Newbie Bretonian help with starting list of 1000pts please - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie Bretonian help with starting list of 1000pts please

Hi guys,

I'm relatively new tot he WHFB scene, but as a veteran 40k player, most of the rules are easy to wrap my head around. I already have a 1000 point ogre army. They are reasonably fun and easy, but now I want more of a challenge...

So, basically I want to start a Bretonian army of about 1000pts, and I was wondering if anyone out there could suggest to me a good competitive starting list? (preferably including a flying mount lord if possible/plausible)

thanks in advance,
    Smurph

40k Armies:
    Orks: W7/D2/L3, Necrons: 6/0/1, Eldar: 4/1/2, Marines: 0/0/0
    Fantasy Armies:
    Ogres: 1/0/1, Bretonnians 0/0/0

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

I don't have the Brett book so I can't help you with your list sorry, but from facing a Brett opponent occasionally, I can say that Bretts are quite a bit easier to win with than Ogres, especially with the 5th Edition rules.

-AFG//

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x5)

Well, the battalion box is a good place to start off pretty much. It gives you the unit of Knights of the Realm you will need for your army. Also it gives you 16 Peasant Bowmen who are very good if used as skirmishers and 20 Men-at-Arms who are dirt cheap and extremely good for their points. Also you'll get one Pegasus Knight, who can be used as a Paladin on a Pegasus if you want.

You'll also need to pick up a Paladin BSB blister pack, as one is mandatory for any Bretonnian army. A damsel blister pack is also recommended, as is the mounted Paladin blister, preferably with the lance.

Some other good units to look for in a 1000 points list would be a unit of 3 Pegasus Knights and a unit of 9 Knights Errant. The Pegasus Knights are an amazing unit who can do whatever you need them to, be if Warmachine hunting, Mage hunting, flanking, ect. The Knights Errant are an amazing heavy hitter and are very cheap. Given them the Erranty Banner and let them smash things.

A template for a competitive list at 1000 for me would look something like this:

Paladin (Warhorse)

Paladin BSB

Damsel (Scroll Caddy, Warhorse)

Unit of Knights of the Realm

Unit of Knights Errant

1-2 units of Men-at-Arms

Unit of skrimishing Peasant Bowmen

Unit of 3 Peagsus Knights

That is probably a bit over 1000 points, but gives you a good range of model to work with an you can tweak your list from there. My suggestion would be to build a list and post it in the army list section and let some people critique it.

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Listen to Spector

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x5)

Actually I'm going to amend my post a bit. The list I posted there was more of a balanced Bretonnia list. If you want something a bit more competitive, dropping the Peasants for more Knights is a viable option, but it makes for a boring list to play consistently.

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Im not so sure i agree there Spec. 2 solid Knight units are fine, and even in comp play, the bowmen add a nice extra bit of tactic to the army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Here is a list that I won a local tourney with. It incorporates the models from the battalion into a list with a great variety of units because of this it seemed to work well in a take-all-comers setting. I like peasants, so if they aren't your cup of tea then this isn't for you.

Heroes
    Paladin [general]: virtue of empathy, en shield, sword of battle
    He joins the men-at-arms.
    Paladin [BSB]: barded mount, sword of might, great helm
    He joins the Knights of the Realm

Core
    8 KoTR: fc
    24 Men-at-Arms: fc
    10 Archers: skirmish
    10 Archers

Special
    3 Pegasus Knights: musician

Rare
    Trebuchet

Models: 57 + Treb. & Crew
    Last edited by Rhoaran; October 30th, 2008 at 07:24.
    "...and thee shall know the Emperor's might when thy enemies fall before thy guns. No crude Orkish blade can pierce thy anointed armor, nor any twisted alien resist the sting of thy sword." ~Major Kaelen Rhodes

+ Reply to Thread