Questions from a newbie - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Questions from a newbie

Someone did me a nice offer of about 240 euros (transport included) for the following:

Lords and Heroes:
    1 Paladin* (WIP gepaint, old edition with lioncape.)
    1 Paladin (current edition - dragonlance
    1 Lady* (standing sorceress, witte coat.)
    1 Lady* (riding a horse.)
    1 Sulaman le Saracen* (in blister.)

Core units:
    12 Knights of the Realm. (badly assembled, white coat)
    6 Knights Errant (Witte coat a few WIP gepaint.)
    21 Knigts Errant/ of the Realm. (all bits, almost new)
    6 Knights* (old tin knights, white coat.)
    4 Knights* (old tin knights from blister.)
    32 Men at arms (white coat.)
    12 Bowmen (white coat, few wip painted)
    +- 30/40 Bowmen* (some coated others on sprue)
    1 Command Group Man at Arms* (new in blister)

Special Units:
    3 Pegasus Knights (White coat.)
    3 Pegasus Knights (In sprue.)
    5 Questing Knights (In doosje, z.g.a.n.)
    8 Mounted Yeoman (in pockets fresh from blister)

Rest:- Some loose knights and models, uncategorized
    - Old army book
    - New army book
    - Bitbox with lots of leftovers
    - Old and new Transfers from regimental boxes

What kind of armies would i be able to make with this?
    Are all these items usable still (bar old armybook)?

And how beginner friendly are the Bretonnians?

Any paint/assembly advise should i take this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x2)

hmm

Well I played bretonnians almost exclusively for a couple of years about 3 years ago and have just got back into the hobby, so while I might not be quite up to speed I can give you a general idea of what you can do with those, but i'd run it by someone else first!!

From the looks of it everything there is usable (assuming those badly assembled ones aren't too bad). I haven't heard of the character you mentioned, but that might have been released while I was away - either way you could probably use him as something else if there are no longer rules for him.

The minis would be around 2000 pts, maybe more depending what you like to do with your characters. using those models I'd probably end up with between 2000 and 3000 points depending on what I did with the lords etc.

Ideally you'd want maybe a tebuchet or two and some men at arms (maybe 1 or 2 units) to add to whats there, but its not that important and you can certainly win without them.

the bretonnians are all about cavalry, and you have alot in that offer, teaming a lord up in a full unit of knights of the realm charging with lances is usually enough to break most ranked enemy units, and the yeomen are usful for assisting on the nastier ranked units like chaos warriors, black orcs ect with flank charges. But yes - lots of cavalry and lance attacks is the way to go with bretonnians.
    Just hope you don't come up against the empire packing a full compliment of cannons, or a goblin army thats gone for 6 bolt throwers (that was really painful!) as your cavalry are expensive, although those pegasus knights can fly and hopefully knock out something nasty like that on turn two if you're lucky (or opponent is tactically awful).

But yes, for that value i'd bite his arm off!
    'War does not determine who is right, only who is left'
    I am President of the Brunel University wargames society - PM me if interested.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*snickers* Well it's this or an equally nice offer for a horde of Grey Knights. If i don't hear back from the GK owner, i think i'll order the WH Rulebook and buy this force, it certainly seems well worth it. And given that my thesis was about the Black Prince and the Hundred Years War... well i might be able to give the army an interesting theme... ^^

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

88 (x2)

hmm

yeah, i started off with 40k, did 6 or so armies and then realised that fantasy was so much better (for me) and haven't really looked back.

Its not that 40k is bad or anything, its just that I really don't like it all beign decided (mostly) with shooting stuff, I'm more of a tactician and i'd rather have a unit perfectly placed to flee and trap their cavalry with a flank charge from my spearmen. I ahve no doubt there's alot of skill in 40k somewhere, i just didn't find it yet lol.

I do have a unit of grey knight termies though, just cos they were cool and I wanted to paint the british nation flag on the shoulcer plates that stick out hehe.

That black prince theme sounds interesting!! My bretonnians are primarily deep purple and silver (peasants are different browns and dark greens.... weaklings....)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol well for me in Warhammer it'd be Dark Elves (loved the Darkblade novels), Chaos (focus on armored troops) or the Knights due to my love for Medieval Warfare.

If i pick this army up i will inevitably turn the leader into a stereotypical Black Prince. Despite him wearing a beautiful armor i'll give him the black armor people (probably entirely) falsely give when interpreting his name.

WH40K requires much thought too especially in target priority, the use of cover and how to maximize victory point conquest. It's tactical but in another way. They each seem to have their charm. And both settings are brilliant. I love WH40K novels but also have read several WH ones.

Grey Knights are simply... stunning in beauty. A shame they are so pricey.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As mentioned earlier this is indeed a nice army to start with. You will be able to build most armies you want. The only big gaps are the rare slots: trebutchets and grail knights. If you add those 2 I doubt you will ever need other models (except a few additional characters maybe).

The lionpelted lord might be the Empire Grandmaster of the Knight Panthers. But I could be wrong on this. Maybe ask the salesmen? Though not really Bretonnian, there is nothing wrong with the model. Though I would mount him on a different steed. As Empire uses armour plating as barding and Bretonnians use cloth. Or you could model some cloth beneath the armour plates using green stuff.

Though Grey Knights are certainly among the cooler 40k models, the army will probably be less competitive than these Bretonnians. Maybe check people in your surroundings? What will give you most opponents 40k or FB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both. Already have Black Legion. My brother however a Necron Player probably won't pick up Fantasy. GK are indeed tough. But fluffy and a low model count. Which means i can actually give above table top quality a try and have less to carry around.
    Fantasy is more dominantly played locally though.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

88 (x2)

yeah

I can see that there is skill in 40k (hey i used to play it, i like to think i used skill to win!) I just prefer the tactics and settings of the fantasy world now. Also, has anyone noticed that younger kids almost always start with 40k? Thats not a stab at anything in particular, just an observation

The owner of the independent stockist I used to go to in Newbury had a grey knights army, anytime he got them out everyone would watch to see the models. The shop then made a rule that grey knights weren't allowed to be used unless demons were on the other side (a rule which the owner openly flouted, but it was his store lol) as it was decided they were a bit beardy. I dont' know what people's opinions of them are elsewhere, just everyone around there thought that they were almost like cheating and if you ordered a box you'd get ridiculed for not having the skill to win with something ungod-like.

But yes, Personally i'd go with the bretonnians: but then again its not my 240 euros so its up to you :-P to get them to a point that i'd use them in a big battle you'd be looking at 1-2 trebuchets and a unit of grail knights to go with them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grey Knights... beardy? OO;
    Even with that water tactics approach they remain very hard to play.

But yeah... the art of WH40K has it's appeal. Warhammer: Fantasy has less chance to grab you by the throat. Let's face it CHaos and the likes can be very appealing visually but to youngsters the look of Empire etc is far less cool usually.
    And well... gadgets, robots, guns, cool armors,... . Pretty much every WH40K faction scores strongly in at least a few of those areas. While you have factions in Fantasy that look... well unimpressive. (*cough*Wood Elves *cough*) at least in the eyes of youngsters.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

88 (x2)

haha

fair point i'd just like to point out that okay my first army was tau when they were first released... but if i could choose 1 army to never use and just have the models for to look at, it'd be the wood elves. Those minis are lush!

time for lessons....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast