Ambush Rule - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ambush Rule

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ive read parts of the BoC army book.

Ive read the ambush rule, but i would like to know how to use it best. Could anyone please give me a few tips on using this ability?

thanks

Lyssander

Ive been thinking about beast herds lately. But im not sure how to use them properly. I mean, are they used as the main combat units or what?
    Also are ungors really as useless as they look? or can they be used very, very well? The way as ive been playing them, the ungor are basically the gor's meat sheilds. Also, should they be used as small or LARGE units? Anouther question, should there be more gor then ungor or vice versa?

Could you give me some of the ways that you use them in battle?

[lotsa questions there O.o i hope im not getting on anyones nerves...]

thanks

Lyssander

Last edited by DavidWC09; February 2nd, 2007 at 23:46.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Beast Herds are a main combat unit in the sense that pretty much every combat you get into will have a Herd in it. They are not a main combat unit in the sense that they alone cannot take on anything but support units. But this is remedied by throwing a chariot or Minotaurs or Dragon Ogres alongside them to get some kills. In the Beastmen army there is no real equivalent to heavy cavalry as everything needs support in combat to kill big hitters or ranked infantry (except maybe Dragon Ogres as long as they get a flank).

Ungors are the most useful unit in your list because they allow your Herds to get into combat with maximum efficiency. With a BS of 4 most units will be hitting you on 5s at long range, and 6s with a BS of 3, so not too many are going to be hit. Given S4 BS4 at close range, in 10 shots roughly 3 ungors will be hit, and 2 will be wounded and killed. That's only 8 points they've killed for a unit that's probably getting up to 70-100 points. And from that shooting you have lost no combat effectiveness because your Gors are alive and well. And if any Ungors survive, great! Added rank/outnumber bonus and second rank attacks.

As I said in another thread, put in 8 Gors max and then load up with Ungors for meat-shielding and numbers.
    Current Armies:
    Beasts of Chaos (4000)
    Chaos Marines (3000)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    451 (x8)

no problems about the multiple questions. just try to put them all in one thread next time.

*threads merged*

spambot kill tally: 79

[16:19] <@Alzer> Arky's right though
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> I know he is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> He usually is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> Sometimes it's intentional.
    ----
    [00:01] <+zubus> i love you, ya skirt wearin nothern monkey! ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok so the way i see it is that herds are used to take out most of the normal units of the opposing army. While units such as ogres, dragon ogres etc. are used to take out the strongest opposing units. And am i right thinking that centigors should be used to get rid of the artilery and bowmen/gunmen units?

should herds make up the majority of the army then?
    Also why are ungors so special? and isnt gonna be a bit of a struggle to fight if the gors run out?

thanks.
    Last edited by Lyssander; January 8th, 2007 at 18:13.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

youll notice that most combats don't last that long. I use 8 gors like the guy who posted before. 10+ ungors to make sure i get my 2 ranks. The rest is in getting a flank or rear charge off or in combination with another unit. You may be able to take weak and small troops like men or goblins with your double attacks and ws 4. But most likely you will be out numbered and outranked so it will be close and hard to win that way. getting a flank with some Furies, minotaurs or anything 5+US or better is the way to do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x6)

effectiveness

You can actually really increase the effectiveness of a herd by adding a brah shaman with bears anger cast on him, or just adding a regular old wargor with a great weapon or additional handweapon. In addition, with the ambush rule herds are excellent from jumping war machines from behind, you can also use the death/shadow lore to cast fear on them, that way if you run into those pesky stubborn dwarf crews they are outnumbers by a fear causing unit. IE auto break without rolling double 1's.

Lastly its always nice to string the Beast Herd out in a nice solid line in front of all your minotaurs, that way unless the shooters are elevated they have to shoot the Beast Herd with any magic missile or shooting that requires line of site. Generally also don't worry about your herds forcing panic tests on Minotaurs. I always find a battle standard in the middle of your line helps a lot. With the Minotaurs running behind you can usually tag team units with the minotaurs IE one on the front one on the flank.

Lastly Maneaters make an excellent edition to Beastman armies. The ability for them to have the brace of pistols and keep up with the army is excellent, plus in units of 3-4 the bull charge helps a lot, and they can usually take down a Giant or other Big 'Uns by themselves as they are immune to psychology.
    40K-Beakies(9-14-4),Guard(4-7-2),Orks(34-12-11). FANTASY-Dwarves(15-6-7),Beasts (14-14-1), Skaven (17-17-10) DoC (6-1-2). CYGNAR (28-15-1)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<After ambushing> In other words your heards can move 5 inches to get back into the skirmish formation. I forgot to do this once and had a cannon ball completely wipe out one of my mini heards.

Because you're rolling on the wonderful leadership of beastmen I recommend more smaller units to increase your chances of getting something to pop up behind them, I usually take 3 units of 5 gors 5 ungors with a champ so they have 7 leadership instead of the usual 6, and 2 units of 5 warhounds. That's just me.
    Last edited by Rork; February 13th, 2007 at 23:15. Reason: Quoted ambush rule verbatim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One comment as two numbers I've heard and use is to pick numbers like 17 or 21 this way they have to kill a little more to get the panic test on the beast herd. This is good because if they get stuck with some dwarf slayers they dont seem to last long at all, as Ive found out. With 17 they have to kill 5 to kill a 25% of the unit.
    W/L/D

Beasts of Eternal Rest - 3/1/2
    Sigmar's Fist of Nuln- 3/0/0

+ Reply to Thread