A noob, kill him!...not, please:) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

A noob, kill him!...not, please:)

Well hi Fantasy people in general and Bretonnian players in particular.
    I am now the proud owner of my first WHFB-army, so be it they all have square bases and funny rules...
    Anyhow I have in my drawers a small Bretonnian army, it's only like 8 knights of the realm, 16 Men at arms, and 15 bowmen, but still...
    I really just like to present yself and ask for a HQ-advic....sorry Hero advice for my army. I'm thinking about getting me a Paladin and let him either join the KotR-unit but this seems in such low points games as quite a waste of an important bag-of-pain, or to get a freelance kind of paladin riding around...or maybe flying.
    Anyhow I'm a complete noob when it comes to WHFB and like to get any advice you experianced ones might want to give.

Cheers,
    Andusciassus

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Welcome to the good game Hope you enjoy your stay.

Im asssuming you have the Bretonnain army book too yes? You'll see that you must take a BSB (Battle Standard Bearer) so one of those is a good hero to start with. You also need a General. Its up to you whether you take a Paladin or a Damsel, but id advise to start with a Paladin.
    Bretonnia isnt known (too well) for its magic capabilities, but when you reach higher points, you will need Damsels for a good Magic defense. For now though, you are ok without extra anti magic.
    For your 2 heroes, begin by keeping them simple, no magic items or fancy bits. Best to just get the hang of the game first and see what optional extras will be handy for them later.
    As for your troops, your Realm Knights are mandatory. Make them with Full Command (FC) you get some of it free anyway!
    For the pesantry, Pesant bowmen are best used as skirmishers. With that upgrade they add a different tactical edge to the army which can often come in vey handy.
    The Men at Arms act as a good support unit, to prevent your precious Knights from being pinned down too much in Comabt. Ideally Knight units will be wanting to run in and kill or break an enemy unit on the charge.

For small points games, i refer you to this thread:

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...d.php?t=103404 (My brothers 500pt list freindly)
    Last edited by Phoenix; September 15th, 2007 at 01:03.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

Welcome! Lets get down and dirty with your question. Paladins are nice and actually sticking one with a unit of KotR is perfectly fine. Putting him with any other unit of knights is just going to up his cost (though you get something out of it) It really depends on who your going to play as to how to set him up though. Lots of shooting? You could take the anti shooting options and put him with a cheap unit of knights or gamble and pop him on a pegasus. Normally, if I bring a paladin I like to stick a damsel in the same unit to take up that middle space but also it protects that unit with MR and adds that much more to the overall. Paladins have a great shot at winning duels against models close to double their cost. Just keep their cost in praportion to your army. I once sent a decked out lord against a treeman lord and I didnt score one hit. Some armies have us beat out and out without CR or a heavy charge. Our characters are strong but not our strong point, its our formation. Our peasntry shouldnt be overlooked either, cheap and at that threshold between expendable and dependable.

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

Thanks a lot for your replies guys, and Deciever the linked thread really gave quite a clear answer for my next Q.
    I am thinking about starting a list reminding about the pessant one in the link, as it seems to me be quite a good start for the fluff I have in mind, but then again, once the units hits the board fluff might well need to change

+ Reply to Thread