Let's talk about Bestigors - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x5)

Let's talk about Bestigors

Hey all,

I think that it'd be nice to have some more discussion about units and tactics in this forum, so I figured I'd get the ball rolling and start with one of our iconic units, the Bestigors.

Personally, I love these guys - they provide a large part of my army's bite. 12 points for a WS 4, S 6 hit with Hatred is very powerful IMO, so I field a big ol' horde of 40 of these big boys and let 'em loose against whatever I feel is the meanest target out there (M 5 helps you get there, too). I've only gotten spot use of the Despoilers special ability, though (some people don't bring standards, or the +1 combat res is overkill to someone already needing Insane Courage to make their Break test). I also like them as a character bunker, especially for a Beastlord.

So, what do you think about Bestigors? Do you field them? How many of them? How do they do? All discussion regarding the topic is welcome!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I field mine with the banner of +1 Ld with my beastlord inside to get a precious ld 10 general in the field. My +1 str beast banner BSB goes into the Gor horde. The shamen stay near the herdstone if present, or hop around in their small skirmisher bunkers otherwise.

The bestigors are the only unit I can find that can own the Ld banner, so I take it over the flaming banner--when you know that high elven cavalry can be almost invulnerable to your bestigors because you CHOSE to put a flaming banner, things look really bad indeed!

4. Thanksrothgar13 thanked for this post.
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

I used a herd of 19 with Wargor BSB in my first two 1500 point games. In first game they got a fair few casualties from warmachines but still managed to strike into enemy flank and slaughter first a block of Night Goblins and then another block of Orcs.

In second game (Watchtower) they charged and took the Watchtower on first round and garrisoned it untill the end of the game (turn 9), winning the game for me in spite of everyone else (and I really mean everyone) in my army being dead by then. I ended the game with Wargor BSB, the whole command group and 9 other Bestigors alive after they had beaten off the repeated assaults on the tower.

Encouraged by this show of ability I immeadeatly ordered another box. They kick ass and look good doing it!
    Last edited by Polaria; June 21st, 2011 at 14:00.
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

6. Thanksrothgar13 thanked for this post.
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

140 (x5)

Great feedback, guys, I'm glad to hear it. Seems that most of us are in agreement about the importance of Bestigors in our armies.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

141 (x3)

After reading this thread, I'm thinking about getting a unit of these guys myself. Just wondering how good they hold against chaos warriors?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by furrie View Post
    After reading this thread, I'm thinking about getting a unit of these guys myself. Just wondering how good they hold against chaos warriors?
    Well... I'm not sure if anything holds against Chaos Warriors very good. They are, after all, the undeniable kings of core in WHFB. However, Bestigors can match them in toughness and with their S6 attacks will negate their saving throw completely. Plus the Bestigors are a lot cheaper. The main thing is that Bestigors strike last so make sure you have enough models in the start to have some to strike back once the Warriors have swept off half of your unit...
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Polaria View Post
    Well... I'm not sure if anything holds against Chaos Warriors very good. They are, after all, the undeniable kings of core in WHFB. However, Bestigors can match them in toughness and with their S6 attacks will negate their saving throw completely. Plus the Bestigors are a lot cheaper. The main thing is that Bestigors strike last so make sure you have enough models in the start to have some to strike back once the Warriors have swept off half of your unit...
    Yep! 35-40 should hold against 16 chaos warriors. It's the weapon skill and initiative that's annoying. Luckily, you probably reroll to hit while they probably don't!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

140 (x5)

The way you deal with Chaos Warriors is by Hatred, superior numbers, and Horde formation. These three will give you a chance to actually out-wound him, especially if he's actually gunning to wound you without giving up his Initiative advantage.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

just reading this and as i play warriors of chaos and looking to get into beastmen i can tell you exactly how to beat us:
    magic; u guys have the ability to have an amazing magic phase

dont try beating us without it as u will fail
    take 2 lvl 2's (with herd stone) and a level 4 (with the skull) for a 3k game
    then just hex and and buff
    T5,S5 gors any1? then lower our WS and I by just 1 and we are hitting u on 4's and at the same time

Pin out units down with gors and then flank with the beasti's and we will crumble

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

720 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by jgascoine011 View Post
    just reading this and as i play warriors of chaos and looking to get into beastmen i can tell you exactly how to beat us:
    magic; u guys have the ability to have an amazing magic phase

dont try beating us without it as u will fail
    Today I played two games with beastiest and although I was outmagicing my opponent about 4 levels in 1500 points game my magic phases were disastrous. First game I blew up my general and 500 points of stuff on first spell of first turn. Second game I rolled 1+6, 1+6 and 1+3 on winds of magic three turns on row, meaning I simply couldn't get anything worthwile through his dispels. So while magic is strong its also like playing orcs in 7th edition... Nothing ever goes according to plan and most often whatever goes wrong it will cause huge havoc and destruction everywhere.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast