Id like to start a Bretonnian army, but... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Id like to start a Bretonnian army, but...

Ok, so here's the thing
    Bretonnians have finally attracted my interests, they are some of the best knights, they are human ( i like armies that are human), and they have have King Arthur feel to them. Id really like to start an army, but the problem is, when i look at my Battle for Skull Pass rulebook, they look kinda weak.
    I mean, the knights seem to have this formation that they can only be 3 men wide, (i think), and people say the peasant bowmen are good, but they dont look that good 2 me

Id really like to start a Bretonnian Army, so if you guys could help me out with this, Id really appreciate it

Thnxs

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're only looking at the stuff in the Skull Pass book, then they will be weak. See if you can have a look at the actual Army Book.

I think most of the things that attract people to the Bretonnians are the models and theme, lots of people seem to go for the Arthurian thing. It's the reason I started playing them... they were pretty much a realistic army - with the exception of a few things.

If it's your first full army, then I'd say if you like the models, just go from there. It's how I started and I've just been slowly adding to it over the years, though 40k has far surpassed Fantasy on my spending.

What aspects of it are you interested in knowing about? I'm sure people will help out.
    Proud Member of Manchester Area Wargames Society
    http://maws40k.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I own a 500 point wood elf army, and a 1500 point Chaos army
    The knights seem good to me, but they also seem to have some downsides, like this 3-in-a-rank formation or other
    And it look like the peasants downright suck, but if they aren't taken it pretty much leaves you with a all-cavalry force right?
    And hese special things like Knightly vow (not sure if i've mentioned it yet), what does it do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Basically, it's a special formation that only Bretonnian Knights can use. You can still rank up however you want (as far as I know... but then again, I'm running off adrenaline at the moment). But the 3 in a rank formation allows the two outer knights to attack as well, and in the second rank, third rank and so on. But that's only on the charge, so a Bret charge is pretty devastating!

The peasants are there for Combat resolution, support and variety. I wouldn't say they suck as such, they're just not as good when compared to other armies infantry units.

The vows are kinda just like a scale... at the bottom end, you have the vow for the Peasants and at the top end you've got the Grail Knights and their vow. I can't say much here without quoting the Army Book word for word, so you'll have you get yourself a copy to know more.

In short, the Brets will hit hard on the charge but need to be supported by other units and are pretty mobile compared to most armies, having a long charge reach.

The downside is that it's easy for your knights to get isolated and outflanked because of the formation of the unit if you're not careful.

Don't go off the stats and stuff in the Skull Pass book, looking at a reference sheet it's easy for people to be put off by Bretonnians but just get hold of the Army Book off a friend or from a store and take a look through
    Proud Member of Manchester Area Wargames Society
    http://maws40k.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, cool
    That explains a lot
    thnxs =P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bretonians have lance formation, and can do some SERIOUS charge damage. Bretonians are really about the charge, not the after fight.
    Vampire Counts-4000 Points
    Empire-2250 Points
    Black Templars-2000 Points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

K, thnxs, ill keep that in mind

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like to contribute, to what I actually can.

The Bretonnian lance formation is a special formation, as already stated, that only the Bretonnian's have access too. With this formation there are pluses and negatives. The pluses to the lance formation is that on a charge your front row in addition to all the side knights get to attack. In addition to this little bonus, if you place your unit correctly there will be very minimal attacks back, due to contact with the Bret knights. Another benefit within the lance formation is that any caster placed in the unit is automatically placed in the second rank in the middle. This is friggin great for protectin the expensive as hell casters we have access too.
    The negatives with the Bretonnian lance formation is that after the charge only the front three knights can attack, basically you get 4 attacks minimally (Champion+Mus.+Standard Bearer), without their +2 Str bonus from the lance. The other major drawback, as also stated before is the humungous flank that the formation leaves itself into. The hardest problem, that I find at any rate, with the Bretonnian knights is to know when to charge and not put yourself in a position to actually get flank charged. As a personal recommendation I would try and put a hero in each unit of knights you have unless you run the Multiple Small Units, MSU for short, as this will greatly help your combat res., with extra attacks, banners (Banner of the Lady for the win!), and various other goodies so there is no second round of close combat.
    As for the peasants, the bowmen aren't too bad, but the M@Arms leave me with a disgusting taste in my mouth, sorry WS2 makes me a sad panda. However, the Trebuchet is a godsend for the Bretonnian army and I would always recommend taking at least 1. Also, I would recommend taking 2 units of bowmen because focus fire will guarantee, hopefully 1 death! **sarcasm much overdone**

Hope this helps in some sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL thanks, I'll keep that in mind

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast