beast herd unit sizes - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

beast herd unit sizes

this may seem like a noob question but i have had some success with a unit of 12 gors, 8 ungors and a full command and i want to make them larger for a 3000pt game i have on the weekend.

so far i have 2 units (one with HW and shield, the other with 2HW) and the unit size i have gone for is 16 gor, 12 ungor with a full command (ie: 28 models in each unit)

it may seem strange but i have 3 beastherd boxed sets and are keeping a few gor models out for conversions for bray shamans - cuz the gw models suck :x

any hints / tips / rants?

- LoCU :shifty:

"Now that question is less stupid, though you asked it in a profoundly stupid manner..."

Current Armies:
    - Chaos Undivided: way too many points for my small budget
    - Empire: reliving my first army
    - Lizardmen: too many skinks dammit
    - Space Marines: who doesn't like a man in armour? lol

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a question as I'm still new to the BoC. Is it worth having a standard in the unit? The Foe-render and musician I can understand totally, but I've never been sure of the standard bearer.

And I have to agree. I hate the current shaman models.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, as far as both questions go. If you are planning on having a unit that size I would just try and up it to 29. With 29 they will need 8 models taken out to force a panic test. And with the low leadership you don't want your guys running for anything. I always try to do one higher than the nearest power of 4. (21 instead of 20, 25 instead of 24, etc) so give that a whirl.

As far as the standard, its a must. You get a maximum of 2 ranks in close combat. If you are going to already spot a unit 1 combat resolution for that you don't want to spot them another one for a standard. It's worth all of its points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also do the same as GK having 21 and 29 and such to me is a great beastman advantage. You have one more mini to lose before forcing the panic test and you dont have to deal with a disproportioned block of troops because of raiders so yes i would do as GK says and use 29 instead of 28.
    "Horn and hoof, power is there. Not feeble smoothskin, clumsy greenskin, wicked elf-swine. Gor is strong. Gor is true. Gor shall kill all, slay all for the gods."

- Beastlord Gorthor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very nice, thanks for the help! ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why 12 gors and 8 ungors and not the other way around? Ungors are cheaper, and they provide you the rank bonus while the beast herd rules get your gors up front into combat. If you're lining up 4 or 5 wide, this gives you 3 extra gors in your second row for replacements and lots of ungors as meat shields.

I'm still pretty new to BoC, but it seems like once you have enough gors to line up your first rank and a few replacements, you should fill in the rest of the herd with ungors. Am I missing something here?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes it is true that ungors are cheaper and you can allocate the hits from shooting against them but they don't have the punch in close combat like the gors. hands up who likes WS4 and T4 on their troops! :w00t:

also the more gors you have around your command models, the less chance of them being killed.

btw: the guy i was supposed to be playing didn't show :realmad: . not happy jan!

- LoCU :shifty:
    "Now that question is less stupid, though you asked it in a profoundly stupid manner..."

Current Armies:
    - Chaos Undivided: way too many points for my small budget
    - Empire: reliving my first army
    - Lizardmen: too many skinks dammit
    - Space Marines: who doesn't like a man in armour? lol

Tabletop Terraformer Tzeentch Lord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    109 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by feloniouspunk
    Why 12 gors and 8 ungors and not the other way around?....
    I'm still pretty new to BoC, but it seems like once you have enough gors to line up your first rank and a few replacements, you should fill in the rest of the herd with ungors. Am I missing something here?
    Allow me to explain. Although Ungors are cheaper and you could indeed fill up the back ranks on the cheap with them, once Gors start dropping (which they will), Ungors will have to start fighting, which isn't good. Even if you have a 'few replacements' in the second rank, it won't be enough to see you through the game. Ungors are there for one reason only, as meat shields until the herd enters combat. It is tempting to fill out the back ranks with them, but you'll soon regret it once you're down to 3 or 4 Gors and the Ungors are having to move into the front rank!

It is essential that only Gors are in the fighting rank, because not only are they better at fighting (and have more attacks if you take 2 hand weapons, which you should!), they are also tougher. The Ungors are easier to kill, which means the enemy is likely to cause more wounds than you and thus has a higher chance of winning the combat. Obviously this would be bad!

So there are some of the reasons why it's better to have more Gors than Ungors, while the only reason to have more Ungors is because they're cheap.
    "Peace, through superior firepower."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow , thanks for the explanation . i was also a bit confused about gors and ungors ..

if anyone helps you with an army list or rules/fluff , then give them some rep

http://s2.bitefight.dk/c.php?uid=19914

Koosh for the KooshLord kooshlord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Tzeentch Lord
    So there are some of the reasons why it's better to have more Gors than Ungors, while the only reason to have more Ungors is because they're cheap.
    I'd like to qualify this assessment a bit. I play mortals when I play chaos, so I'm not using beastherds as a mainline unit, I'm typically using them as a screen/flanker/unit to clear out woods. But there are a few reasons why I think it pays to have more ungors than gors.

1. They ARE cheap. Chaos mortals are very expensive, its nice to have a cheap ranked unit.

2. Casualties from shooting come from ungors first. and since they skirmish, they are relatively hard to hit, making your cheap screens pretty resiliant to shooting.

3. For those who ARE playing a beasts army, small beast herds as ambushers and flankers are nice. These can have significantly more ungors, as they are unlikely to be in many protracted combats.

4. While lots of gors make your units last longer, beastmen are not built for their resiliance in CC. If you want something that can take punishment, use mortal units. T4 with a max 5+ armor save is just not very impressive. You don't even get the +1S on charge that similarly equipped ORCS get. WS is nice, but not as impressive at S, cause it doesn't affect armor.

+ Reply to Thread