Help vs Missile/Magic heavy lists - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help vs Missile/Magic heavy lists

One player in our gaming group (O&G) everytime he plays Brets fills all character slots with mages, and the rest of the army as orc bowmen and probably some night goblins with fanatics.
    For terrain he puts down as many buildings as he can until the other player says "stop" (as in the BRB )... (usually at least 2).
    Mages join bowmen and enter buildings and suddenly his army becomes untouchable to cavalry and most of the Brets army.
    Just wondering if anyone knows how to beat any cowardly armies who decide to hide in buildings all game!

Thanks!

Last edited by Lemonchild; February 19th, 2009 at 06:33.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Your opponent sounds like a great sport. As a first thought, I'd have an impartial person set up terrain. For your list, I'd simply take a more balanced (not all cavalry) approach. Men-at-arms are decent for their cost. Your archers are great due to their range. Damsels can be quite the asset for defense (dispelling and antishooting spells in lore of life). The damage spells can help too since they don't need to roll to-hit.

The other approach is one that I'm quite familiar with being a WE player as well. Get all the misc victory points from quarters, characters, small units, etc. Also, deny the opponent LOS or range to your expensive units if they have magic.
    "...and thee shall know the Emperor's might when thy enemies fall before thy guns. No crude Orkish blade can pierce thy anointed armor, nor any twisted alien resist the sting of thy sword." ~Major Kaelen Rhodes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rhoaran View Post
    Your opponent sounds like a great sport. As a first thought, I'd have an impartial person set up terrain.
    I've actually written piece of software which draws random (and therefor impartial) terrain depending on the input. I should really insist on using this everytime!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhoaran View Post
    For your list, I'd simply take a more balanced (not all cavalry) approach. Men-at-arms are decent for their cost. Your archers are great due to their range. Damsels can be quite the asset for defense (dispelling and antishooting spells in lore of life).
    I definitely take archers every game. But you know...BS3 shooting at a unit in a building (-3 to hit...) that's not going to happen! I have never used Men-at-arms but I've ordered two boxes, so I guess I will have to try them out! I can just see them getting absolutely pummeled before they even reach the enemy though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would advice Men-at-Arms too. And of course, when you field the terrain, roll a dice to see on which side you deploy.

To flush them out, with M@A and use Trebuchets to blast the buildings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love Trebuchets, I try to put them down in every battle but...my luck with them is just crazy.
    In my last battle it misfired 3 times, the last time on turn 6 rolled a 1; trebuchet lost and points gifted to the enemy.

One other time turn one, I hit a Orc Shaman riding a Wyvern, automatic hit until the middle of the template...rolled a 1 to wound. It was absolutely fine and he reaped havoc for the rest of the battle.

Nevermind, I still use them lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x4)

Trebuchets can hit a building and do a lot of damage, and its a lot easier to hit a building than most things. Also men-at-arms are actually better than goblins, i think/hope. Get someone else to set up the terrain, I've never played on a board that had more than one building on each side.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

Men at arms are garbage! five points for a goblin statline!

just refuse to play the jerk.
    You?! No!
    --Famous last words of Asmodean

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SlayerofAsmodean View Post
    Men at arms are garbage! five points for a goblin statline!

just refuse to play the jerk.

lol thanks. That's kind of my feeling but I was hoping if I could beat it out of him he wouldn't want to play like that anymore.

I've asked him about it and he said it's the only way to beat me lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

Well, if you must, then i agree with doctordogmeat. trebuchets will vape the buildings good. then you can charge whoever's left.
    You?! No!
    --Famous last words of Asmodean

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to commend your opponent on his strateigic use of terrain. Being an O&G player who is often on the receiveing end of (my wife's!) Bretonnian lances I have to admit that I have nearly given up hope of winning w/orcs against the powers of Bretonnia. +1 to the advice already given on hitting the building w/a trebuchet. One shot should do it for any normal building, and that's bad news for those inside. That being said, I'd give another two pieces of advice:

Enforce some realistic rules about LOS and ability to shoot out of buildings. I haven't seen many buildings with enough windows to let more than a handful of models shoot out at a time. Even if you allow 2 models/window or door that's just not many arrows. Magic is another consideration, but at least you cut down on his already poor missile fire.

Have you considered tooling up a lord or hero on foot and getting him in there? If he's mostly taking shamans and archers his cc will be sorely lacking. I don't know the official rules, but I can't see a unit getting rank or banner bonuses in a building. If he can break them and there's no way out, or if the limited exits already have friendly units outside of them, by by.

I would not recommend having a 3rd party set up terrain, but remember that you can position terrain too. If he pops down an inconvienant building, but a wood or hill near the most bothersome windows. Don't penalise your opponent for being clever, be cleverer. He's only a goblin.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast