as long as I have your ear, I'll gladly give my two cents on your inqueries. Alas, I gave up hope on my tactica but had I continued, sooner or later I would be touching on the subject of Bestigors, begining with how you pronounce their name.

I'm almost positive it's pronounced Best-igor as in "Best Gor", not Beast-igor. The beast language translates "Gor" as Horn and I'm assuming Best still means best, thus "Best Horns". Sounds like an appropriate description. Oh, what am I doing, I'm supposed to be giving you advice, right, sorry about that.

AWMA, it sounds to me like you have an excelent strategy going, Bestigors are arguably the best special choice we have and by adding a wargor and BSB, you're cementing their threat on the battlefield. Actually, I run a similar unit in my Warherd, 22 strong with full command, wargor, and BSB. No magic banner though, I find most of them to be too pricy. But if the special banners work for you then by all means let your magic flag fly.

What you want to make sure here, is that you position them flawlessly. I'm going to assume that this hammer unit is one of, if not your most expensive unit on the board. If that is so, as it is for me, then you really cant afford to boch their deployment. Too close to skirmishers and screeners and they'll get bogged down and flanked, too far back and they'll get shot up too badly, too far to one side or terrain, and they may never make it in. Getting the hang of this can be very difficult as it is not a set science but more of an organic, action reaction situational learning curve. I cant stress it enough though, get your Bestigor deployment down to near perfection, and they'll be taking the lions share of kills every game.

Lastly, remember that the Bestigors are not a "kill all" unit, even though we'd like them to be. In fact, the Beastmen as a whole dont have such a unit. Chaos chosen, or vampire blood knights are a better example of "kill all", I'd say the Bestigors are really only category 4 killers, out of 5, thusly don't toss them against just anything. Pit them against other category 4 and 3 fighters to get the most out of them. Only take on the class 5 fighters when you've got double coverage, so to speak (remember being advantageous and thinking like a hunter).
    As for the magic banners, I don't usually plug for them unless I really have precious pts. to spare, but if I do I take the Rust Totem as My beasts are pretty much naked anyway and the idea is just too cool. Hope I helped.
    or are you gonna bite? "

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I enjoy a good ramble!

And best gor makes sense so thumbs up!

I always avoid the rust banner as I hate the idea that it ruins my bestigors save, but you are right, if you take that and an razor banner that is a -3 armour, before any strength modifiers, don't know why I missed that and as banners go they are cheap!

I could then pull the general Beastlord out of the unit to go killing as a individual, and not ruin his armour, but get his leadership

I fight the lizards alot and their save is horrific with all their scaly skin and armour on top!

Placement I have yet to perfect but it will get there I hope! I get to excited and want to get them on the table to fast, but what you are saying makes sense, I do kind of see them as a kill all, but maybe if they can be very hurty, that might suffice.

Time to write a new list based around this tactic...

Thank you Mr Blonde, I will let you know how it goes

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by alone_withmyaxe View Post
    I could then pull the general Beastlord out of the unit to go killing as a individual, and not ruin his armour, but get his leadership
    Check this month's WD to see how that usually goes... I'll give you a hint, it ain't pretty.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by realitycheque View Post
    Check this month's WD to see how that usually goes... I'll give you a hint, it ain't pretty.
    I'd be willing to go out on a limb and say that you're probably right in theory, but it's worth mentioning that those white dwarf reports are as fixed as the grammys. I've seen commando lords and heroes pulled off with amazing results, even in 8'th ed. albeit with a bit more finesse. Definetly don't write it off.
    or are you gonna bite? "

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast