Knights of the Realm versus Knights Errant - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Knights of the Realm versus Knights Errant

Forgive me if this is just ignorance on my part, but why would one choose Knights Errant over Knights of the Realm?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

S6 Imunne to Psycology on the charge & 4 points cheaper, I only take 1 unit but don't leave home without them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

Aren't they only s6 with the errantry banner?

Basically, they are cheaper than KOTR and don't really perform worse than them in the grand scheme of things. People may also take them for fluff reasons.

Generally I just go for KOTR though, they're hard to beat for cost effectiveness.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What if one was using the Errantry War list? then you have to take them. Also they're just as good as other armies' basic knight units. (and by basic I don't mean Chaos Knights)

It's just a flesh wound!

Arrr!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

139 (x8)

If you are taking the Errantry list, they get the errantry banner and standard bearers for free and are far superior to KOTR and quite overpowered, even by Bret standards.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, immunity to psychology on the charge and the banner, yeah I could see fielding one unit of them then, but more than one? Not unless I'm using the Errantry War list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry for interrupting but where do i find the Errantry list?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

139 (x8)

Storm of Chaos book/website.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, the KE are, at 20 points, probably the best thing on the Bretonnian list for taking on your enemy's "common" units.

They are ~20% cheaper than KotR, and immune to psychology on the charge. Their primary disadvantage (lower leadership) can be countered by keeping the general near them, and their secondary disadvantage (lower WS) shouldn't matter against your enemies common units (since they should be doing enough hits to begin with).

Personally, I love them. They can be used like fast cavalry to flank (and then flank charge) your enemy, and yet are not extremely vulnerable to shooting, like your 15 points per man actual fast cav.

Unfortunately, I don't really like the rules for the KotR. They are just too bland when you compare them to the other unit types. All of the other units have something special. The KotR have nothing the other units don't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the errantry banner they can be quite good but everyone seems to be ignoring the impetuous rule. Sure knights charges can be quite devastating however it isn't always and a unit of 9 is quite alot of points to have fail this test. Many units can survive this charge or atleast get themselves in a position where even if the resulting combat is lost the knights are in a trap, however if the unit does survive the charge we are also talking removal of that immune to psychology rule in that turn. Now although the units that can do this are not that numerous if your enemy has one and knows of this rule then they would be a fool not to try and use it against you.

The other thing to remember is Ld 7 is low enough, however if you have the erantry banner your impetuous tests are on Ld5 and there are a further massive barage of penaltys for those in the errantry list that make your knights almost automatically charge anything in range. So impetuous is hardly something we can ignore, and i don't believe the one turn of immune to psychology can always make up for it, being as you aren't guaranteed to get it when you want it and against most things you wont even need it so, and if you do its only for one turn.

The thing to consider is although the points are cheaper the reliability is down, the last thing you need is 200pts+any characters points running straight into a trap.

I am not saying they are bad, however what i am saying is like most bretonnian things, they have their advantages over things, but they also have more weaknesses.
    Last edited by Elannion; June 27th, 2006 at 22:26.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast