Bretonnian army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bretonnian army

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bretonnian army

this is just a quick question i recently played a demo game of warhammer in a local GW store and after looking at the Bretonnian codex i was wondering what are the army like to play i does look like the lack some verity in there codex. but i love the background and the imagery that is in the army.

what are they like to play as an army? paining wise i don't mind i take a while to paint anything anyway so it wouldn't bother me so much. is there any advice you could give a newbie to playing a bretonnian army and warhammer in general.

dark angels army: vengance of caliban 3500pt army
    wins:1 draw:2 loss:1

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First of all, welcome to Bretonnia. It's a great army to play. Like you, I was attacted to the army due to the visuals and theme, being a huge fan of medieval and crusading history.

As for how the army plays...historically Bretonnia has largely been what is sometimes called a "point and click" army. This means, we find charges, take turn 1 to set upthe charges and then hit the army fast and hard in turn 2. Under 7th edition if Bretonnia had not won the game by turn 3, it was likely they would not win at all.

In 8th, Bretonnia is a bit of a different beast. With shooting and infantry getting major bumps it is possible to play a Bretonnian army that is heavy in infantry and archers and still be competitive. However, cavalry still plays a major role.

It is just important for Bretonnian players to understand that full-frontal cavalry charges are no longer the norm for Bretonnians.

If you have more specific questions or anything, feel free to post.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    986 (x8)

8th edition brought Bretonnia from a typical one-unit type army (all knights) to forcing us to be much more multi-dimensional. Although I feel it did not do us any favors at all, it has made us (like other toned down armies) have to re-think our strategies. Actually, this is a good thing as it forces you to be a better General and use a larger troop selection.

Bretonnia is my first and best loved army, although I have many to choose from I will always try to take Bretonnia for a run on the field at every chance!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x1)

Like you the fluff and painting challanges attracted to me to Brets. I disagree with a lot of people out their about cav in 8th ed.

Cav is nasty, if nothing else you have a 2+ armor save. And chances are 50% of your army is going ot have this. On top of that they get a ward save from the blessing.

You do lack a variety of choices though, but if you study up and read the codex you can make some very competitive list. A lot od people under estimate Brets.

If you are just starting.

Get a battle force, 2 extra PK, another units of Knights, a treb, and a lord on horseback and a BSB.
    the Grail Reliquae is useful too. Buy M@A and convert them for your BP, they are cheaper that way and PLASTIC. This is another unit i must have.

Check ebay, amazon, craigslist, a lot of people sell Brets as they are not too popular and easy to pick up cheap. I got 6000+ points for about 40-50% GW retail prices in a month. Easy to get.
    "For Plunder and Women!"

Bretonnians 7500, Empire 3300, Dwarfs 4800; Space Marines 2000, Tyranids 3000

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    320 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Reiko View Post
    Check ebay, amazon, craigslist, a lot of people sell Brets as they are not too popular and easy to pick up cheap. I got 6000+ points for about 40-50% GW retail prices in a month. Easy to get.
    very true. Can get the bretts alot and undervalue right now.
    Eternal Newbie

Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs

+ Reply to Thread