Brettonian Questions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brettonian Questions

Hi, I am looking to start a fantasy army, but I want one that is manueverable and hard-hitting. Some people I've talked to have told me that Brets are simply fast and have a lot of attacks, but lack excellent strength and manueverability. Could some players please clarify? Thanks; also, I'm also considering Wood Elves.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Brets are fast and hard-hitting, at least when they charge. But with their movement rate, they almost always can dictate charges. They hit regularly at str 5 on the charge, or better, and get a pile of attacks.

Because of their high movement rate being cavalry, they are also maneuverable, to an extent. They still move as a block unit, like ranked infantry, something which limits their flexibility.

But there are skirmishers available, like the archers, and fliers like the pegaus knights.

Brets also benefit from superior armor, and they have that nifty ward save.

They are a cool army, and a strong one, but not one without weaknesses. No matter what army you pick, you have to contend with its weaknesses. If you like the fluff of playing knights, think you'd enjoy painting the models, and find their style of play up your alley, then go for it.

As a player, my opinion of Brets is that they present a unique challenge, especially for my WEs, but they're fun to play against.

What other armies have you considered? Brets are fast and hard-hitting by design, but other armies can muster fast, hard-hitting lists, too.

Do you want to play a human army? How important is magic or shooting to you? There are four phases to consider: movement, magic, shooting, and combat. How much and what you want to accomplish in each is up to you and changes according to the different armies.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reply, I've also been considering the Wood Elves. In 40k I used to play Harlequins and now I do Ravenwing, so I figured the Wood Elves are very similar to both in some aspects. Plus I like the fluff of the Wood Elves, but I also like the Bret's fluff as well. What would say is a primary weakness of the Brets? Probably lances, but I'm not sure of all their major weaknesses. Also, which army, WE or Brets, do you think is more forgiving to a wee noob? Thanks a lot for your help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

Two armies you may want to consider are beasts of chaos and ogres. The former can setup ambushes which is an extreme case of manuverability. They also have naturally hard hitting attacks and some of the beefiest units in the game. There is only one problem though, you might want to wait for a remake on that book because I guarantee its going to have some changes. As an alternative you might consider ogres. Not the most manuverable army simply because most of the units aren't cavalry. They still have one of the higher averages on movement though. It shouldn't come as a suprise that they are hard hitters as well. The difference between my two suggestions though is beasts will have a great deal more micro varity, in how you choose your marks and your leadership. They will also have a great deal more potent magic. Ogres on the other hand will have a more diverse selection (belive it or not) in terms of shooting or warmachines etc.. In my opinion they have more units designed for specific roles and then the all purpose leadbelchers for every role !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reply, but I've played both armies (Beasts and Ogres). They are cool but I just wasn't "feeling" them, and I also didn't like various aspects of them. For Beasts I got owned by their low Ld, but they do hold their own in combat. But that Ld is a killer (I actually lost over 80 ambushers cause of it)! The Ogres are cool, but I just didn't like them all that much. I'm pretty sure I'll choose Brets cause of their fluff and playing style of speed and power. Once agian, thanks for your input!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    222 (x7)

Good luck with your Bret army. I think everyone will agree they do have some really nice fluff.

If I were you I'd try making up an army list so other members can give their feedback, before you go out and by the models. - That's what I've done with my upcoming VC army. ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the idea! I'll definitely have to put up a list!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

222 (x7)

Great! ^_^ Be sure to check out the (Bretonnia Index)Bretonnian Index too, as it contains lots of useful links that will help you!

~P53.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

I guess their main weaknesses are high cost, hence fewer models, and the fact that they're just human. When it comes down to it, they're just regular toughness and not hard to wound. It's getting past the armor save that's a pain in the butt.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

222 (x7)

Indeed. Brets should avoid high strength enemies and nasty warmachines!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast