Lord's Mount - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which Mount?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Barded Warhorse

30 60.00%
  • Royal Pegasus

7 14.00%
  • Hippogryph

13 26.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lord's Mount

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x4)

Lord's Mount

So, the Bret Lord I am going to go with looks like this -

Bretonnian Lord
    Silver Lance of the Blessed, Cuirass of Fortune, Virtue of Discipline, Shield

First, he's a unit killer. Or Breaker, I should say. I feel like this set up is more reliable than the Knightly Temper approach to squad breaking. Basically gets 4 almost automatic wounds, while denying my opponent an outnumbering bonus, I feel like he'll be pretty good at taking out basic infantry blocks (something I hear Bretonnian has a tough time with).

Now, to that end, you may have noticed he doesn't have a mount. That's my question.

What mount should I go with to help him break infantry?

If I leave him mounted on a barded warhorse, he'll ride with a group of 8 Knights of the Realm with a full command. The Knights would be carrying the War Banner as well, for a further bonus. This is the safest option.

I could also mount him on a Pegasus or a Hippogryph.

On a Pegasus, he'd be supported by 4 Pegasus Knights. I know he can't join the unit, but that doesn't mean they can't coordinate their charges and fight together. This would help him strike weaker enemy units, and improve his chances of getting a flank or rear charge. This is a risky option, but has the potential for a big pay off.

The Hippogryph would be about the same as a pegasus (including the support of the Pegasus Knights). He would end up costing almost as much giving him a unit of 8 KotR to ride with (actually, 62 pts less if you count the KotR's War Banner). The bonus to unit breaking, however, would be pretty good - as the Hippy causes terror and can cause some damage in CC. It's very risky, perhaps more so than the Pegasus, but that's partly what appeals to me about it. I also like the characterful nature of a Lord on a Hippogryph.

Edit - Depending on how much my Lord costs, of course, the rest of my army will be - Hero Light (1 scroll caddy, BSB, possibly a cheap foot paladin), 3 units of 9 (8 if they have a character) knights (2 KotR, 1 KE), 2 trebuchets, 4 pegasus knights and the rest on peasants. This should be 2,000-2,250 pts.

Last edited by grimmtu; June 24th, 2008 at 21:47.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

go for cheap

a hippogriff can really wreck some units, with terror and a stout Lord on top, but thats a ton of pointage. because you only have one other hero, I'd run the Lord on a warhorse to offer some support to your other troops. if you had a standard bearer paladin somewhere, go for the pegasus and roll with your plan just as it is. flying knights really cause people to bottle up and disrupt their plans

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

139 (x8)

I'd say the horse. In fact, I'd almost put the warbanner on a different unit to support them, this guy at the front of a lance of knights is going to break most things with ease.

If you wanted a bigger mount, the Hippogryph is probably better than the pegasus. It is tougher, so people won't be able to easily shoot it out from under him, and quite a nasty beast once it hits combat. But I beleive it is US4 so he won't be negating ranks, either flying mount will probably need a unit for support at the front if you want to be destroying big infantry blocks.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

131 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by strewart View Post
    I'd say the horse. In fact, I'd almost put the warbanner on a different unit to support them, this guy at the front of a lance of knights is going to break most things with ease.
    Well, the other option would be to have the BSB w/ Virtue of Duty right with the Warbanner (note - the unit standard bearer would carry the Warbanner). Which would be +4 CR (+2 for Battle Standard, +1 for VoD, +1 for unit Standard Bearer), if I'm not mistaken. That's a pretty good option too, I think.

Like I said though, if he's on a pegasus or hippogryph, he'll have 4 pegasus knights to support him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

131 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by strewart View Post
    If you wanted a bigger mount, the Hippogryph is probably better than the pegasus. It is tougher, so people won't be able to easily shoot it out from under him, and quite a nasty beast once it hits combat. But I beleive it is US4 so he won't be negating ranks, either flying mount will probably need a unit for support at the front if you want to be destroying big infantry blocks.
    Well, a monstrous mount with a rider's US is equal to starting wounds + 1, so a Lord + Hippogryph does indeed have a US5.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

I simply voted for the Warhorse because you're still allowed to join units.

-AFG//

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

Ive voted warhorse because as a Brett lord isnt THAT great at CC (in comparison with things like vamp lords, Dwarf Lords etc.) I always feel he is better served giving greater punch to a unit of knights- on his own its a bit of a one-shot weapon, even on a Hippogryph.

I agree though the idea of a brettonian Lord on a Hippogryph is very appealing!
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

A legend in my own mind.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x3)

If i played bretonnia, I would take hyyogrph. I can only guess it's similar to a Gryphon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

131 (x5)

At under 3000 points, the Hippo isn't viable imo. Too high a % of your army's total points. After 3000 points however, it can be a useful add on to an army, however, so can a Proph, so you have to balance out the options there.

Blood & Souls for Khaine! flameseeker574's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go with the warhorse, cheap and effective.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast