Bretonnian Deficiencies - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    986 (x8)

Bretonnian Deficiencies

Played in my first tourney over the weekend. I had my Bretonnians and my son brought his greenskins. I will give a quick recap and then get to the main topic:

1st - Skaven - Held out great while my dispell scrolls lasted (I had four) along with two damsels. I had misplaced my GKs from the start and they only were able to chase a small unit off the board. His spells and the ell wreaked havoc and with plague spells and such he soundly defeated me. At one time he unleashed a spell that killed 12 knights!!

2nd - Lizardmen - Did much better and held well against the magic until later rounds. His Slann and Engine of the Gods eventually tore down anything in range with impunity. He did squeek out a minor victory.

3rd - Lizardmen - Same story with magic, but this game had one amazing highlight - 25 M @ A took on his stegadon w/ EOG and held for two rounds and finally broke him and ran him down!! You should have seen the look on his face! Then I got a double charge into his Slann and Temple Guard with a full unit of KoR and GKs. I rolled for 24 knight hits and 14 horse hits and destroyed 12 of his TG on that charge, But, being stubborn and cold-blooded (roll 3 dice) he held and after 3-4 turns was able to whittle down with magic and break both units. He received a moderate victory.

Overall - How on earth are armies supposed to play against these new armies with such powerful devastation at their disposal? There is not a character or spell in all of Bretonnia that even comes close to one of their spells and they have 3-4 to pick from every turn!

Hopefully, they will beef up our book in the next year, but I do not think that is keeping in the spirit of the game. GW must keep updating and making the new army super powerful so everyone that wants to dominate at tourneys will go run out and buy the latest army.

My poor son played against one Skaven army that just had blank boards for some of the units! He said that he could not afford the Bell unit and others, so he had these big blank trays was where they were supposed to go. He said the shop fellow said he could do that. Nothing was even painted - talk about wanting to win at all costs!! I did get some amazing comments on my hand-made Trebuchet and custom-made Mounted Yoemen!

OK, my rant is over... Any thoughts from anyone on this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    320 (x8)

yer im all with you here.
    brets are not strong on magic at all and with todays tournament you will face alot of magic lists
    you can anticipate it by adding damsels to your knight units for resistance
    praying for the wardsave is a must and saving dispelscrolls for the right spells can make a difference. just hope you dont run into full khorne, and your money will be well spent

Lizardmen are terrible to charge: with their 3 ldship dice they tend to hold.

when it comes to white boards representing units, im not the one to shout :p
    its a real turn off, not to mention you break what you see is what you get rule
    that player should have got his gear ready for a tourny
    i dont like it but some lazy buggers out there... (pretty sure the doomwheel is quite cheap), and if you do not allow it, maybe there wont be enough people to join

:o any chance you will post pictures of your home made treb?
    Eternal Newbie

Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    986 (x8)

Sure - I can post some pics. I had not done that before and just reviewed the Showcase section to see where I can put them. Will also add into reply. I will snap some shots of the Treb and Yeomen in the next day or so...
    ----------
    And, the worst part is some of these attacks are not spells, so no dispelling at all. They are simply the attacks that the object does - some such every unit in 24" range takes a hit nonsense, monkey business, mumbo jumbo....

Again, nothing in some armies' realm can do anything remotely close, period!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    320 (x8)

the stegadon... i had that against me last battle, i didnt read up on the rules of that spell-stuff but apparently i cant stop it from happening!
    i was losing allready but when that happened i was whiped off the face of the earth.
    Eternal Newbie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

With all the Big Uglies running around these days, I think the Virtue of Heroism combined with Grail Vow will make for a nasty combo on a Lord. Can't say for sure, though, as I don't have any concrete experience on the subject (yet), only hours upon hours of studying LO and various army books =P

It is, however, rather unfortunate that Bretonnian lists seem to be rather predictable and thus easily countered. =/

Mr Commisar to you Commisarlestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x8)

I refuse to play lizardmen now it just isn't fun the stegadon on it's own can be handeled but engines of the gods eat through our relatively expensive knights. The new skaven book is ok though. Their magic has been toned down in my e perience now it's those warp lightning cannons that are worrisome. They are nice and balanced IMHO and I managed a victory.

I tend to have problems with unbreakable units which seem to crop up everywhere though I countered this with questing knights to stick in and do the damage. Vampire counts aren't too bad but my standard list has a pair of damsels each with two scrolls in lances. The predictable nature of my list doesn't bother me too much ATM as most of my regular opponents take a standard list with the occaisional tweak.

All we need is something to keep us good in the second round of combat.

A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x4)

You guys are lucky.
    There's one guy that plays at my shop what uses FOUR Stegadons! Two are Engines, one is a BSB Skink, and the fourth is just a Bowgun.

I have never played him, and probably never will. I have no patience for the likes of someone what puts together a list like that and acts like he's some tactical genius. I think it'd take a mere monkey to play his list. It's the same as the dual Steam Tank plus War Altar crap.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

320 (x8)

hot dang if theres anything more annoying than a 'tactical genius+big ego, its one using cheesy lists.

Perhaps a gryphon lord with largetarget-killing-blow is a must now. Might not work against skaven, unless rat ogres and vermin lords are still played alot
    Eternal Newbie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bretonnians are not the greatest army but they are far from lacking in capability of beating any army. I rolled over a Dark elf army the other day.

6 Grail knights charged hydra, and killed it in one go.
    2 lances: 9 Errant, 9 Realm charged black guard unit of 20 and killed 16.

My other knights handled his other units with much success and my 2 damsels were able to shut down most of his magic.

End result was a masscre on my part. This isn't always the case. I rarely play Lizardman, Daemons, or Skaven for that matter.

I do beat Vampire Counts on a daily basis almost though.

+ Reply to Thread