[2,000] First List - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x4)

[2,000] First List

Well, I'm a 40k player, thinking about getting into fantasy.

I am still undecided as to what I want to play, although it's pretty much a toss up between Bretonnia and Empire right now. I want something that's going to look and play like a traditional medieval army. I'll most likely go with Bretonnia, although like I said, I'm still learning the game. I just got the 7th edition rulebook.

This is my initial attempt to make a list, it's probably horrible and looks more like a 40k army, but it's a learning process. I figure I'd start with 2,000 points as that seems like the normal army size. Fluffwise, my army will be renown orc and goblin fighters.

Lords & Heroes

Bretonnian Lord - 259
    Bretonnian Warhorse, Grail Vow, Silver Lance of the Blessed, Cuirass of Fortune, Orcbane Shield

Paladin (Battle Standard Bearer) – 80
    Bretonnian Warhorse, Shield, Lance

Paladin - 134
    Bretonnian Warhorse, Questing Vow, Shield, Sword of the Quest

Rare

8 Grail Knights - 334
    Musician, Standard Bearer
    (forms 3x3 unit w/ Lord)

Field Trebuchet - 100
    Yeomen Craftsman

Core

8 Knights of the Realm - 200
    Musician
    (forms 3x3 unit w/ Battle Standard Bearer)

9 Knights of the Realm – 240

12 Men-at-Arms – 75
    Spears, Musician, Standard Bearer

12 Men-at-Arms – 75
    Spears, Musician, Standard Bearer

12 Peasant Bowmen – 72

10 Peasant Bowmen – 60

10 Peasant Bowmen – 60

10 Peasant Bowmen - 60

Special

8 Questing Knights - 251
    (form 3x3 unit w/ Questing Paladin)

Total - 2000

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Overall, not too bad

You could do with a Damsel for some magic defence, giver her the Chalice and a Scroll, and have her in the middle of the Grail unit.

Drop the 9 Realms for 9 Errants with FC and the magic Errantry banner.

Men at Arms need to be in units of 20-25 really. Dont bother with Spears, keep them cheap. Have 2 units of 20 with banner and music.

Make the 12 Bowmen into Skirmishers, and drop one unit of 10(just to free up a few points i think youll need) Give the Skirming bowmen music, and possibly braziers too (fire good against trolls as well as trees )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x4)

Thanks for the advice.

It seems to me, looking at lists and discussion on this forum that many people only take wizards for their dispel powers. As a result, I'm not too worried about magic. Furthermore, as I said, I'm looking for a traditional medieval type army, so I'd like to avoid using spells if possible (it's more realistic, for what it's worth). Is counter magic really needed, that is, is magic a game breaker? If not, I'd prefer to go without.

What does FC mean?

Spear upgrades on the Men-at-Arms are free, but are halberds better? I could combine both squads into one squad to get a 24 man squad. I mostly want them to be a tarpit to slow down anybody trying to get to my archers.

Switching out the 9 KotR for 9 Knights Errant leaves with with just enough to turn the 12 man Bowman squad into Skirmishers with a brazier.

How does that look?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Thanks for the advice.
    No Prob

It seems to me, looking at lists and discussion on this forum that many people only take wizards for their dispel powers. As a result, I'm not too worried about magic. Furthermore, as I said, I'm looking for a traditional medieval type army, so I'd like to avoid using spells if possible (it's more realistic, for what it's worth). Is counter magic really needed, that is, is magic a game breaker? If not, I'd prefer to go without.
    Magic can be a game breaker, but only if the enemy army depends on it. No magic defense should e fine generally i think, just watch out for Slann, Chaos Daemons, Tzeentch and Tomb Kings... and Vampires.

What does FC mean?
    Full Command. Essentially Champion, Standard and Music for a unit. Although in some cases one or more of these may be unavailable to a unit, or already come for free (Like Bret Champs) Therefore FC will just be 'add what you can'

Spear upgrades on the Men-at-Arms are free, but are halberds better? I could combine both squads into one squad to get a 24 man squad. I mostly want them to be a tarpit to slow down anybody trying to get to my archers.
    'Oh oh, for some reason i thought it cost points, just didnt think. The extra Halberd Str can be nice, but if you want them in that role then spears should be fine.

Switching out the 9 KotR for 9 Knights Errant leaves with with just enough to turn the 12 man Bowman squad into Skirmishers with a brazier.
    Awesome

How does that look?
    Good

Possibly forgo the Grail and Questing Lances, and have them in units of 5 + Character, in one rank. Then you should be able to afford another Lance of 9 Realms I think. But this last bit is up to you...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Thanks for the advice.
    No Prob

Magic can be a game breaker, but only if the enemy army depends on it. No magic defense should e fine generally i think, just watch out for Slann, Chaos Daemons, Tzeentch and Tomb Kings... and Vampires.
    I think you have to get a feel for the players at whatever location you play at if you see lots of magic or not. ut as a general rule one lvl 1 Damsel with a DS or Chalice can be pretty cheap and very useful. At 2K you chances of seeing magic are pretty good, abd even just to dispell remains-in-play casts are nice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

switch the orcbane for an enchanted shield, 1+ save is usefull. drop the lance on the BSB and the yeoman craftsman and you can get 2 more skirmishing bowmen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

579 (x8)

Ahh yes, just noticed that having had it pointed out. A BSB cannot have any mundane gear, so his Lance and Shield have to go.

+ Reply to Thread