can a you have a gernal with a lower leadership then your BSB - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can a you have a gernal with a lower leadership then your BSB

If you only have two characters and one of them is the BSB, but that said character has a higher leadership, would a model with a lower leadership take the spot as general?

Edit: Let me elaborate a little more. The list was set up with a Hero (paladin) being the BSB and a Dansel being the General. I merely want to know if that is a legal list since I have been told before the General MUST be the highest leadership model.

Insight please?

Last edited by Hribal; November 10th, 2010 at 08:02.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    320 (x8)

You are absolutely right .

Of all characters that could possibly be a general, the Damsel is indeed the highest. Stuff like the BSB are not considered. (just like you cannot use a LD10 Giant <rare choice> as your General)
    Eternal Newbie

Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, I found the link I was thinking of. According to these guys over at the Herdstone (note this is for Beastmen) you general MUST be the character with the highest leadership value. Here is the link Herdstone -> 1000 Beasts

Edit: after reading page 107 of the rulebook, I am inclined to agree with the Herdstone forum. The way i read it is the Character with the highest leadership is your General, period. There for the model with the highest leadership can't carry a BSB unless the army book over rides it. Am I interpreting this right? :/
    Last edited by Hribal; November 10th, 2010 at 10:56.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in the rulebook under bsb it says that he cant be the general, so i would say that excludes him from the choiced which would leave the lower leadership character to be the only available character as general

Feel free to add me, but message that you're from here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem with that is, when does the model actually "become" the general. From what I grasp from the rules, if said character is the highest leadership character, then he can't be given a BSB unless there is another character of at least his Leadership level to take over as general. It clearly states plain as day on 107 as to who your general is, it's the character with the highest leadership, therefor unable to be given a BSB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Like you say, this is a question of when a general is appointed.

If he was appointed WHILE you do your armylist, then the herdstone guys would be correct.

I don't think thats how it is intended though. You pick your army and THEN appoint a general from the Characters present.

That is why it says that the BSB may not be the general, and not the other way around. If the generalship (is that even a word?) is decided as soon as the model is picked, but before you upgrade him, then it would have to say ''The general may not be the BSB'' as well.
    As it is, the sentence only 'goes one way'.

In case you didn't have another character to take on the role as general, then of course you would have to go back and drop the BSB upgrade, but as that is not the case, I'm pretty sure that your damsel is stuck with the job.
    (haha this situation makes me think of the Family Guy Season starter: 'Something Something Dark Side', where Princess Leia is giving orders, only to be met by a sentence along the lines of: ''is there someone else we can talk to? Perhabs someone from the army?''). =P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The most interesting thing I am finding about this whole thing is "lack there of" when it comes to this topic. Our whole group is literally just starting Fantasy (most coming from either 40k or older Fantasy rules) so we are learning from the rulebook on almost a blank slate, bar in mind 40k is somewhat similar. I know if I have learned anything from 40k, it's most things are black and white, and shouldn't be taken deeper then intended. With this situation, I am still not convinced his list was legit just because there is no solid evidence and there is poorly written rules on this matter. Ugh, it's still fun none-the-less.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    320 (x8)

In my experience i'd say deciding who is the general comes well after the armylist creation. I remember a while back High elves had to roll at the start of the battle to see which character would be the General ( BSB wouldnt count). Any reason to think that now is different?

Now if we turn it around (lets pretend we choose our general before equipping)
    and look at Virtue of the Ideal, which is another exception to the rule: it says 'he cant be the general, even if he's the highest LD in the army"
    If the guy from Herdstone would be correct, then this text would defeat itself, because the general would not be able to choose this item in the first place. Just like he wouldnt be able to choose the BSb upgrade as he claims.

this would be the line of thinking 0_0
    "He cant be the general" oh well that means the general cant use this ", even if he's the highest ld" umm wait then ummm what> well blow me down, my general IS the highest ld! How did they know?
    Eternal Newbie

Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well apparently the guy i played actually called GW and they told him he must take a BSB and it can have higher LD then the army general. Just letting you guys know the ruling.

quik-quik, kill-kill! The bearded one's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    585 (x8)

It's pretty simple; The character with the highest leadership is the general. If the BSB has the highest ld, skip that fellow and move to the next highest ld character you have.

It's not like the process of choosing a general forces you to let the BSB drop his banner or anything Take the highest ld character that can become the general, disregarding any that have abilities or items like the army battle standard that do not allow them to be the general.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast