New to Beastman - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Beastman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to Beastman

I am prety new to warhammer and beastmen will be my first army. (keep in mind tho i have a decent idea on basic rules) so my question is, what are beastman like to play? what are good Tactics? and Necessities for a beastman army? i chose beastman on the looks of the models and the very idea of what a beastman is. so im a bit unsure of things that i have mentioned before.

Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no1 will help me out?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey sorry no one has replied but from what I've gathered both playing beasts and aginst them is either a minator list heavy in the big guys or heavy core style with alot of Herod and magic, well either way your gunna want some magic and not the beastmen magic lol Linda crappy but look at some low point lists anf get n idea personaly I love my minators!! so happy hunting hope it helps a little

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks heaps i think ill lean more towards a horde of core, but there's no way im not having minos in my army.
    Last edited by Riding_Lightning; December 2nd, 2011 at 06:57.

Oh No! Not Him Again! Non Marine Player's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    94 (x2)

Welcome to the Herd my friend =)

I feel the best way to go over the army is to decide what core you are going to be running. I feel that in most cases Gors are the bomb, good movement, WS and toughness and when given the magical/army support we can give they become very dangerous. Ungor Raiders are nice too, a good way to fill points and very good at harrassing units with Skirmishers ability to march and fire with movement 5. Tuskgor Chariots are, in my opinion, a bit hit and miss, but to be honest you can't only take other people's opinion into account when making an army. Basic Ungors are ok, as they are basically used for a tarpit, but if they get out of the range of our general they tend to get killed, Ld 6 with stubborn is still Ld 6.

Rest of the army-wise, you have relatively free reign. Character wise you'll want a good few shamans, we have a strong magical army which is good to take advantage of, plus our shamans aren't totally cack in combat either. You will want a Beastlord and a BSB, unless you are running Minotaur heavy, as the Leadership boost with re-rolls will pretty much guarantee our Primal Fury goes off, which you want, ALOT.

In my outspoken opinion, we have a lovely choice of Special choices, really nice units to throw around. Every Beastman player I have heard of (excluding my gimmicky, chariot loving friend), me included, swears by Bestigors. Fielded in a horde of 40, or a unit 6 wide of 24, these babys will eat what you throw them at for breakfast. Many people will say "Go big or go home" when it comes to minotaurs, but they can be nice and fun as a supporting charge unit of about 3 with a Gorebull if you have the points, as they will not have your enemys attention put fully on them (usually as there are a couple of hordes of infantry to deal with =P). Despite their bad rep, I love centigors, reliable, strategically useful and fun (if a little expensive money-wise). Razorgors and their eponymous chariots are a strong choice too. Regular Razorgors can be fielded in whatever size unit you see fit, and their chariots are the only ones you should be taking.

If you are not going for something so tournament cheesy that it will kill lactose intolerants within 40 feet of the army case, you may want to take a big monster from the Rare section (but not spawn, seeing as we can with the help of Morghur get them for free). If you do want to be properly competitive, however, don't touch them with a barge pole, as they cost too many points for their ability. Nice, and fluffy, and potentially quite good, but over priced, and they take away from our amazing Special choices.

Hope my Old-Horn's ramblings have given some productive advice, want to post a list and say if you want to be competitive or not.
    NMP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks heaps for the advice ,

all i have so far is a battalion and a hero, but sadly i dont gave the book yet, my pocket didnt realy allow it. thegors remain un-assembled though, being new and all i have no idea of what to equip them with. im gonna make the ungors ungor raiders and have them ambushing and taking out war machines ect. from there. my next step will be to get the book, a spellcaster and probably centgors so i can have a counter charge unit.

your thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, what are the beastmen rare choices like I've mostly heard they are dead weight but havent yet found much evidence to back it up...

thanks in advance

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x5)

Pretty much dead weight, I'm afraid. None of them has any armor or Ward or regeneration save of any kind, so they're rather fragile. And the big fellas cost an arm and a leg, points-wise. It really hamstrings what you can bring.

Beastmen in the competitive sense is all about the infantry - you want tons of Gors, tons of Bestigors, and tons of Ungors (which you can either use as a tarpit to keep your opponent's big dangerous unit occupied, or as archers to peck away at things and generally be annoying). I also heartily recommend a good dosage of Shamans, as Beastmen magic is some of the most devastating in the game thanks to the Shard of the Herdstone. Bring that along with a handful of Bray-Shamans and a Great Bray-Shaman, and your Magic Phase will rock. Don't forget the Beastlord, though - Beastmen depend A LOT on their Leadership values, so a value of 9 (or 10 with the Standard of Discipline) is a lot better than the alternatives.

As far as purchasing strategy is concerned, I recommend anywhere from 2 to 4 copies of the Beastmen Battalion. It's that useful. After you're done with that, you'll have a few options as to how to fill it out. I'm a big fan of Harpies and Razorgors as complementary units, so I converted mine (Harpies from Tyranid Gargoyles and Daemonettes, Razorgors from the Savage Orc Boar Boyz pigs and Chaos Spawn) - it's a heck of a lot cheaper than actually buying the (hideous, IMO) minis. I also recommend conversions for making characters, as they turn out to be quite a bit more memorable that way. If you feel you'd rather a complementary power puncher instead of diverters, Chariots could be the choice for you, but as mentioned above, I'd lean toward the Razorgor Chariots, as they are usually much more effective.

Good luck, and welcome to the Herd! If you'd like to discuss army lists, feel free to do so.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x4)

I agree with Rothgar, hordes and hordes of troops with magic seems to be the the was to go with some war piggies and chariots for a bit of oomph. You pay alot for your rares but i have seen the Ghorgon rip up units when it doesnt recieve a cannonball in the first 2 turns and dies.

As for purchasing BM got alot more expensive with the re-release as you get less in a box and they cost more, so battalions the way to go, but dont get stuck with just GW. if you can afforsd to wait a week or 2 for delivery, normaly you can find sites with 20%+ of most GW products and boxes. Thats a big saving on your army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the advice guys

a couple of questions; what should i equip my gors with? (i have no idea, quite new to the hobby as a whole)do beastmen really require full command? and also im planning on keeping the list about 1500 points for now, can any1 help me out with an army building on with what i have got? The main army i will be versing is high elves any tips?
    keep in mind i dont yet have the book

thanks in advance lightning
    Last edited by Riding_Lightning; December 10th, 2011 at 02:11.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast