How Many Archers do you need? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How Many Archers do you need?

Hey all
    I've never played WHFB Before,just 40k and i just traded for a Bretonnian army that has 74 archers...how many of these will i ever really need?

Cheers
    Peace

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x5)

It depends on your personal preferance. In a 2000 point game, I'll usually use about 2 units of 12, both with skirmishers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

139 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Spector View Post
    It depends on your personal preferance. In a 2000 point game, I'll usually use about 2 units of 12, both with skirmishers.
    Do you? The skirmish option is 0-1... The army book says 'one unit may...' as opposed to the entry about fire arrows, which says 'any unit may...'

For that reason, and because I think the skirmishing ones are far better, I usually stick to one unit with the skirmish upgrade, but make it 20 strong.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

131 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by strewart View Post
    Do you? The skirmish option is 0-1... The army book says 'one unit may...' as opposed to the entry about fire arrows, which says 'any unit may...'

For that reason, and because I think the skirmishing ones are far better, I usually stick to one unit with the skirmish upgrade, but make it 20 strong.
    Good point, never noticed that before, I guess I'll change my answer to one unit but with 15-20 men.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

Let me tell you a quick story...

I was at the local bunker, when I was talking to one of the veterans (won a couple RTT's, plays every army extremely well and wins a lot) and I asked him 'Should I use any peasents in my Bret army?' he replied 'Well, do you want to win?'

So, to put it simply, No.

I'm back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

139 (x8)

You're a 40k player then, Swat? Take the biggest, toughest and strongest things in the army, to hell with the rest, upgrade them as much as possible, and you will win.

Not so in WHFB. An all knight Bret army is extremely limited in its tactical depth. Sure against new players, or even average players, you have a very forgiving army and will most likely win the majority of the time. But against seasoned vets an all knight Bret army is boring to play with and against and is not really all that difficult to beat. I once played the Errantry SOC list all knights, which is considered to be cheesy since you get free magic banners on pretty much all your units, against a good Dark Elf player and got beaten. All knights is very predictable.

I've never tried all peasants, so I really can't comment on that end, but I think at least some peasants are needed to add a bit of variety, different tactics, and interest to the game.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

REALLY? That's a new one. But I guess it must be the 'noobs' around here eh? Only most of the guys here made it to the final round in the GT's but I guess they still don't have any good advice and being a 40k means NOTHING and I take all infantry, not the biggest scariest things like your adverage thing. Peasent archers=suck. Might as well play WE to shoot. Men at arms=Not so much. May as well play a better army if u want foot soldiers. Cav=Yes. We have some of the best in the game due to the lance formation and the fact we get +2 str on the charge, + all the attacks from everyone. Think about what your saying and who your saying it to next time you speak. I may play 40k but I do know what I am talking about.

-J

I'm back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

139 (x8)

I meant no offence by my comments, sorry if you took them the wrong way.

Peasant archers may well suck, but they are cheap. And when you think about it, shots are the same strength and range as WE archers, the main difference is one point of BS, for almost twice the points. The peasants get free stakes if they don't go for the skirmish option, and may use the leadership of any knight unit near them, unlike the WE which can only use the leadership of the general. Quite the bargain I'd say.

Much the same points can be said for M@A. While I am personally not a fan of them because I hate the models, they are certainly far from useless. Take a better army if you want foot soldiers? Tell that to all the successful goblin players. Tell that to my crap-in-combat zombie hordes. The point of M@A is not to be brilliant foot soldiers, it is to give numbers to an otherwise fairly small army and to give you something to do besides charge straight forward and hope to win.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x2)

Someone at the local store runs a almost all peasants list and it works quite well, he even won 2 tournaments with them.
    You have so much bodies to kill and you have to take a hellload of arrows each turn against him not to mention the trebuchet

"I could calculate your chance of survival, but you won't like it."
    "Shut up! Sit your ass down in that chair and DRINK YOUR GODDAMN TEA!" - Cid FFVII

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

Aye, and I guess the way the games are played here, the biggest heaviest hitting units work well, but may not work so much in your region. (BTW all the peasent and zombie armies loose 99% of their games here) It's aiight, I guess I over reacted..long day....

I'm back.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast