Why Did You Choose Bretonians? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    King of Curiosity AltheAlchemist's Avatar
    547 I'm Not Telling You Where i live street! in the town of Don't Even Try to Find Me
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Why Did You Choose Bretonians?

Bretonia is an army that takes a lot of inspiration from the knights of medieval Europe. In particular the french knights of feudal warfare. However, the visual style of the knights reflects that of the 1100's when feudal warfare ceased, and instead, knights turned to jousting competitions for money, fame and possibly a hand in marriage with another noble's daughter. The peasants are another thing though. They are poor, unhealthy (not that anyone was healthy in the middle ages) and overall, life sucks.

This is what I like about bretonia, it's the realistic image of what life was like in the middle ages (ues I know that they have dragons and hippogriffs but let's put that aside for one moment) Bretonia presents us with a more gritty image of what medieval Europe was like. Their war with the undead is reminicent of the black plague. The people reduced to mindlessly following grail knights in the hopes that they can be saved from death shows what kind of power the church had over people at that time. The contrast of rich, noble horsemen to poor, lowly peasants really is remarkable.

It's incredible, how in real life, people actually were reduced to living based around faith rather than knowledge. I like God, I go to church, but if you don't do anything but try and try to impress God enough to get into heaven then you are just spinning your wheels. God wants you to be happy. He's not going to cast you away to the devil if you sneeze! However this is what happens to people when life is so short and unfufilling.

The lands of Bretonia are very different from their spanish-like bretheren, of the Empire. The Empire has machinery, philosophers (wizards), explorers and it really shows how in history, we lost so much knowledge but managed to gain it back eventually!

Anyway, that's why I like Bretonia, because it provides a very realistic, yet gritty representation of medieval europe (mixed with some Arthurian Legends of course!) Why do you like Bretonia?

---------- Post added at 19:36 ---------- Previous post was at 19:35 ----------

PS: I'm sorry I spelled Bretonnia wrong. My bad!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

The Fabulous Pyramids and Necropolis of Lost Lybaras
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x1)

Hello Al,
    Wow, great post! You know your history pretty well, better than I do. I chose Bretonnians because I like St. Joan of Arc. I think she was one of the most important people in history, not just for saving France, but because she modeled a life dedicated to faith. There is a Bretonnian character made as a tribute to St. Joan, named Repanse de Lyonesse, I bought like 7 of the model and they are all my grail knights, lol The are the Holy Order of St. Repanse, and they aspire to be like that venerated Saint

Bretonnians are kind of like the Ultramarines of the Warhammer world too. They are the best of what humanity is (flaws and all) in the Fantasy Universe. So I wanted to try playing them. It's fun (but honestly I really miss my Tomb Kings).

Thanks for another great opening post Al, you make the Librarium lively and fun to browse every day

Frankie

King of Curiosity AltheAlchemist's Avatar
    547 I'm Not Telling You Where i live street! in the town of Don't Even Try to Find Me
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

You should make a Joan of Arc-like character! Or I could try and make one for you! I made a character for King Phar and a Spitting Skeleton Cobra so I'm starting to like the whole making stats thing! I should make a book of special characters and units that I've made! If I were you I would try making a Joan of Arc-like character yourself! She could give your army bonuses to praying and she could also have a ward save! And if she dies, her army gains frenzy, and +2 to their leadership (the french actually were motivated by her death to beat the english) But Joan of Arc is a neat character maybe you could name her... Joanne of Mousillon! See, same, but different, just like how GW makes their characters! You could make your special grail knights into a special unit that is unique to her army! Anyway I know my history from my World Cultures teacher, Mr. Morgan. He's Irish so he likes to whip us lazy americans into shape! He's also loves making fun of his students (which is pretty funny) and his class is pretty interesting and I read a lot of history on the side so I have an immense knowledge of history!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    542 (x8)

Nothing fancy. A couple years ago, I decided to give the two Warhammer games a try. I walked into the store, looked at the Book Cover arts, and picked the two that I liked the best: Space Marines for 40K and Bretonnia for Fantasy. I don't regret either of them.

I think it's the idea of the Paladin, surrounded on all sides by chaos, decay, and evil; hopelessly outnumbered on all sides, and yet charging valiantly into the fray again and again with only faith, armor, horse, and blade.

Tekore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    157 (x3)

That was a good post althealchemist though I've never thought of the empire as spanish-like, GW are very unsubtle about the human inhabited parts of the old world and empire stand out as a pseudo HRE. Either way the old world is heavily based on medieval europe.

Now as to why I chose Bretonnia, originally it was my joint second army as I wanted a change from the LM i had been playing. I chose Bretonnians as I thought they looked great on the tabetop, they were good value (back when the battalion had 3 pegasus knights in it) and they have fairly interesting fluff. It was joint as I picked up some skeletons for a very good price around about the same time which lead to me ditching the Bretonnians in favour of Vampire Counts (whos background I love more). Some of the Bretonian models became zombies and black knights whilst the rest were put in a box and forgetten about.

Up until a few months ago I had only been playing VC but I have got bored of the new book and they dont really feel the same to me anymore. So I switched back to Lizardmen which were my first army but haven't really got settled with them which brings me to now and why I'm restarting Bretonnians. I plan to continue with an army that never was, and luckily a found my old Bretonnian models so the rebuild will not be too costly.
    BEN DIESEL FTW!!!

LO's thread lurker warhammer madman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    70 (x2)

When i first started the think about brets it was four of five years ago but i had already started a tomb king army so wanted to finish that up first. I then jumped to the hordes of chaos (so much flexability back then). It was only 2 months ago when I started looking back into a bret army for our new store campain as I wanted to start something new and in contrast with the slow armys I had done before. I began reading the fluff and anything elce I could get my paws on before you knew it I had a 1500pts army! Brets look great on the table and I want to continue to exspand on them over the comeing months (the first three weeks of spending has left me out of money and more importantly out of patience...).

Brets were a great change of pace thats why i love em!
    click>the warhammer world needs you!<click

If someone helps you REP them...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I got into Warhammer in the mid 90's the starter set you buy came with Brettonian Knights of the Realm and Archers, so it seemed a natural progression to, even though I felt gravitase to go ahead and build armies around the Bretts and Lizardmen that it came with.

I didn't do TOO Much. Got the Lady of the Lake set, got command groups for my archers and Knights of the Realm. Ended up getting a small Grail Knight regiment as well, and more archers as it turned out. Not too much into them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

I chose them because they are humans capable of going toe to toe with the monstrosities of a fantasy world and come out on top. Empire, not so much. And chaos doesn't really count as "human", really
    You?! No!
    --Famous last words of Asmodean

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

comments

I was playing 40k space marines and had been playing for several weeks. I made a very big mistake and took my daughter to the gaming store on saturday. She watch a couple of fantasy games and fell in love with the magic phase of the game. Next weekend she choose HE as her first army. Well I had to decide which army I wanted to play because I was going to have to learn a whole new system to game play. I quickly got down to the Empire and Bretonnias. I like tanks and in fantasy the closest you can get to them is heavy cav. Therefore the Bretonnias became my choice because they can use cavalry as a core choice. I like their painting as the horses can paint shield on the horses. I prefer the crusades vice JoA story line mainly because I can hand paint crosses on the shields but not much of anything else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by garythewargamer View Post
    I like tanks and in fantasy the closest you can get to them is heavy cav.
    And steam tanks
    Two droids walk into a bar. The bartender says "Hey, we don't serve your kind here.", so they leave.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast