Starting Bretonians - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After spending about five years in the 40k universe, I decided to start a WHFB army: Bretonnia. Although it would be obvious to start an all knightly army, I want a Peasant based force with additional knights (I really like the models for Man-at-arms, bowmen and especially the Grail Reliquae and Pilgrims). Is there a way to do this and actually win a game once in a while?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x5)

Look at Important Topics:
    Pinned: Thinking Of Starting Bretonnians?
    look in here first! :closedeyes:
    Maybe this belongs in there?
    But on the other hand people are more prone to read this than that. <_<

And I don&#39;t think a peasant based force is used alot. Most use knight forces, supported by archers.
    But it may work, I don&#39;t know. Be sure to get alot of archers and MYeomen. And maybe GKnights, or if you&#39;re on a point budget QKnights.

Tai&#39;shar
    Lance Leader of the LO Codex: Wasters design team

Forged in fire, bonded in ice
    Son of Fenris, Son of Russ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

Peasant armies are certainly the weaker option and not completely viable. You still need a BSB who is a mounted knight, and at least one unit of knights in an army. Peasants are cheaper points wise so you will be able to get a lot in an army, but I think it may not work too well. I would suggest maybe half the army as peasants and the rest as knights, the knights really are the hard hitting good stuff.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you play mostly Peasants, I&#39;m gonna have to slap myself. Dude, you have the best CORE cavalry supported by the best SPEACIAL/RARE cavalry in the GAME. Why weaken your army by putting Peasants is it? Why? Please tell me, I wanna know.

-lotr88
    -My Warrior Priest will challenge your Chaos Lord
    -OK, my Chaos lord will slaughter you
    -My warrior priest with Van Hortsmen&#39;s Speculum will take his 7 Str 8 attacks. You die.
    -......What?
    -Take your model off the table, he&#39;s dead

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From the Starting Brets thread:

I frequently field a near-all peasant army with only the mandatory unit of KotR, and it does quite well. If you manage to use your peasants in concert with units of MY while focusing massed bowfire on enemy flankers, the army becomes surprisingly effective. Trebuchets hit hard, and there&#39;s no reason why you can&#39;t use a BSB with the virtue of empathy on foot. Without too much gear he&#39;s dirt cheap, especially considering that he&#39;s a bsb that doubles as a general.

Another big bonus with the peasant force is that it&#39;s a very interesting army for everybody. Tactics and planning are essential, a victory with such a list is certainly not going to be because of a mass of invincible charging tin cans with ward saves that kill everything they touch. Any idiot can win with that.

I&#39;ll bet my balls that there aren&#39;t many that play them in your area either, so it should be something really new and fun for your opponents too. You&#39;d certainly be a fresh breath of air for the people that expect another nobrainer allcav list when you tell them you play brets, hopefully you can give them a new outlook on our army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All I can say for a beginner is to play to your army&#39;s strengths. If you don&#39;t, and you aren&#39;t an experienced player, you will lose most of your games. I have a friend that started Tomb Kings and just could not win a game. But after learning TK&#39;s strength, started kicking some Dark Elf tail.

Bretonnian&#39;s strength is quite odvious. Dude, if you wanna win more, which I think is good for a starting player to prevent discouragement, play all cav.
    -My Warrior Priest will challenge your Chaos Lord
    -OK, my Chaos lord will slaughter you
    -My warrior priest with Van Hortsmen&#39;s Speculum will take his 7 Str 8 attacks. You die.
    -......What?
    -Take your model off the table, he&#39;s dead

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It&#39;s not going to be a complete peasant force which I&#39;m aiming for. There are going to be Knights of the Realm, Questing Knights and a mounted BSB in it, but it&#39;s going to be mainly man-at-arms, battle pilgrims and bowmen. Seems a bit more realistic.
    But thanks for the advice&#33;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

139 (x8)

How does it seem realistic? We have a host of the best knights in the world summoned from across our lands, but instead we are going to send lightly armoured and mostly untrained peasants to war instead. :huh:

It is more likely to send all cavalry out to war without peasants as they can move quickly and get to their destination with ease, but every knight needs servants and squires so the peasants come along to support the knight army anyway.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People like you guys are the reason brets are starting to get a bad rep. All bret-armies are looking just the same right now. It`s not a fun army to play with, it`s not a fun army to play against, after a it really don`t look to interesting on the tabletop either.
    All hail Mead for trying to blow some life into theall to often repeated Bret-all-cav army. Pesants are cheap, fluffy (not all wars can be fought on the brets terms) and the new pesants look teriffic&#33;

When it comes to playing an armys strenghts, you don`t always have to do it to such a degree that it makes the army uninteresting. I mean, not all DE-armies go MSU either, do they? And, do the pesants really bring the army down?

And the fact that a win becomes a real victory with the army, shuld be a bonus?
    What&#39;s the strength of tincan brets?
    Charging lance and extra ranks
    Charge their flanks with some Dark Riders,
    Give the silly knights some spanks&#33;

Words from the Russian poet Svart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

139 (x8)

Bretonnians aren&#39;t starting to get a bad rep, they already have one. So its not really a problem to win when it isn&#39;t going to change peoples views anyway.

I see your point though, and it would be interesting to see how a peasant force works. I have never gone for all cavalry, I always take some peasants, not many though.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast