New Bret Player: Fighting Vamps and Dwarves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Bret Player: Fighting Vamps and Dwarves

K, so I'm new to Bretonnia and my army that I'v bought and am painting is a pure calvary force. (I am considering adding some Archers)
    Shakes out to-

2 Units f Knights Errant

3 Units of Knights of the Realm

1 Unit fo Grail Knights

1 Unit of Questing Knights

1 Unit fo Pegasus Knights

2 Units pf 6 Knights of the Realm

Possibly flankng unit(s) of Mounted Yeoman (Expensive though!)

Lord
    Paladin/Pegasus
    BSB
    Damsle w/ Dispelx2
    Damsel w/ Dispelx2

So far for Vampires I've just figured out that I need to-

Hit units with at least two Lance formations, this will normally wound and kill enough that combat resolution will do the rest in,a nd if not I will killt hem in the next round.

Because they are slow and manuverable I am able to position a unit each of KOTR on either side of the battle lines, and use the 6 man strong Units for that additional Lance formation charge with my buigger units.

Is there really any other way to do it? Oh yeah, and my pegasus knights and hero go a Wizard hunting.

P.S.: The Raise-a-million-zombie list is the one I need help with.

Dwarves:

I am LOST lol on how to bat these little buggars.

Any help is appeciated

"Give me reason ot suspect you are a Heretic, and I will come down upon you with the Wrath of Rogal Dorn."
    -Inquisitor Vaghn Orshead

Space Wolves of BulvaiDaemondeth-
    W:1 L:1 T: 3
    Favored Enemy: Orks and Space Marine
    Black Knights Chapter: (DIY S.M.)
    W: 17 L: 11 T: 5
    Favored Enemy: Orks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dont fight me.
    “Fixed fortifications are monuments to man's stupidity.�

“In case of doubt, attack.�

"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.�

General George Patton-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To fight against dwarves, or other shooty armies for that matter, a paladin with the virtue of noble disdain(to skip panic tests) and / or a banner of defense (to increase your ward save against missiles or magic missles with S5+) may prove useful in a unit you wish to protect.

Dwarfs excel in their toughness and leadership, and with their WS usually 4 or more, it will be hard to hit them, harder to wound them. Try your best to break them at the turn you charge (or without the extra str your lance provides, you won't be able to do much.) Be prepared to face leadership 9 stubborn units, Questing knights will be more effective against them since they have S5 every turn of combat.

Both your questing knights and grail knights will be HUGE fire magnets, dwarf player (or any player you will face) will use everything in his disposal to dispose of them, rightfully so.

Pegasus knights are few in numbers but hard to kill, they will probably be able to reach enemy war machine or shooters by turn 2. These are priority targets. (In the first game I played, my pegasus paladin took out a dwarf cannon in turn 2 and charged gunners the next turn. But I was out of luck and lost him to stand and shoot. If it was not a single char, but a unit, they would have caught and defeated them.)

I don't have much playing xp, but read quite a few breton battle reports and tactica, and these were general tips. I hope they will be useful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't suppose it would be too much to ask for you to put some peasants in your army so it isn't quite so munchkin? That list will get boring for the opponent very quickly just getting malled.

Against Dwarves..........charge - but watch for artillery so use cover.
    Against VC..............charge. Against the VC rubbish troops you'll destroy about 10 on the charge and another 10 on combat res just because you're so armoured up and indestructible. Forget fear, that aint a problem, LD 8 with items that allow re-rolls + the BSB and you're not running from anything!

Thats the deal really, you have the most powerful army book out of all the armies out there, the Bretonnians have only one tactic - charge and slaughter, thats pretty much what they do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

convenient army lists

My friend has both armies, what a coincidence! Anyway, against vampire counts/ tomb kings I made this list:

228, 1 bretonnian lord, warhorse, shield, lance, curiuss of fortune, holy icon, grail vow
    227, 1 paladin, army standard: lady's banner, grail vow, shield, warhorse, virtue of duty
    352, 3 damsels of the lady, mount, barding, 1 dispell scroll each, 1 has potion of sacre
    380, 10 grail knights (paladin and lord join)
    242, 8 knights of the realm, standard of valor with damsel
    234, 11 knights of errant, standard with damsel
    234, 11 knights of errant, standard with damsel
    90 , 1 field trebuchet

Total: 1997

The grail knights are immune to psychology, and the knights of errant are also immune to psychology on the turn they charge, and any characters that are in their unit. Then kill them with better combat resolution.

Dwarfs (only dwarfs, any other army will kill in magic phase)

204, 1 bretonnian lord, warhorse, shield, wyrmlance, curiuss of fortune, virtue of duty
    206, 1 paladin, army standard: banner of the lady,virtue of duty, shield
    360, 3 paladins, warhorse, lance, shield, curiuss of fortune, damsel Elena's mantel (each paladin has all of those)
    256, 10 knights of the realm, standard
    256, 10 knights of the realm, standard
    208, 8 knights of the realm, standard
    194, 9 knights of errant, chalon banner
    90 , 1 field trebuchet
    222, 9 knights of the realm, standard

total: 1996

No need for damsels, the anvil of doom can't be dispelled. So just take a crap load of knights and charge fast and hard. The knights of errant are to charge any thunderers on the table since they can't stand and shoot.
    Taste the rainbow!
    (Plz don't sue)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

never mind the dwarfs one

the vampire count list worked great killing 9 guys on the charge. plus 3 for 2 ranks and banner. and they get 3 or 2 for rank, unless it is the unit with the banner of the lady, then they only get 3 combat res. 12 minus 3 equals 9 you kill 9 on the charge, so... you kill 18 zombies on one turn that means you take away three ranks! as for dwarfs, lots of questing nights, constant S6 attacks for large heavy armoured units. have one or two paladins on a pegases, to take care of asnvil of doom, and artillary. of course the manditory kotr unit give it banner of châlons and take out thunderers. men at arms will do nothing, so dont get them
    Taste the rainbow!
    (Plz don't sue)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I though it was S5 for the questing nights due to the 7th ed rules for two handed weapons on mounted units. Could be mistaken, so please correct me if im wrong.
    Still Just A Noob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Misleadenvy View Post
    I though it was S5 for the questing nights due to the 7th ed rules for two handed weapons on mounted units. Could be mistaken, so please correct me if im wrong.
    Yeah, you're absolutely correct. QKs got gimped in 7th ed. Their leadership rerolls are still pretty good, but otherwise, there isn't much reason to take them any more.
    It's only a lance of Grail Knights... won't hurt at all!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Actually questing knights are great for those protracted fights.

Sure they go last but strength 5 is pretty good.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by slow man running View Post
    204, 1 bretonnian lord, warhorse, shield, wyrmlance, curiuss of fortune, virtue of duty
    206, 1 paladin, army standard: banner of the lady,virtue of duty, shield
    360, 3 paladins, warhorse, lance, shield, curiuss of fortune, damsel Elena's mantel (each paladin has all of those)
    Let me know if i'm wrong but I thought you could only have one of each particular item like the Curiass of fortune per army... so the same would go for damsel Elenas mantel.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast