New Bretonnian Commander - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Bretonnian Commander

Greetings,

New to these forums. I've been playing Impreial Guard in 40k for alittle over a year now. My friends finally talked me into playing Warhammer Fantasy and I have chosen to play Bretonnians. Thanks to a good friend, who is switching to Wood Elves, I now have:

1 warhorse mounted Lord
    1 Paladin w/ Battle Standard
    1 Paladin on foot
    1 Green Knight
    3 Pegusas Knights
    3 Damsels (1 on foot/2 mounted)
    1 mounted Prophetess
    5 Questing Knights
    6 Grail Knights
    25 KotR (including 3 musicians and 3 standards)
    8 Errant Knights
    38 Peasant Bowman
    30 Men at Arms
    1 Grail Reliqae w/ 15 Battle Pilgrims
    1 Trebuchet
    1 custom made Bret Supply wagon

I'll be playing at the 2250pt level agaisnt Skaven, Tomb Kings, Vampire Counts, Empire, Dark Elves, Chaos, Wood Elves, and eventually High Elves when the new codex comes out. (There's only 5 of us, but the others guys have 2 armies each)

I guess my main questions are about magic. 2 of the guys I play with love Magic Heavy armies. What's the best way to deal with that? I've been using 2 level 2 Damsels (3 Dispell Scrolls and 1 Chalice), but I don't know how effective that will be? There any way to add more magic defense? Or is my best defense to just try and reach the magic-users before they fry me?

Colonel Brennen Ironfist
    Imperial Guard Commander

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're right on about the magic. Your best bet is to put Damsels on horse with your KoTR so that they gain magic resistence then give them some dispel scrolls.

I wouldn't recommend upgrading them to level 2 as they create the same number of dispel dice..so 2 level 1 damels should be fine and you can spend those points elfewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

Coolock got it right.

Another point about mounted Damsels is that you can put them in the middle of the second rank (when the unit is in lance formation, which it should be). This is extremely good, as she cant be attacked in combat. Also means you can take 1 less Knight to get a full formation.
    For example, to get a formation of 9 Grail Knights, you only need 8 & a damsel, who fills the space of a Knight who otherwise not be able to attack anyway. It kind've saves you points.

At 2250 against magic heavy, take 2 mounted level 1 Damsels with 3 Scrolls & Chalice. Or 2 Scrolls & Silver mirror.

That Paladin on foot wont be much use.
    You should also invest in getting 2 more Grail Knights.

Cheers
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x5)

As everyone else has stated, go for the mounted damsels and stick them in the units of knights. They give you MR 1 against magic missles. 4 Scrolls will also help alot. Also its the safest spot in the world for her.

As for the magic heavy armies. Hit their lines fast. Bretonnia really can't generate the magic defense needed to hold out too long against them. Your best defense is your speed and heavy armor, as well as whatever scrolls you have.

Hope that helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advise.

I've got 1 battle under my belt. Last Sunday I took on a Skaven army. I rolled horribly in the 1st turn and my General and his lance of KotR fled off the field, but once I got my charges set up, there was only 2 Rat ogres left on the field by the bottom of turn 5.

I'll drop my damsels back to lvl 1 and keep them buried in the 2nd row of my lances.

Again, Thanks.
    Colonel Brennen Ironfist
    Imperial Guard Commander

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

131 (x5)

Glad to hear it worked out alright . Losing your general early like that sucks, but good job bouncing back. One thing to make sure of...always pray before the game! The ward save is always worth giving up first turn over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The ward saves from the prayer are nice. Learned that my first battle. My revised 2250 army currently looks like this:

Lord (Virtue of Confidence, Guantlet of Duel, Grail vow, Lance)
    w/ 5 Grail Knights (Banner of Chalons)

Paladin BsB (Banner of the lady)
    w/ 8 KotR

Damsel - Mounted (Lvl 1, Lore of Life, Chalice, Dispell Scroll)
    w/8 KotR

Damsel - Mounted (Lvl 1, Lore of Life, 2 Dispell Scrolls)
    w/ 8 Knights Errant (Errantry banner)

9 KotR - full command

3 Pegasus Knights

30 Men at Arms - full command.

That leaves some extra points for other magical Banners and magical items for my General. I haven't been impressed by either the Trebuchet or the Bowman, so I left them out. I think the only other change I might consider at the 2250 pt lvl is to drop the 3rd lance of KotR and bring the Grail Reliqae with as many Pilgrims as I can.

My next battle should be against a warmachine heavy Empire army.

Any suggestions?
    Colonel Brennen Ironfist
    Imperial Guard Commander

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

try to fit in the holy icon for a (3) magic resistance. give it to your lord/BSB. Also give a unit the banner of defence, so you get 4+ wardsaves against maybe spirit of the forge spell lots of S7 attacks...

against a fire power heavy army always take the banner of defence, pagasus knights and a paladin on a royal pegasus, for taking out warmachines and shooting units. against cannons you just ahve to take the ball in the face, but against bolttrowers try to shield your knihts with yeoman.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

131 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by redeemer View Post
    try to fit in the holy icon for a (3) magic resistance. give it to your lord/BSB. Also give a unit the banner of defence, so you get 4+ wardsaves against maybe spirit of the forge spell lots of S7 attacks...

against a fire power heavy army always take the banner of defence, pagasus knights and a paladin on a royal pegasus, for taking out warmachines and shooting units. against cannons you just ahve to take the ball in the face, but against bolttrowers try to shield your knihts with yeoman.
    I'm going to have to disagree with you on a few cases here.

First off, The Holy Icon in my opinion should never be used on a Lord in a 2000 point game. The points you spend on it serverly limit his combat ability. The Icon will cost you either a Virtue, a Magic Weapon, or Magic Armor. Not even close to worth it in my opinion. The MR (1) you get from a Damsel is plenty combined with Dispel Scrolls.

Secondly, unless you are playing a Royal Air Force (RAF) army filled with Pegasus Knights, characters on Pegasi are never the right answer. They cannot join units and will be targeted immediately. A unit of Pegasus Knights will work fine against this, you'll just have to live with your ward save for a turn or 2 until you can hit CC. I highly doubt that even an army with 5-6 Warmachines will be able to dismantle your army before it ravages them in CC.

+ Reply to Thread