My army plays to its fluff - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My army plays to its fluff

Ok at first i thought this was just luck but the more i play with my brets the more they seem to play to their fluff.

What do i mean by this.

Well firstly my peasants never have accomplished anything to the point where i have gradually dropped them from my list to nothing more than 5 yeomen who still do very little (but the musician rides a cow so they get to stay)

My knights errant always seem to charge in and bite off more than they can chew. Today they charged a stegadon only to overrun into sod off temple guard with scar vet who had bears anger cast on him (7 strength 7 attacks) They then died.

My knights of the realm always do average but never truly amaze me

My grail knights however pull off far more than their stats should let them.

Charging through a unit of bloodletters wiping it in 2 turns then in my next turn charging and wiping out blood crushers.

Loosing combat to daemons, fleeing but watching daemons caught on rocks only to come back and smash that unit and another

And my best moment was watching them take a tombking and his chariots in the side. Holding 2 rounds then taking a bone giant in the rear and passing a leadership 3 test to allow another unit to come and relieve them.

I'm thinking about adding some questing knights just because they have cool fluff (which means they will prolly bash some heads)

Grab your sword and fight the Horde

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

I've had different experiences.

-my peasants have made far more Ld tests than they should
    -archers have amazed me by bringing down tough troops and monsters (hydra, giant)
    -knights fail more Ld tests, but they have performed well otherwise

my more fluffy experiences
    -pegasus knights often earn their keep
    -the lady definitely looks favorably upon my forces, I save a ludicious percentage of the time
    "...and thee shall know the Emperor's might when thy enemies fall before thy guns. No crude Orkish blade can pierce thy anointed armor, nor any twisted alien resist the sting of thy sword." ~Major Kaelen Rhodes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

This game is all about properly match up your units. This gets develloped over time, and as you learn how the opposing faction is played too.

Lances of 5-6 KotR cannot take on fully ranked units of mainstay core (your average core unit, WS4, T3 orT4, 4+ or 3+ save, Etc. These units have too much static resolution to be completely overwhelmed. A lance of 8-9 with a paladin will most likely to the trick, the extra rank and the couple of additional attacks then to weigh in your favour enough to garantee a good chance of break.

Also, combined charges are generally what makes or breaks a bretonnian army. Keeping the units fairly spread out, but within the same effective charge ranges of certain opposing units will be the key to winning some tough match ups.

If you find yourself lacking on combat resolution, and you need a unit to crack tough ones with high armor (ironbreakers and chosen come to mind)try this setup. BSB with +1 combat resolution virtue, KotR with full command and warbanner. This gives you a net +4 without any ranks, and you can assume 2 in a lance of 8+paladin, that's +6. You will win even if you do not inflict a single casualty (highly unlikely) against any block of infantry (3 ranks banner and possible outnumber for a total of +5)

The thing about peasant performance, is that alot of players tend to compare them to the knights. You simply can't do that. At one quarter value, you cannot find bases to compare. This I learned in my ogre kingdoms army. Gnoblars are worth dirt, and are dirt, but they have their use. Units like these are best suited for a few purposes:

- Table quarters. In an army that tends to invade the opposing table quarters early in the game, hold you own quarters against skirmishers and flyers can be very tricky. At very low cost, you can get peasants to hold them for you. Bowmen shine as skirmish, since they can pelt down incoming flyers, maybe a few lucky skirmisher casualties, and still have a high unit strength for combat. Men at arms will keep most fast cavalry at bay. Remember tha your peasant banners are not worth victory points.

- Charge bait. Knights of the realm aren't know for their ability to take charges well. Without the striking power of the lance, the strength of our infantry doesn't carry us through. Your peasants are inexpensive and can lead frenzied units by the nose.

- Yeomen are truely amazing for warmchine hunting, have missile weapons and they come at a cheaper price than Pegasus Knights. They also remove ranks on flanks!
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love my yeomen. 82 points with a muso and while they are mostly sacrificial they are funny vs anything from frenzy to fanatics. Id never leave home without them. While they never seem to accomplish anything they are still very useful.
    Grab your sword and fight the Horde

+ Reply to Thread