What tier are Brets? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What tier are Brets?

HI, I have just gotten into the game myself, with only 5 games under my belt and my girlfriend would like an army. I'd like her to get a good one. So how good are Bretonnians these days? I would say, for example High ELves are justone tier from the top, maybe the top are VC, Dampns, and DE.

Armies: Ultramarines 2nd Co.
    Dwarfs
    (coming soon) Wood Elves for my final army.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brets are a solid (if dated) army, but I would not recommend them in this case.

1) Brets can be tough for a beginner to paint.
    2) Brets are (typically) missing several "parts" of the game (like magic) and so are poor for really learning the game, and may also deny a new player access to parts of the game they may really enjoy.
    3) Unless you are a strong player, the Bret list "forces" you into certain one dimensional builds, leading many players to drop Brets out of boredom.

Don't get me wrong, by the way, I love my Brets, but it was only after I dropped them for other armies that I was able to come back and appreciate them. Having never had strong magic or shooting phases I suffered from "the grass is greener" syndrome for quite some time.

-Silent Requiem
    Since starting Bretonnians: 19 wins, no losses, no draws.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think generally it's agreed that Brets are about third tier...so basically top/level of any books that haven't been redone and a couple that have. They're not in the same league as VC DOC and DE but still competitive.

With regards to Silent Requiem's post...

1) I don't know...It may be more work painting Brets but I find it more rewarding. You can really have great themes running through your army and the painting options are essentially infinite.

2) Again I don't necessarily agree...I always participate in every phase...Certainly shooting, magic is fairly redundant. Although in the last battle I got Hunters Spear off 5 times from 6 attempts with one LVL2 damsel and cut through a whole bunch of Chaos Warriors (it was a lucky day =) )

3) This I absolutely I agree on. It's the tough one...Brets are many times more difficult to play if you don't go for an all cavalry army. I know I did the same thing...started off as a newbie with peasants...thought peasants are sh*t! so went all cav...I was winning all of the time but after a while thought wow this is really boring and went back to peasants again. If you can stick with the mixed force though, I think you can come out a much better general for it!

I guess the question is though...why Brets? Obviously there is something there that makes her want to play them. Above all you should be playing the army that interests you the most.
    Last edited by Lemonchild; May 19th, 2009 at 20:57.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by lemontron View Post
    Above all you should be playing the army that interests you the most.
    Quoted for truth.

I have always chosen the armies whose physical models appeal to me most. I like the idea of being a royal Tomb King, or silent Waywatcher, or noble Palading. Not so much a gibbering spawn or weedy gobbo.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

Brets in my experiences with them are a 50-50 army, they'll be .500 most of the time. I got mine for a who can build and paint 1500 points the fastest. I naturally chose the second most expensive army out there in order to sink points fast and save money.

Tier wise the highest I've seen brets preform is 5th at the Alamo GT. It boils down to do you want her to win or have fun, perhaps both. Not to mention how badly you want to damage your wallet. In which case I can recommend other armies. Thats my 2cents on brets.

LO's thread lurker warhammer madman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    70 (x2)

I came to brets after finishing a chaos host (and before them tomb kings).

I think brets are my favourite army I have done to date!

So much versitilaty compared to say tomb kings i love it the painting can be taxing at times but I love the outcomes.

However I can see that for a new player they could seem a little boreing... paint your 30 kingts painstakingly then charge from one end of the field to anouther and repeat...

yea the point is try to compeat in every phase so yea take 20 knights or so but dont leave home without your peasant bowmen or your yeomen or damsels...
    click>the warhammer world needs you!<click

If someone helps you REP them...

"THERE IT IS!! SHOOT IT!! SHOOT IT GOD DAMN YOU!!!"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brets, being my first army, I found EXTREMELY boring after the first... 10 games? If it wasn't for a friend of a friend passing on his Wood Elves, I probably wouldn't have stuck with WHFB.
    I'd consider showing her the different models, and finding an army she likes, and going with them (as said by the others)
    Funnist warhammer moment ----> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr2jlCyCJBI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love my Brets! I have 4,000 points so far, every unit and more to come.

On the surface Brets may look one dimensional but there is many different list you can try if you get creative.

I tried a 2000 list with a Prophetess and 3 damsels against Vampire Counts. I totally overwealmed him with magic. He only got 2 of his invocations off all game and was not able to bring back his units from the dead. My knights rolled right over his units of 10. =)

Bowmen are great. Cheap archers with 30' range and I am like a surgeon with my Trebuchet. The shooting phase doesn't have to be weak.

Mounted Yeomen and the Grail Releque are also great underused units that provide versatility.

As stated earlier, Bretonnians do have a learning curve. Charging across the field with your Knights is often not a great strategy.

I do also have a Warriors of Chaos army which I have the worst dice rolls with known to man.

+ Reply to Thread