Finally Getting Some Where
Alrighty now for something completely different... no just kidding I'm still working on the front. But let's start off different with a mock up of what I have already.
Mock Up - Front Armor Panel - Phase I
As part of the front armor panel, I want to include various bits and parts from the Prometheus kit. Chief among them are the optical dome and the two hatch cover details. Now when I cut then apart from the Prometheus front panel from Forgeworld, it turns out to be too thick to use on top of the plasticard. It would look of place. To correct this, I use a technique I like to call "skinning"; I haven't seen an explanation for it elsewhere so I've decided to take the time here.
"Skinning" as the word suggests involves cutting the thickness down. The primary tool that I use for this is the razor saw. To start of, you careful use the razor saw to cut a nice groove around the entire perimeter of the piece. Try to keep the same distance from the top and resist the temptation to cut it all the way through at this point. When you have a good groove all the way around, use the razor saw again but this time cut it through only on the corners. Use the grooves as a guide to keep the saw on track. When you're finished, you'll have a nicely cut piece that you use on top of any bit. You can see the process and results above. You can use this technique on any bit you have.
Prometheus Cut Up and Skinning of Hatch Cover
Moving on, another key part of the front panel is the optical hood. Now the standard Land Raider front armor panel and the Prometheus kit both have this feature. However in this instance, I think the Prometheus kit looks a lot better and more detailed that the standard one. The hood is raised on an armor plate and has a nice lip on the front. Now I want to put these on each side of the Exterminus front armor panel that I'm building but I only have one so I'm going to have to take on standard hood that I cut out previously and convert it up.
Optical Hood - Final
To start off with, I glue the internal piece that contains the optics into the standard hood. Now when you glue the piece in, you don't want to glue it flush with the hood, you want to raise it slightly. This is the key that gives you the detailed bottom lip that you see on the Prometheus hood. After it dries, you take a file, a square if you have it, and file down the bottom 1/2 of the front lip that's sticking up. You can see it in the first picture above. You don't have to file it down all the way, just flush with existing front portion of the optical hood.
Next take a 1 mm x 1 mm square bit of plasticard rod and put it under the lip that you just created. You can see this in the second and third pictures above. Now you have simple nicely detailed pair of optical hoods. The last thing I did was remove the three protrusions at the back of the Prometheus hood. You can recreate them if you want to with 1 x 1.5 mm plasticard rod and a 0.25 mm x 1 mm strip but they didn't fit the look I wanted for the Exterminus.
Finally I have to start patching the holes in the main armor plate so I can begin to mount all of the detail pieces. It would be too long and complex to detail how I cut it up so I'm working up a blueprint that I'll post in the next few days or so that will detail the entire front armor piece. For now you can enjoy the new mock up that I have now. The Prometheus sensor turret I just there for contract; that location is really reserved for a pintle mounted gun.
Mock Up - Front Armor Panel - Phase II
Mock Up Front Armor Panel Phase II Front Profile
Mock Up Front Armor Panel Phase II Front Left Profile
Mock Up Front Armor Panel Phase II Top Profile
See everyone next time.. same Space Marine time... same Space Marine channel.... As always, quetsion and comments are welcome!