2,000 point first Bretonnians - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2,000 point first Bretonnians

Please can you rate this list, and advise me on what to add in to fill up points:

Heroes

Paladin (Standard Bearer): Hand Weapon, Heavy Armour, Barded Warhorse, Battle Standard & Knight's Vow.

Damsel: Level 2, Dispel Scroll.

Core

24 Men-At-Arms: Hand Weapon, Pole Weapon, Shield, Light Armour, Musician, Standard Bearer, Warden.

24 Men-At-Arms: Hand Weapon, Pole Weapon, Shield, Light Armour, Musician, Standard Bearer, Warden.

20 Peasant Bowmen: Hand Weapons, Longbows, Defensive Stakes.

6 Knights of the Realm: Hand Weapon, Lance, Shield, Heavy Armour, Barded Warhorse & Gallant.

6 Knights of the Realm: Hand Weapon, Lance, Shield, Heavy Armour, Barded Warhorse & Gallant.

12 Knights of the Realm: : Hand Weapon, Lance, Shield, Heavy Armour, Barded Warhorse, Gallant, Musician, Standard Bearer, Banner of Twilight.

Special

3 Pegasus Knights.

1559 (441)

The army forms up like so:

--M@A--bowmen--M@A
    ------KotR------KotR

This is my "core" force that holds the line and slowly advances. BSB means that my force should never run (that easily). The 6 KotR are there to flank-charge approaching enemy, while the M@A take them head-on, to win purely on combat-resolution.

The 12-KotR run up to the enemy's lines through terrain (thanks to banner), and flank the whole force. this should be extremely potent against infantry armies, as I should break most opponents on charge (outnumber bonus, kills), and run onto the next unit.

The Pegasus Knights aim to take out enemy war machines early on, hence no command units.

A few things:

1) What magic weapon should I give the BSB to protect himself in combat (he may get challenged) - the flail that adds strength, and can destroy magic weapons?

2) Should I downgrade the 6-strong KotR to KE, as they are cheaper?

3) What should I add in to support this force? I was thinking a Paladin/Lord and another Knight unit, to help out the KotR, but the Lord is optional - although I need a model for the General, as I do't want BSB or Damsels to be it - how about a cheap (about 100 point) Paladin? What unit to add in, I would have about 330 points then - I like Questing Knights, but are they necessary with the large KotR unit? What will be the best complimentary unit(s)?

Opinions needed on these matters please, many thanks in advance.

please avoid posting point values that can be used to work out individual unit prices - Arklite

Last edited by Arklite; June 15th, 2007 at 10:30.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone?

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Paladin (Standard Bearer): Hand Weapon, Heavy Armour, Barded Warhorse, Battle Standard & Knight's Vow.
    >>> dont tool him up for fighting, look at gettind a lord for that. he is your BSB, make the most of him, dont throw him into challenges. the virtue of duty is nice, and a warbanner this guy is +3CR standard! in a knights unit of 7, with a damsel for magic resistance too. also, the banner of the lady is evil!, so he could have that and get the unit to carry the warbanner.

>>> drop the lv 2 on both of these, brets dont mage a good magic offensive, so go defensive. put them in units to maximise on the mag. resistance.

Core

>>> either make these, or add another unit, of skirmishers. add flaming arrows too!

12 Knights of the Realm: : Hand Weapon, Lance, Shield, Heavy Armour, Barded Warhorse, Gallant, Musician, Standard Bearer, Banner of Twilight.
    >>>> 12 is a bit big... drop to 7, and put the BSB and a damsel in here. also, drop the twilight banner.

>>> also, definitely change one of the above units to 9 errants, and give them the the errantry banner. add 2 knights to the other unit, and put the damsel there.

Special

3 Pegasus Knights.
    >>> definitely bolster this unit, either with command or numbers or both.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

drop the damsels to lvl one like stated above but also try to give them 2 dispell scrolls each. that should last you for the first turn of magic assuming u charge on turn 2. ..12 KOTR is a huge unit.. if you need points any where i'd drop one of them. i don't dig to much on a lot of m@a units.. they can be great but remember the rest of your army is going to be a turn or 2 ahead of them.... unless you slow down ur knights...which isn't what we do best...2nd turn charge is key in most cases.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x5)

Aight, lets take a look at what you've got.

Quote Originally Posted by Treadhead_the_mighty View Post
    Heroes

Paladin (BSB): Hand Weapon, Heavy Armour, Barded Warhorse, & Knight's Vow.

Alright, basically a naked BSB. Your best bet with him is to give him a Virtue and a banner of some kind. My favorite Virtue for BSB's (I'm sure people will disagree with this) is the Virtue of Knightly Temper. This Virtue in my opinion was made for the BSB since it doesn't allow the use of magic weapons with it. Who do we have who is using a mundane weapon as his only choice (if he takes a banner)? Why our BSB. You can give him a magic banner of any point limit along with this; however, I find your best bet is either no banner or a Warbanner. The Banner of the Lady is too expensive, even if it is useful.

Both of these damsels can be level 1 if your just using them as scroll caddies. With the points you save you can get them horses and a 2nd scroll. Place them in units of Knights because the Magic Resist is wasted in peasant units. Lets face it, your opponents first priority to sling magic missles at isn't going to the the Men-at-Arms...
    Core

The Warden is a waste in both of these squads. Use the points you spent on him elsewhere to a better effect.

Stakes are a no no. Your allowed 1 unit of skirmishers, let this unit be them. I like my bowmen units anywhere from 15 men and up, so this is fine.

6 Knights of the Realm: Hand Weapon, Lance, Shield, Heavy Armour, Barded Warhorse & Gallant

Not a fan of 6 man KotR units, others are. Personally I would bump them up to 9 Knights each. Give each unit full command as well.

Mmm, a nice big unit to lead your charge. I like it. Personally I'm not a fan of the Banner of Twilight, so I'd drop it, but if it works for you, go for it. I think you can afford to drop some KotR from the unit however and add a character (your BSB and a damsel perhaps) to this unit. Keep the total number of men at 12 however.

Special

3 Pegasus Knights.

Perfect.

1559 (441)

The army forms up like so:

--M@A--bowmen--M@A
    ------KotR------KotR

This is my "core" force that holds the line and slowly advances. BSB means that my force should never run (that easily). The 6 KotR are there to flank-charge approaching enemy, while the M@A take them head-on, to win purely on combat-resolution.

The 12-KotR run up to the enemy's lines through terrain (thanks to banner), and flank the whole force. this should be extremely potent against infantry armies, as I should break most opponents on charge (outnumber bonus, kills), and run onto the next unit.

The Pegasus Knights aim to take out enemy war machines early on, hence no command units.

A few things:

1) What magic weapon should I give the BSB to protect himself in combat (he may get challenged) - the flail that adds strength, and can destroy magic weapons?
    Don't give him anything, just a Virtue and a magic banner. If you want a fighting hero, add a Lord or atleast another Paladin.

2) Should I downgrade the 6-strong KotR to KE, as they are cheaper?
    KE are great units, S6 and fearless on the charge. I usually run a 9 man unit @ 2k.

3) What should I add in to support this force? I was thinking a Paladin/Lord and another Knight unit, to help out the KotR, but the Lord is optional - although I need a model for the General, as I do't want BSB or Damsels to be it - how about a cheap (about 100 point) Paladin? What unit to add in, I would have about 330 points then - I like Questing Knights, but are they necessary with the large KotR unit? What will be the best complimentary unit(s)?
    I definately think you could use a Lord in this army. He is a great fighting character and isn't too expensive points wise. Your BSB cannot be your General, this is stated in the Army book. Don't make a cheap Paladin. Maxed out they only cost about 125 points; give him his full allotment of gear. Questing Knights, even after the nerf they got in 7th edition are still great units, always hitting @ S5. Also, a unit of Grail Knights is always a good choice.

Opinions needed on these matters please, many thanks in advance.
    All in all, a good start. You need to either add another fighting character (lord/paladin) as your general or make one of your damsels your general. Don't be afraid to go up to 5 characters, paladins are cheap points wise even maxxed out on gear, and we get the extra character (5 compared to other armies' 4) so use him if you want to. Here is a link to the most recent list I've made up, I think its similar to yours and might give you some ideas for where you want to go with your list.

Lord Aldric's Militia (Lord Aldric Oliver's Militia - [2000])

Also, careful with the points your post per units. Take a look at the Army List Posting Rules to see which point totals you can and can't post.

EDIT: Also, recheck your match on the 6 man KotR units. I don't think they cost 152 each.
    Last edited by Spector; June 15th, 2007 at 10:38.

+ Reply to Thread