Any suggestions/advice would be welcome. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x3)

Any suggestions/advice would be welcome.

I've posted some bizzare ideas for army lists in fantasy in the past, but her's one I actually might build because I already have 3/4 of the models.

I've played a few trial games with it against my friends who similarly haven't played fantasy in about 8 years. Against my buddies Tomb King list it did so-so provided that I made my Ld tests. Against my other friend's Dark Elves it did poorly.

I am not wishing to learn how to beat their lists, as they are learning as much as I am, but to spot any major weaknesses in my list against anyone.

I tended to go magic heavy because of the lack of ranged weapons and I liked using the Lore of Beasts for my low level casters for the 'Oxen stands' spell.

EDIT: Comes to 1995

Heroes

Beastlord, Mark of Tzeentch, Great Weapon, Chaos armour, -251

Wargor, Mark of Tzeentch, Battle Standard, heavy armour, Vitriolic Totem-184

Bray-Shaman, Lvl 2, Lore of Beasts, braystaff, -116

Bray-Shaman, Lvl 2, Lore of Shadows, braystaff, -116

Core

15 Bestigors, Full Command, Mark of Tzeentch, The Flesh Banner -280

25 Beastherd, 10 Gors, 15 Ungors, Full Command -165

Tuskgor Chariot -85

Tuskgor Chariot -85

8 Warhounds-48

Special

5 Centigors, shields -95

8 Furies-120

Rare

2 Chaos Spawn-120

Last edited by Grey; February 17th, 2006 at 14:00.
    "No one has a monopoly on wisdom."-S.W.G.

Fluff Master Clan initiate.

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."-A.E.

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves."-C.

New 40K missions here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Tabletop Terraformer Tzeentch Lord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    109 (x4)

I see your resoning behind using the Lore of Beasts, but when supporting Tzeentch mages, I've found that a couple of Chaos Sorcerers, one with a Spell Familiar, using the Lore of Fire can be absolutely devastating! Five Lore of Fire spells each turn, plus whatever Tzeentch spells you've got dice left for is great!

I have also noticed an error in your list, you've got three characters with Chaos Armour. Unfortunately, that's illegal. Unlike Mortal characters who have it as standard, Beasts characters have to buy it as a magic item, which means you can only 'buy' Chaos armour once (just like most other magic items).

I also feel there's a few too many Ungors in your herds, but since you might need them against all that Dark Elf shooting, and as there's plently of Gors as well, it's not really much of an issue.

Also, it's seems that apart from the Bestigors and possibly the pair of chariots, you don't have much in the way of heavy hitters. A unit of Minotaurs, Ogres or Dragon Ogres could probably benefit you here.

Other than that, it looks good to me.
    "Peace, through superior firepower."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

77 (x3)

Well, I've gotten rid of the illegal chaos armour and tried to find other ways to get points to make a heavy hitting unit. Unfortunately, all I came up with was 100 pts, which I threw into a probably wasted Centigor unit. I think that they are pretty random, and no doubt need more numbers and command to make them useful. Right now all they can do is charge flanks and try to chase off fast cavalry.

As to what you are saying about the Chaos Sorcerors, I see what you mean, but other than the Centigors, I actually own almost all the models I'd need to field this army. I'd just have to buy one beastherd box to finish it off. What do you think about changing one of the Bray Shamans to the Lore of Shadows or Death instead? Shadows would get the movement spells, and Death would get some of the ranged attacking power that fire has. Without being flamable unfortunately.

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."-A.E.

New 40K missions here.

Tabletop Terraformer Tzeentch Lord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    109 (x4)

No problem mate, if you can't squeeze in any other heavy hitters, the only other thing I could suggest is increasing the number of Gors in the Beast herds. 10 Gors might not last as long as you would hope for.

Lore of Death for the Shamans is fine, it's a perfectly good damage dealing lore, and has some nice spells. It's a decent enough substitute if you can't get Fire (although there's little that beats the Lore of Fire for sheer damage dealing spells!)

I don't think you'll need the Lore of Shadows as the Beastmen are maneuverable enough anyway, I'd definately go for Death instead.
    "Peace, through superior firepower."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

77 (x3)

So, I tried a demo game, but in order that I didn't have to buy any more models I threw in my Lord of Change (Originally painted for 40K) in as the general.

I lost one of my spell casters due to the LoC taking up two slots and was further limited by his points cost, and I wasn't able to ambush.

But as I was assaulting a castle, ambushing wouldn't have helped anyhow.

However, I am not sure that that it was strictly legal since it says elsewhere in the codex that unless the general is a beastman, all beast units become special choices.

I paid the extra points to make the LoC an Unliving Idol and this states that it makes him/it a Beast General.

Does this counteract that earlier rule by returning Beasts to core choices? And if it does not, who is a core choice at that point?

Beastman general=beast core choices

Mortal general=mortal core choices

Daemon general=daemon core choices

Does 'unliving idol' return the beasts to core choices then? I'm assuming so.

New 40K missions here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x2)

It would, if the Lord of Change was able to take it. Greater Daemons are essentially special characters - they come with predefined rules and kit that can't be altered at all and cost a heap of points. If you want a big, nasty Lord-level Daemon leading a Beastman army, your only option is a Daemon Prince with Unliving Idol.
    Use Light, Beasts, Metal instead of Heavens
    NecroLords: Use at least one Death Mage
    Brets: Use Peasants&Damsels
    Skaven: Don't use Skryre SAD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

77 (x3)

Yeah I see that Greater Daemons have no options for upgrades in the Hordes of Chaos book, but I thought the description of Unliving Idol overrode that. (As stated it can be taken by daemonic characters of any Chaos power.)

I guess not, since it too is a Daemonic gift.

Crudler. That means I was 'cheating'. Good thing I lost. .

New 40K missions here.

+ Reply to Thread