Copy and Paste.....
Time to go into detail... literally. Most of the major structures are complete except for the top panel and the tunnels. I'll be tackling those this weekend; my last opportunity.
But first a little back tracking. The magnets that I glued in to hold the sponsons seemed adequate however Falk on Warseer advised me that I should make something more substantial. After I was able to take one of the magnets off quite easily with a pair of pliers I was convinced as well. To build a bracket, I first built a template from plasticard. This isn't a waste of time in my case as I'll be making at least 4 more of the Exterminuses.
Magnet Holder Bracket
After cutting a piece of 2.0 mm x 9.5 mm x 20 mm plasticard and drilling the holes, I put the magnets in sealed one end with a plasticard strip. Placing the piece back in the same locations as the original magnets and we're back in business. Thanks Falk!
Now I'm going to concentrate on some of the minor detail pieces that we've overlooked. First we'll go back to the inside. In a normal Land Raider, two of these bays are reserved for the hatch doors and GW provides you a detail piece and a set of doors. If you remember I have four bays in the inside where you would normally mount the computer or utility detail pieces.
In order to get the coverage I want, I'm going to have to skin and rebuild some of the detail of these inside pieces. This presents a unique issue in that the detail is on two sides of the same bit.
Inner Panel Detail Skinning - Cutting
Now I started this process just as I did with the optical hood however there is a snag with this one. The winch detail on the one side is recessed so much that the placement of the saw on the first piece I cut went through into the detail. It also went through the wrench and jack hammer detail section as well although not as bad.
Inner Panel Detail Skinning - After Cutting and Cleaning
Above you can see that immediately after the cut, you can see that some of the backing material in the wrench and winch detail sections. Using a new sharp Xacto blade and knife, I cut the remain backing around the detail. You can see the results in the final picture above.
For the second piece, I directly cut the detail off the face side. Even when doing this I still ended up cutting into the detail on the winch side although it wasn't nearly as bad. This time I only had to remove the background of the winch detail.
Inner Panel - Final
After both pieces were clean, I cut some 0.5 mm plasticard backing and glued them in place. For the detail that I cut off, gluing on piece of plasticard solved that problem. The final picture shows all of the pieces in place in the interior pieces of the Exterminus.
Tomorrow I'll be decorating the Christmas Tree but I should have something possible on Wednesday or Thursday night. Until then, questions and comments are always welcome!