Brettonian Lord build - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x4)

Brettonian Lord build

It's been a long time since I've really posted on LO, but I've been a bit curious about what people would say about my thoughts for a Brettonian Lord.

I figure I need something that is good to duel enemy characters, as the other knights in a lance should be able to beat up most RiF troops on a charge. Here is the build for the lord I am thinking about:

Brettonian Lord
    Grail Vow
    Virtue of Confidence
    Sword of the Lady's Champion
    Mantel of Damsel Elena
    Gauntlet of the Duel

So this guy is going to hit most things on 4s or 3s, with a re-roll.
    And wound everything on 3s with a re-roll.
    He only gets these in challenges. Which he has to do (or accept), and the enemy cannot refuse.
    I think the only problem is his protection is limited to his basic 2+ and the Blessing. He's immune to killing blow and poison, but that won't help him ward off something that hits with Str 7 too too much.

Any thoughts? What are some generally used Brettonian Lord builds?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

The ever classic duelist. I run one of these myself.

The wounding on three's is an awesome ability, but when I used to use the Sword of the Lady's champion I found that with the re-roll always wounding on threes seemed a little wasted. This is of course a matter of opinion and personal experience.

I've been experimenting with a different build using the Sword of Heroes. This gives the Lord a Str of 5 and does D3 wounds per unsaved wound, and according to the new Rule Book FAQ posted by GW, wounds such as those count towards combat resolution, meaning that you'll almost always get the full 5 combat resolution from overkill, plus how many original wounds the model had to begin with.

I've always been a fan of the mantle, for just twenty points immunity to killing blow and poison. The question that needs to be asked is how much of those abilities do you think you'll be running into. If the answer is no, then I'd suggest instead getting an item that increases the ward save.

An alternate build for a duelist could look something like this:

Bretonnian Lord
    -Grail Vow
    -Virtue of Confidence
    -Sword of Heroes or Birth Sword
    -Gauntlet of the Duel
    -Mantle
    -Enchanted Shield

If you don't think you'll be running into any poison or killing blow, you could always exchange the mantle and shield for different armor, the Gromiril Great Helm is always handy.

Other than the Duelist, there are two other popular lord builds.

The Monster Slayers:

Bretonnian Lord
    -Grail Vow
    -Virtue of Heroism
    -Gilded Curiass
    -Shield
    -Lance

Bretonnian Lord
    -Grail Vow
    -Virtue of Audacity
    -Sword of Heroes
    -Grail Shield

The first fellow comes out to about 263pts and is very surviable when sent against Large Targets. The second doesn't have killing blow, but he's a few points cheaper and still survivable, he also get's re-rolls against opponents with higher str than himself.

The Line Breaker:

This build is used to decimate units on the charge, a lord built for this task might look like this:

Bretonnian Lord
    -Grail Vow
    -Virtue of Knightly Temper
    -Cuirass of Fortune
    -Antlers of the Great Hunt
    -Lance
    -Shield

This lord can do some insane damage on the charge. Every time he hits and wounds he gets an additional attack, so re-rolling any unfortunate ones might help out and allow a little more death to get through.

I hope this was helpful.
    My enemy's enemy is a problem for later. In the meantime, they might be useful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x4)

My fave item is gromril great helm, I always intent to give that my general or to the guy who needs to survive.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    542 (x8)

I very much wish we could Virtue of Heroism with the Heartwood Lance. Now that would be something.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDogmeat View Post
    My fave item is gromril great helm, I always intent to give that my general or to the guy who needs to survive.
    My absolute favorite item as well, along with the Mantle of the Damsel Elena. Just makes our guys so rock hard.

Tekore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x4)

Thanks for the help Foxely.
    I haven't played with my Bretts yet on account of me being in a desert. But I've played against them before. And from my experience, the RiF knights have an easy enough time beating the enemy RiF. But I worry about dragons, giants, nasty lords, etc. And I think (based on my reading) that the only way to deal with them is a lucky shot with a trebuchet, or a nasty dueling lord myself.
    Last edited by MobiusPrime; January 31st, 2009 at 08:21.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x4)

Recently I've just tried to make my characters as tough as possibly, fed up of them being killed. Regen on lord, 2+ re-rollable on bsb.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As the Lord usually is the general as well I try to aim for a balance between durability and a little offence. So I mostly end up with:

Bretonnian Lord on barded warhorse
    Grail Vow and Virtue of Joust
    Heartwood Lance
    Grail Shield
    Mantle of Damsel Elena

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by MobiusPrime View Post
    Brettonian Lord
    Grail Vow
    Virtue of Confidence
    Sword of the Lady's Champion
    Mantel of Damsel Elena
    Gauntlet of the Duel
    I think the problem you're going to run into is people beefing up the armor on characters. Everybody does it, just look at any army list from any army on LO. Not that Sword of the Lady's Champion is a bad choice. Just wanted to point that out. The Birth-Sword or the Sword of the Quest also seem like good options.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

good ideas

I have heard some excellant choices for the Lord.

Here is what I did.
    Grail vow
    virtue of Purity
    Sword of Heroes
    Armour of Agilulf

Has to have the grail vow to ride with the grail knights. Gets a +5 ward save no matter the str. Can wound better with that sword and if in a simple challenge he gets overkills. WS10 how can you beat that.

Now some of the other combinations sound great but no points for myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heres a pretty awesome Lord

Lord w/ Lance, shield, Bretonnian Warhorse, Virtue of the Knightly Temper, Cuirass of Fortune, and the tress of Isoulde,

essentially youll have a lord who normally hits on 3's wounds on 2s with a reroll and gets as many wounds as you rolled for back as extra attacks, plus if you really wanna kill someone use the tress of isoulde, then youll hit on 2's wound on 2's with a reroll and can get upto 8 attacks all at strength 6... in my experience ive killed 8 cold one knights on the charge, with just my Lord

+ Reply to Thread