Alternate Grail Reliquae - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alternate Grail Reliquae

I've been toying with the idea of making an alternate unit that will use the same rules as the reliquae. My first thought was to have a lady's carriage and a band of guards - though I would have no idea how to model a carriage. I would like to use a lot of older models, like the Bowmen of Bergerac, m@a herald-looking-guy, mordheim wardogs, et cetera.

Has anyone done something similar? Anyone have any other neat ideas?

(Of course, disparaging remarks about the Grail Reliquae can be posted elsewhere)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

The problem with a carriage is it would be horse drawn, so fluff wise should move faster than infantry. Though I guess if it is a noble lady they wouldn't move too fast.

Check out the black coach from Vampire Counts, ditch the coffin and maybe put seats in it instead, and of course replace the skeletons horses.

Perhaps you could make a dais sort of thing, like the lizards holding up the Slann on his platform?

A good idea for Reliquaes is to go with the crusader theme ala Kingdom of Heaven. Remember the huge cross?
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i like the ideas posted, and it really depends on the feel of the army.

If you want a little humour, how about a fat, old knight that is a little paste his prime being carried into battle by a rabble of peasents?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My alternate Grail relicquae

Well I had the same thought about making a none standard group for my Grail Relicquae. And actually the last post about a fat old knight was kinda funny.

In my case I came up with a little backstory of a guy who is convinced that he is a great Grail Knight, even though he's a peasent thats not quite right in the head (moreso then your usual Grail Pilgrim). And in his travels has accumulated enough armor bits to be wearing a makeshift suit of armor with a beat up Knights shield and notched and tarnished sword.

Well of course being the eccentric crazy he is he gained a following of others who want or think they too are Bretonnian Knights!

In terms of models I have an old Bretonnian Knight on a regular horse (like the Yeoman ride) with a beat up shield and sword and tarnished armor. And then I bought a small regiment of Bretonnian Foot Knights (remember them!?) They're smaller then the current Knight so it fits with them being peasentry that they don't have the stature of the actual Knights. Add some beat up shields and a paint job to match the overall theme of the rest of my army and they make a nice alternate to the regular list entry for a Grail Relicquae.
    Dan from Hammer and Brush

www.hammerandbrush.net

Painting-Modelling-Terrain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My idea was to make a unit of actual monks and pilgrims, not the crazy variety that the units supposed to be, but an actual holy sort of one. I was thinking of them carrying a big cross/shrine like someone said earlier kingdom of heaven style.

The lady in the choach thing sounds like a very nice idea though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd suggest either a dais or a coach.
    If you went for the dais, you could make it a carriage held up by the monks with all kinds of banners and flowers, whatnot. Imagine the sides of the thing being curtained, so you can just see the lady inside.

The coach could be as said a conversion of the black coach. Again it goes that you should add as much detailing items. You could for instance, in the case of the old knight, put a lot of shields with heraldry along the sides.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i did somthing like this

i found some old empire models on ebay that resembled monks then i got the black coach ripped off the top the coffin and anything skeleton, next i got a grail knight and converted it slightly to sit where the wraith used to be i got 6 monks to "pull it and did some clipping so that the rest of the monks would rank up around it next i got some doll pillows and placed them on the coach i got various chariot peices and fixed a kind of frame around where the top used to be i then added some mordheim flower chains around and painted the thing next i put some see through curtain things around the frame and i put the fey enchantress model on the pillows

the whole effect is very cool the chariot really looks like a old palaquin
    "take my love, take my land, take me to where i cannot stand, i don't care i'm still free you can't take the sky from meee" ;- firefly

"i'm gonna grant you your greatest wish i'm gonna show you a world without sin" ;- serentiy

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how i soar" ;- serenity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reliquae

I don't play... much, but I have a pretty large Bretonian army: 10 Grail Knights, 40 Realm Knights, a OOP Bretonian Organ Gun, a hero on a hippogriff, a dozen archers and six pilgrims. I am hopefully getting a Respance(?) Joan of Arc, Green Knight, Blister of Sorceresses, about thirty Knights and as many footknights and afew dozen archers with the Betrand fellows, from a guy this week.

I am going to make three reliqueas to enter in painting contests. The first will use the Organ Gun . I plan to have a coffin standing upright on the barrels, strapped to the guns backboard. All the pilgrims and the gun with be decorated with questing knight packs.

The second will use the footknights carrying a large Celtic Cross. The cross is about 18' tall to scale. I plan to paint them like the Knights of Templar because the were monks, actual warrior-priests.

The third is for a peasant army. I t will be similar to the fat knight but he is just an ancient Grail knight in old armor. I plan to have long white hair and a beard flowing out from benieth his armor. He'll be accompanied by a peasant rabble.

I have quite a few knights to paint before I start my reliqueas. I am hoping to do a knight for every character from Camelot. I have fifty of the horses done and about twenty five knights, all painted in the colors of their houses. I'm going to have water transfer decals made with the Round table Charge for all the shields to tie them togeather as a unit. Actually they wore a charge medallion and carried the shields of their house but this way they'll seem more like a unit.
    Last edited by rgtriplec; July 18th, 2006 at 04:58.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Instead of a cross I would recommend a large chalice or grail. That would be a lot more in keeping with the Bretonnian lore.

If you are going to use a cross, put a large grail icon on the center of the cross.

Just an idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rameusb5
    Instead of a cross I would recommend a large chalice or grail. That would be a lot more in keeping with the Bretonnian lore.

If you are going to use a cross, put a large grail icon on the center of the cross.

Just an idea.

My Army is based around a Brit-Welsh theme with Knights of the Round Table, and Robin Hood. The knights are christian crusder types.

The reliquea is finished. I used the gun crew and a 3rd or 4th edition Bret organ gun to make a wagon carrying crosses and poles. The crew is unloading the crosses. The crosses would be about 12' feet tall with an 8' cross bar in real life. I have one mounted on a pole and driven in the ground, it is probably 25'-30' tall on human scale. I have 15 pilgrims on one side of the wagon and 15 4th edition foot knights on the other.

I'll post a picture in a week or so after I retouch and seal it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast