Heroes and Grail Knights - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x5)

Heroes and Grail Knights

What point values do you think are best for starting to start putting gear on heroes/lords and also to start taking grail knights. For the heroes/lords I was thinking of just leaving them with standard gear and around 90-100 points until about 2000 points. For Grail Knights, it seems like since they are pretty expensive per unit, they are too much for a 1000 point game. Was thinking of not sticking them in until 1500 or maybe even 2000 point games. Please share your opinions on both topics, thanks .

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

When it comes to magic items, you want to stay quite light at 1k. With bretts, your characters have plenty of armour and a "free" ward save, so in small games you might want to consider a magic weapon at most(although a lance would be just as good) and possibly a scroll if you take a damsel.

Grails knights are probably only worth having in 1500pts+ games. One grail knight buys you one and a half KotR, and in smaller games numbers are key. The lance formation goes a long way to reducing your dependency on characters and elite units in smaller games. You really want KotR backed up by yeoman (or even Errants) for flank charges.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

Theres no point to skip on an enchanted shield and/or a biting blade. Thats not nearly enough to be a waste. The sword may not matter the first round but if anything lasts more than the first round then your probably going to need SOME sustained threat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to stay away from Grail knights until about 2500 pt games. That's not because they are not effective, it's just that my opponents give me dirty looks when i field them :> I also find that they are big fire magnets, and because they are a bigger chunk of smaller armies, i end up trying to protect them too much. Usually i just bring QKs + Treb instead of GKs for more fun (and less dirty looks)
    It's only a lance of Grail Knights... won't hurt at all!

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Yeah Grail Knights are a bit pricey for 1k points, but when i get to 2k+ then i like to take a unit of 11 plus character, they certainly are sick little puppies. They also come across the board so quickly that your opponent has to find an answer to them - fast

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WRT to characters- i used to sup up my characters quite a bit when i played, but in the smaller games i was playing i almost always found it advantageous to trade in the gear for more models, but in larger games, investing points into your paladin is pretty good idea (but still dont go to over board)

WRT to GK's- i recieved a unit at christmas time, and was excited to field them after hearing of the grail knights and all of there amazingness. but since i only have apr. 1500 points of bretonnians, it is difficult to field a large unit, so i have had some problems (unit completly destroyed, unit destroyed enough that the paladin didnt even recieve a look out sir roll, and ended up catching a cannon ball with his face.) so recently i have began using my unit of GK's as KE, and i have had much more sucsess. they draw less fire, cost less, and can still cause damage on the charge, and can be equiped with the errantry banner and still cost way less then a grail knight unit of the same size. (a GK Is almost double the points of a KE )

So, the moral of the story, when playing (but ESPECIALLY at low points games) loads of core troops and vanilla characters will Perform better than expensive units, and supped up heroes.

-SgtSnipe

+ Reply to Thread