Dragon Ogres - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dragon Ogres

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dragon Ogres

In a 2000 point game a lot of people tell me I should only take three do you think that is a good number of them. I like to use 4 with two weapons and light armor and use them as flankers. If anyone has used them plz I would like to know how they work and whats the best way to use them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I rather have then in units of 3 otherwise they become to costy.And i prefer to give them great weapons to be an anti armour unit or chariot .well try a few combos see what suits you best.but a potential strengt 7 is to good to not use.by the way i rather use marauder horsemen to flank.

Tabletop Terraformer Tzeentch Lord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    109 (x4)

Okay, Dragon Ogres are good, but not invincible. I fought a battle with my friend once and he had a unit of 3. He charged my big unit of chaos warriors in the front with them, and my warriors won the fight and ran them down. Now I'm not saying that you shouldn't take them, but I'm just pointing out that they can be beaten. You don't specifically have to use them as flankers, but obviously they'll benefit in the fight like any unit if you charge an enemy in the flank. You should probably use them to attack enemy flank units, skirmishers, light cavalry, small combat units, etc in the early stages of the game. But after your infantry blocks engage the enemy, try to get you're Dragon Ogres in the flanks or rear of the enemy blocks you've attacked.

Whatever you do, don't use them to charge big blocks of enemy heavy infantry! Because there's a chance you might lose, and you don't want your expensive Dragon Ogres run down before they've done some serious damage do you?!

A unit of three is fine, gives good frontage and isn't overly expensive. Always give them light armour since it boosts the scaly skin save that they already have. Finally, the weapons you give them depends on who you're fighting. If you are playing against heavily armoured opponents like Chaos, Bretonnians, Dwarfs, knight heavy Empire, etc, then great weapons are very useful indeed (you won't kill many knights otherwise!). And don't worry about chariots, few players seem to actually use these things. I could be wrong (it depends on your opponents I guess), but in all my years of playing Warhammer, I can't remember ever having to deal with a chariot!

However, if your opponent is lightly armoured (and usually not very tough) like Goblins, Elves, Skaven, Undead, then great weapons will be a liability since you'll be wounding on 2+ whatever you've got and the Dragon Ogre's basic strength will be enough to reduce enemy armour saves to little or nothing anyway. In this case, an additional hand weapon works better, allowing you to kill more enemies.
    "Peace, through superior firepower."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the help and clairifaction (spelling?). I was having troble on how to use them. What you have said will help me woop some butt. I dont know why I like to use them but, I like the way they look and they take some of the fire off my knights and they go good with the fluff of my army. :cool:

+ Reply to Thread