Doombull advice.... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doombull advice....

Hello. I've been looking at the beastmen army and drooling for a while, setting up hypothetical 3,000 point lists as that would be the end goal for a list size. I keep coming back to the doombull as a general. How are people playing the doombull as a general? If you use one, is it better to keep him expensive or cheap with respect to equipment? Minotaurs appear too expensive to have as a sizeable bodyguard for him, so how effective is a doombull in an ungor unit (for base size matching) of about 35 to 40 for deep ranks. The bull goes after rank and file opponents and is kitted out with a 2+ save/dawnstone (for the helm) and +attack gear like the ramhorn helm, axes of khorgor, brass cleaver, etc. The point would be to inflict mass wounds through sheer number of attacks with the bull while canceling rank bonuses with the deep ungor unit. Could throw in a chariot for a combo charge that would help with the wound total. Savage beast of horrors or mantle of ghorok cast on the bull makes it even more filthy. Runs around 600 points. Anyone get this to work? If it did/didn't, was it fun to play with at least? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

When I use Doombulls I often find myself steering clear of most expensive magic items/gifts, the only expensive one I do give them is Crown of Horns so that I can make 2 units stubborn. They already have great stats and if you're looking at Wildform or Mantle then they'll smash through most things you throw at them.

The problem with putting him in a unit of Ungors is, what is that unit going to do? CR won't be brilliant since if you're fighting a unit the Doombull is going to be maximising its potential against then the Ungors will be falling in droves whilst against other hordes, sure, it'll break them (maybe over a few turns), but are you really getting your Doombull's points back?

I'm also adverse to spending 600pts on such a unit, regardless of how well it performs, for that you can get 2/3 units that can potentially ambush. If you're going to spend the 600pts spend it on the Minotaurs, that way the Doombull will really shine (okay maybe that's not the right adjective) and, at the very least, give your opponent something to shoot at for a few turns whilst you get some ambushers in position to stop him shooting. If you're really worried bring along a chalice or Malagor to hit those ranged units first.

An alternative is to use a Gorebull with the Totem of Rust and Gnarled hide, he'll still have a 5+ save (as the totem doesn't effect skaly skin) whilst his Ungor retinue will happily be chopping through heavy infantry and even parrying if you run them with hw/shields. This is especially effective against Elves, who don't have all that much armour in the first place and are wounded on 4s by the Ungors. Against higher toughness armies it also works fairly well with wildform (str 4 ungors is as good as buffed Gors if you're after offensive punch) and can be a nusiance for Dwarves...then, there's the small fact that there's a Gorebull in the unit...
    "Take their gold, burn their homes, kill their familes and enslave their souls. Show them no mercy...oh and could you post these letters while you're out?"
    -Malekith, Witch King of Naggaroth.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x5)

You have 2 main options when going for a Doombull, IMO, and I don't count the Ungor bunker as one of them. One is to field him as a single model roaming about and doing heavy damage. This is a strategy you don't want to employ when your opponent has heavy artillery, though, because those will make short work of him. The second is to field him as part of a Minobus, which is a high-risk, high-reward strategy that entails placing 3 Minotaur characters (usually a Doombull, a Gorebull BSB, and another sort of Gorebull to round it out) in the front rank of a unit of Minotaurs, and use that as a destruction delivery device.

Either way, my preferred build for a Doombull is the following:

Doombull, Dawnstone, Gnarled Hide, Gouge-Tusks, Heavy Armor, Potion of Speed, Ramhorn Helm, Shield, Sword of Swift Slaying

Now, the reason why I favor this build is because you get a minimum of 6 attacks (don't forget the extra one you get from Frenzy out of the gate), all at I5 Always Strikes First (with an option for I8 for one turn, should you be facing off against Elves), with S6 + Armor Piercing (total of -4 armor), and bonus attacks every time you make a 1+ re-rollable armor save. It's pretty tough to beat that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

Its been ages since i commented here, and i havnt played in a while (new baby in the house =]) but my doombull kit was Ramhorn helm, heavy armour, gnarled hide, many limbed fiend, dawnstone, and the other tricksters shard, similar set up to the one above but with 7 attacks standard (due to frenzy) and a 1+ rerollable armour save but enemies such as demons, phoenix guard, savage orcs, characters etc... have to reroll all successful ward saves they make, make character killing even easier
    and talking about all eggs in one basket, i did once run him with gorebull bsb with the beast banner, 2hand weapons and gouge horns so doombull str7 and gorebull is str 6 with AP, alongside 4 minotaurs with 2 handweapons for 5 str6 attacks each.
    Fantasy : Empire, Chaos Warriors, Chaos Daemons, Vampire Counts, Beastmen, High Elves, Lizardmen( but i have opinions on every army just not the money)
    40k: Black Templars, Imperial Guard, Dark Eldar, Tau (thinking of Eldar)

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

140 (x5)

Yeah, I've come around to the OTS over the Gouge-Tusks of late, now that the Beast Banner BSB rides with the Doombull in my hypothetical Minobus. It hits like a runaway freight train, gotta love it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To get the most bang for your buck out of the doombull I think you need to either run him on his own with a flying carpet or stick him in a unit of minos.

On his own I would take the carpet/ramhorn/dawnstone. If you take HA/shield you have a 3 up re-role armor save with a few points to spare for a cheap weapon or gift. Shadow hide can work but I don't think it works against cannons which are a big threat to this guy.

A unit of minos can be very nasty but the points add up really quickly. If you stick a gorebull in there and a champion all attacks from the front have to be directed towards either the champion or a character. Just remember you need 5 rank and file troops to benefit from the look out sir rule.

I don't think it's worth sticking the doombull in a unit of ungors (or any non mino unit for that matter)

Pros
    Gain doombulls high str attacks

Cons
    Gain Frenzy ( as a horde primal fury is better, even more so if they have spears)
    No LOS for mino
    pursue d6" will be hard to catch anything you break

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

140 (x5)

I'd definitely aim for the unit of Minos, expensive as it is. Striking him out on his own is just begging to get him killed by artillery or out-CR'd by infantry. And the Carpet is a niche item for a reason - it's half your gear allowance, and that doesn't let you soup the Mino up into the killing machine he can be.

+ Reply to Thread