1500 pt Nurgle - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1500 pt Nurgle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 pt Nurgle

Long, long ago, I played a Khorne army, until I realized that Nurgle is more fun to convert! (in my opinion) So, here is a friendly play army for everyone to criticize. And please do, I haven't played for ages, and I probably broke some rules somewhere, or something.

HQ

Chaos Lord 151
    - Mark of Nurgle
    - Terminator Armor
    - Dark Blade
    - Daemonic Strength
    - Daemonic Mutation
    - Nurgle's Rot
    - CCW

Chaos Sorceror 137
    - Mark of Nurgle
    - Wind of Chaos
    - Plague Sword
    - Bolter
    - Minor Psychic Power

ELITES

2 Obliterators 140

TROOPS

10 Plague Marines 283
    - Infiltrate
    - 2 Plasma Gun
    - Aspiring Champion
    - Power Fist
    - Daemonic Mutation

10 Plague Marines 253
    - Infiltrate
    - 2 Plasma Gun
    - Aspiring Champion
    - Power Fist
    - Daemonic Mutation

8 Plaguebearers 128

HEAVY SUPPORT

8 Chaos Havocs 216
    - 4 Autocannons
    - Tank Hunters

Chaos Dreadnought 165
    - TL Lascannon
    - Missile Launchers
    - Mutated Hull

TOTAL: 1498

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, this seems like a pretty good list, however I have a couple of comments:

-Havocs: Autocannons tend to be mostly used for heavy-infantry-smashing rather than tank busting. If you want some tank busting strength spring for a lascannon or 2, the Tank Hunters skill really doesn't help much when used with autocannons.

-Mark of Nurgle: If you gave the Havocs the Mark of Nurgle, dropped the Obliterators in favour of [maybe] some Chosen, and changed the unit size of your Plague Marines, you could be fielding a "true" Death Guard army, thus saving yourself some points on Aspiring Champions, and giving your Plaguebearers a better chance of getting summoned early in the game.

Sorry if any of this sounds confusing, I know you said you hadn't played in a while, but hopefully you can dredge the meaning out of my slurred English. =D

Other than this the list seems like it could be quite successful; just don't go charging in too hastily - you aren't playing Khorne anymore.
    Last edited by thewineguy; July 29th, 2007 at 13:41. Reason: Wanted to summarise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by thewineguy View Post
    -Havocs: Autocannons tend to be mostly used for heavy-infantry-smashing rather than tank busting. If you want some tank busting strength spring for a lascannon or 2, the Tank Hunters skill really doesn't help much when used with autocannons.
    Just a quick one.. but...

general consensus for current Chaos is that, tank hunting autocannon havocs are perhaps the best tank hunting unit in the entire game.

Your set up is absolutely perfect. Against anything AV 13 or less, they will dominate, and you can also smash infantry. You can do the maths yourself, but they out perform almost all other forms of havocs. Remember, this game is played rolling dice.. the more dice you roll.. the greater your chances of success.

Even with marines, the sheer amount of wounds generated will force enough armour saves to see them fall.

In short, I hate to disagree directly with wineguy, but respectfully, I wouldn't change your autocannon havocs for the world.

Black Legion/Nurgle - what you have now is an awesome combination.

With regards to the list itself, it's certainly well constructed. There's a bit of waste in the sorcerer - he's very very fluffy.. but he's not really useful and he's expensive.

Both your HQs are foot slogging, whereas your marine and daemons are in the thick of the action right away.

Your squad composition is more or less faultless, those squads are incredibly powerful.

Chaos Lord 151
    - Mark of Nurgle
    - Terminator Armor
    - Dark Blade
    - Daemonic Strength
    - Daemonic Mutation
    - Nurgle's Rot
    - CCW
    Ok.. the termy armour is nice.. but it slows him down a lot. He can't infiltrate, he can't run/fly and he doesn't have a ride.

I would strongly consider a power armour lord infiltrated with your marines, or a power armour lord with the flight or speed capability.

The dark blade is great - but excessive with daemonic strength. S7 doesn't really get us anywhere, it would be extra tasty if comboed with furious charge - to get instakills on marines.

So I personally would give him daemonic speed and aura instead of terminator armour.

Also.. consider the man reaper. There are strong indications that it's one of the best weapons in the game.

Papa K
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fair enough

No worries Karmoon, I'm more than happy to bow down to your more-than-likely-superior knowledge of Chaos in general. :yes: After all, I'm a World Eaters man, what do I know about shooting, eh?

The advice I gave was based entirely on my [limited] experience using a Black Legion force.

Maybe with the new codex on the way I should give them another go...
    Last edited by thewineguy; July 29th, 2007 at 14:30.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

None the less, thank you for posting. One of the best ways of learning is to try and help others.

If your intention was to help, please carry on posting wherever you can.

I look forward to calling upon your World Eater experience at some stage.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Pappa Karmoon gave really good advice, especially in regards to tank hunting autocannons. A good number of chaos players (including myself and Karmoon) run two of these 8 man squads at the 1500 point level.

My main build is an 1850 Black Legion Nurgle army, so I hope my comments will help. On a general note, it's not a good idea to run a single vehicle in your army. At the 1500 point level, the dread will be taken out on the firs turn, even with mutated hull. For chaos, one either needs to run a heavily populated vehicle army or none at all. Based on your current build, I'd suggest removing the dread for another 8 man tank hunting autocannon unit. You can harvest hte required points by reducing your plague marine units down to 8 (which is ample).

Second, as Karmoon said, the sorcerer is great fluff, but a very (VERY) inefficient unit. With the current codex, only Thousand Sons models make good sorcerers. I'd strongly recommend that you drop this pup and use the points to purchase another obliterator.

Any remaining points can be used either to increase your plaguebearer or plague marine squads.

Another options: Have you considered taking 1 or 2 units of 6 man plague guns squads w/ infiltrate? They're a ripe fine unit that provides excellent sustain support fire power. Most opponents ignore them and tend to focus, rather, on your more heavy hitting units. Just a thought.

Hope this helps.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I appreciate all the advice (and the compliments, heh), and I agree with most of it. I was actually reconsidering the terminator armor as I posted the list. Here is a revised list:

HQ

Chaos Lord 155
    - Mark of Nurgle
    - Manreaper
    - Daemonic Aura
    - Daemonic Mutation
    - Daemonic Strength
    - Nurgle's Rot
    - Infiltrate

ELITES

2 Obliterators 140

TROOPS

7 Plague Marines 212
    - Infiltrate
    - 2 Plasma Gun
    - Aspiring Champion
    - Power Fist
    - Daemonic Mutation

7 Plague Marines 212
    - Infiltrate
    - 2 Plasma Gun
    - Aspiring Champion
    - Power Fist
    - Daemonic Mutation

7 Plague Marines 212
    - Infiltrate
    - 2 Meltagun
    - Aspiring Champion
    - Power Fist
    - Daemonic Mutation

7 Plaguebearers 112

HEAVY SUPPORT

8 Chaos Havocs 216
    - 4 Autocannons
    - Tank Hunters

Chaos Dreadnought 102
    - Dreadnought CCW w/Heavy Flamer
    - Dreadnought CCW w/TL Bolter

Chaos Dreadnought 135
    - TL Lascannon
    - Missile Launchers

TOTAL: 1500

I chose not to play a Death Guard army for one reason - it states in the book of Nurgle that units bearing the Mark of Nurgle can't carry autocannons (or pretty much any other heavy weapon), which kind of defeats the purpose of Havocs, I would think. If I am mistaken, please correct me, because its the only thing keeping me from the Death Guard.

I decided to make the Nurgle squads 7 men rather than 8 or 6 just because 7 is nurgle's favored number.

Also, I prefer to keep the dreadnought (and added another) because I already converted one that I am veyr proud of, and have an idea for another that I think will look great. (Well, two others, but I like my idea for the close combat dread more than the other, which would be equipped with a plasma gun and a missile launcher arm with havoc missiles as well.) One of my favorite parts of the game is converting models, and showing them off in battle, and, with any luck, the two of them will be so repulsive that my enemies will be afraid to shoot at them!

I will post pictures of them in threads in the conversion forums and link them here, if anyone is curious.

However, comments, criticisms, and alternative choices are still more than welcome, as I will eventually want to modify this list for tournament play as well.
    Last edited by fatal_GRACE; August 1st, 2007 at 06:42.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

The limitation with the weapons there is that no unit with the MoN may carry those heavy weapons, and all units in a Death Guard army must have the mark, so that's what would be holding you back. Well, that and the Oblits ...

With the new codex coming out shortly, however, you should be able to grab those babies up with the mark, though. It wouldn't be fluffy, but it'll work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, I was not aware there was a new codex coming out. Shows how much I've been out of it.

Well, I like th elist for the time being.

Anyways, here is the dreadnought I converted for the army:

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...tml#post977459

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dread

That's a pretty nice Dread. I especially like the huge scything talons protruding from it's back. Being a part-time Tyranid player myself, I appreciate how difficult those babies can be to hold in place. A couple of comments:

-Like you said, your painting could use some work, but it's more than acceptable for gaming purposes. One thing I might say is that the white/cream spots on the legs...I don't know, they just don't do it for me. Interpret that how you will.

-The mutant arm in the "stomach" area sort of seems out of place. Maybe it's just the angles but from the side shots it seems to stick out a bit far. Maybe in future you could putty round the base of the limb to sort of bulk it out. Just a suggestion.

But still, good work. I'm hoping to get the time to redo my WE Dread after I finish my Termies.

And yes, they stated in the last 2 WD's that there's going to be 2 new CSM codexes, one for CSM themselves and one for Daemons. The CSM one will be out on the 15th September, the Daemon one sometime early next year.

+ Reply to Thread