1000pts Bret list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x1)

1000pts Bret list

OK, since there had been a few lists at 1000pts recently I thought I would go so far as to post my 1000pt list. I have play tested this a lot against deamons at this points and it usually fairs pretty well, however since I lack army books for other armies, I haven't tested it much against them. I really like this list, is different to what most other people have put up at this points.

Anyway, I open it up to comments and critism, and in particular opening it up to any questions about how I play the list. It is designed to be an all comers list at this points, for example the treb is not brilliant against deamons at this points. though it still isn't completely fixed... can't decide on the damsel, whether to go more defensive or offensive (well, magic heavy anyway...)

Damsel, Level 2, mounted

BSB, Virtue of duty

7 KoTR, Standard, Warbanner
    (both characters go in here)
    6 KE, FC

10 Skirmishing bowmen

10 men at arms, spears,

5 Questing Knights,

5 Mounted Yeomen, Mus

Trebuchet.

1001 pts

BretLord

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x7)

being a newcomer to bretonnians, ill ask the first question.

What purpose do the 10 M@A have? I have to say that it seems that they can barely do anything in units of 25+. I'm a bit confused as you dont seem to need them as a core placeholder or anything.

I gather from your comments on my list that you dont like to take magic items on your characters, but it seems that that would even be a better investment with those points than those.
    "I am the architect of fate!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x1)

The men at Arms are one of my favourite units in this army, as no one expects anything of them

They have several jobs. Because in 1000 points there is slightly more space on the board usually (less units) it becomes easier to create one strong flank and work down the enemies line, taking out a unit at a time. The men at arms really help with this. Firstly, they add an extra unit for me to deploy, meaning I can usually place my big hard hitting units after the enemy is all on the board. I don't have to worry about the negative modifiers to the first turn dice roll as I always prey.

Then, if they are targeted at early on, either by magic or missile weapon troops (and its pretty rare this happens) that is magic or missile weapons that isn't targeting my knights, and so in this respect they are acting as a bit of a human shield. Even with 10 of them, the enemy has to kill 3 in a turn to panic them, which can often require two units shooting at them, and if they don't panic, they still are fully functional in every capacity I use them for.

Along with this, this Men at arms unit also works pretty well at Keeping a unit busy. As they are so small, people have a tendency not to target them very much, and can allow them to get in some superb positions. The common things I like from these is them getting charged but because i have placed them on an angle, that unit that charges is then facing in completely the wrong way exposing a flank, or meaning they will be occupied for 2 turns manouvering. Some times the enemy ignores them, fair enough, but they do charge them as well, and with the fact they have spears, they are rarely wiped out and can usually get some attacks back, taking out 1 or 2, which can be a rank bonus.

I have managed to do it before when they have got so close to the enemy they have no choice to make the charge, since they can't go anywhere else. If they dont charge them, and they get left, they then still have several jobs. If they ignored are ignored the unit that ignores them often exposes a flank or rear to the men at arms, not worried about them, but combine a flank charge from these with two lances in the front, and any unit is gonna be suffering.

Or if they are completely ignored and people focus on the knights, this unit is then left alive at the end of the game they are there to contest or claim a table quarter. this makes back there points twice over!

On the whole the men at arms aren't there to help me win combats, they are there to help me win the game. They are ridiculously cheap for something that I can use throughout every turn of the game, and works with my overall battle plan. if I spend the same amount on magic items, they often have only 2-3 turns when they are used in game. Its more complicated a tactic but does work with the overall plan. I don't mean to say all magic items are not worth it, its just at 1000 pts you need to think about what you are potentially and what a character will be doing, rather than making an all purpose character. for example a BSB is in a big combat res unit, who is likely going to break the enemy and run them down, the extra kills from him having a slightly higher strength from the sword of might are often not vital, so that points spend isn't necessarily worth it.
    BretLord

+ Reply to Thread