Librarium Online Forums banner

1000pt Assualt army new player

888 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Karmoon 
#1 ·
Ok so this is my first list.
its going for assult but i want the ability to be able to drop heavy shit if i need.

Chaos Lord - Mark of Nurgle, Terminator armor, Chainfist, bolt pistol, tank hunters(TBD) - 156 pts
1 x 3 - Oblits - missile launcher(frag), powerfist - 210pts (Unless weapons are not included in base cost of these.)
1 x 5 - Space Marines - Chainsword, bolter, MArk of Nurgle, jump packs - 110 pts
2 x 5 - Raptors - chainsword, x3 meltaguns, x2 bolters, frag Gren, Krak, Grenade - 394 pts

total = 915(not including Oblits Missile launchers, and jump packs on Marines. cant find price anywhere in the Core rulebook or codex -.-)

well unless im wrong in totaling my army it may be more or less the cost. but thats it. a 1500 pts army would have heavy support and more raptors added. plus the raptors would gain Tank Hunters.

the idea is ill deep strike with the Oblits using their AoE from the Missiles to drop groups the marines will accompany the Raptors and drops others... which im tempted to just drop marines and add more raptors ^_^ or give current tank hunters... hmmm.... decisions... need to find missle and jump pack prices.. and once that ill prolly change the list.

Comments suggestions.... mind you im new and this is my first army.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
its going for assult but i want the ability to be able to drop heavy shit if i need.
Even though this is casual, friendly forum, you have to watch your language. None of the S-word, among others.

Chaos Lord - Mark of Nurgle, Terminator armor, Chainfist, bolt pistol, tank hunters(TBD) - 156 pts
What purpose is tank hunter serving on this unit? Second, on models with increased init, you always want to preserve it, that is, you don't want weapons that reduce your 5 init down to a 1. I'd strongly suggest taking the darkblade, as it provides the added strength, while still maintaining the superior 5 init.

Bolt Pistol: You can't take a bolt pistol with terminator armor.

Finally, how do you plan on getting this pup into c.c.? He's very slow. Your best bet is deep striking him, but that will leave him out in the open and susceptible to incoming enemy ranged fire. Just something to think about.

I'd suggest dropping the termi armor and taking a movement modifier, like daemonic speed.
1 x 3 - Oblits - missile launcher(frag), powerfist - 210pts (Unless weapons are not included in base cost of these.)
To let you know, obliteators come with ALL the weapons listed under their description at no additional- a good thing be sure :yes:.
1 x 5 - Space Marines - Chainsword, bolter, MArk of Nurgle, jump packs - 110 pts
Cannot have jump packs on models with any mark other than the mark of chaos undivided. This is why you didn't find anything in regards to the subject. The only models capable of having jump packs (or the equivalent are raptors, chaos lords & lieuts, and possessed.

Second, what's the role of these units? They have no special weapons or power weapons. I'd recommend dropping them altogether and taking something along these lines:

First squad:
6x chaos marines w/ infiltrate, bolters, & two plasma guns
(this unit packs a solid punch and is not that expensive. Infiltration allows them to position for excellent use of their medium ranged weaponry)

Second squad:
7-8x plague marines w/ infiltrate, plasma (or melta) guns, and an aspiring champion w/ a power fist & daemonic mutation
(This type of unit should form your spearhead. At the 1000 point level, I'd take at least two of them. They are highly durable, and the power fist enables the units to dole out loads of c.c. power, while enduring the counter attack with the +1 toughness conferred by the mark of Nurgle)
2 x 5 - Raptors - chainsword, x3 meltaguns, x2 bolters, frag Gren, Krak, Grenade - 394 pts
Not bad, but they don't have a lot of staying power. You only have 1 wound before you start losing melta guns. Honestly, raptors (and bikers) are best used in higher points games, 1850+. I'd drop these pups altogether. However, if you still want to include them, then consider something like this:

7-8x raptors w/ infiltrate, furious charge, 2x melta guns, and an aspiring champion with a power weapon & daemonic strength.
(you need infiltrate in order to bring these guys up as close as possible to the enemy lines. If your opponent knows anything about raptors, then they will try and kill them as soon as possible, hence the need to get them into c.c. quickly. Second, they have very adequate tank busting weaponry, plus they can handle their own in cc. Note: Raptors are one of the more challenging units of chaos to use properly. Don't be discouraged if they go down quickly in the beginning. Once you get the swing of things, raptors will really prove their worth).

Other options: Chaos is renowned for having devastating havoc squads. Pretty much everyone on this forum has or does use the following configuration:

8x tank hunting havocs w/ 4x autocannons & 4x bolters.
(They are incredibly cheap for their ranged power, and will deal with both vehicles and medium armored infantry. In all, this is one of the best tank busting units in the game)

#3 · (Edited)
Oi i knew someone would crush it....
but like i said im new...

What purpose is tank hunter serving on this unit? Second, on models with increased init, you always want to preserve it, that is, you don't want weapons that reduce your 5 init down to a 1. I'd strongly suggest taking the darkblade, as it provides the added strength, while still maintaining the superior 5 init.

Bolt Pistol: You can't take a bolt pistol with terminator armor.

Finally, how do you plan on getting this pup into c.c.? He's very slow. Your best bet is deep striking him, but that will leave him out in the open and susceptible to incoming enemy ranged fire. Just something to think about.

I'd suggest dropping the termi armor and taking a movement modifier, like daemonic speed.
well the Chainfist was for the tanks cus if you noticed the only thing heavy in this list is Oblits. and they werent much for that spec. the Oblits were set up to Deep strike in and use the AoE from the missiles to drop a portion of the enemys army...

i was half asleep when i built this list. forgot about the Bolt pistol...

Cannot have jump packs on models with any mark other than the mark of chaos undivided. This is why you didn't find anything in regards to the subject. The only models capable of having jump packs (or the equivalent are raptors, chaos lords & lieuts, and possessed.

Second, what's the role of these units? They have no special weapons or power weapons. I'd recommend dropping them altogether

First squad:
6x chaos marines w/ infiltrate, bolters, & two plasma guns
(this unit packs a solid punch and is not that expensive. Infiltration allows them to position for excellent use of their medium ranged weaponry)

Second squad:
7-8x plague marines w/ infiltrate, plasma (or melta) guns, and an aspiring champion w/ a power fist & daemonic mutation
(This type of unit should form your spearhead. At the 1000 point level, I'd take at least two of them. They are highly durable, and the power fist enables the units to dole out loads of c.c. power, while enduring the counter attack with the +1 toughness conferred by the mark of Nurgle)
well the last part of my post said i was probly going to drop them.
the problem with the first squad is im trying to keep as close to CC as i can.... so the medium ranged weaponry is nothing to me.

however the second squad has good CC and the back up of heavy EQ to drop heavy stuff. thats what i was going for. cus at 1000pts theres a chance someone will squeeze in something big. thus Tank Hunters that extra kick vs heavy units.

Not bad, but they don't have a lot of staying power. You only have 1 wound before you start losing melta guns. Honestly, raptors (and bikers) are best used in higher points games, 1850+. I'd drop these pups altogether. However, if you still want to include them, then consider something like this:

7-8x raptors w/ infiltrate, furious charge, 2x melta guns, and an aspiring champion with a power weapon & daemonic strength.
(you need infiltrate in order to bring these guys up as close as possible to the enemy lines. If your opponent knows anything about raptors, then they will try and kill them as soon as possible, hence the need to get them into c.c. quickly. Second, they have very adequate tank busting weaponry, plus they can handle their own in cc. Note: Raptors are one of the more challenging units of chaos to use properly. Don't be discouraged if they go down quickly in the beginning. Once you get the swing of things, raptors will really prove their worth).

Other options: Chaos is renowned for having devastating havoc squads. Pretty much everyone on this forum has or does use the following configuration:

8x tank hunting havocs w/ 4x autocannons & 4x bolters.
(They are incredibly cheap for their ranged power, and will deal with both vehicles and medium armored infantry. In all, this is one of the best tank busting units in the game)
well i like the tank busters... definate add in a 1500pt army
would like to keep atleast one squad of raptors, that way i can learn to use them...

ok heres the revised list incorperating the above mentions.

Chaos Lord - mark nurgle, Daemonic Flight, dark blade, bolter, Furious CHarge, blight grens, Daemonic Mutation, Daemonic Essence - 187pts
1 x 3 - Oblits - missile launcher(frag), powerfist - 210pts
2 x 8 plague marines w/ infiltrate, Furious Charge, melta guns x2, bolters x6 and an aspiring champion w/ a power fist, daemonic mutation, furious charge - 298 x 2 = 596 for 2x squads unless i miscalculated.

total 993 pts

i like the new list and it takes care of my aspects. the units are as kickers in CC and can still handle heavier units. the reasoning behind Furious charge on the Plague Marines and Mutation and Essence on Chaos lord, the chaos lord was an attempt to consume more points and then the Furious charge on the Marines/Champ was to add lil more to CC and to consume points. these will be removed for a 1500pt army so i have more to get stuff with. would have beefed my Oblits but there wasnt anything saying they can gain so they're hitting with what they normally do.

according to what im thinking the plague marines are 8 and then it becomes a squad of 9 with the Aspiring Champ...

Question... if and when i buy my army, could i buy normal Chaos Marines for the Plague marines or would i have to het the Plague Marine models? cus essentially Plague Marines are just Chaos Marines with Mark of Nurgle. the only differentiation is the story behing Plague Marines. wanna use space marines with Gas mask heads.

#4 ·
Just remember that the new codex is coming out in less than a month, so keep this in mind when making any purchases. Lots of changes are coming our way. Very little will remain the way it is right now.

Chaos Lord - mark nurgle, Daemonic Flight, dark blade, bolter, Furious CHarge, blight grens, Daemonic Mutation, Daemonic Essence - 187pts
Blight grenades are not currently worth their points. I'd drop them in favor of daemonic aura. Aura is one of the best options available to our lords and lieuts. It's the only protection against power weapons.

Mutation and Essence are generally regarded as overpriced upgrades (I tend to agree). You'd be better of investing these points elsewhere in your army.
nice

2 x 8 plague marines w/ infiltrate, Furious Charge, melta guns x2, bolters x6 and an aspiring champion w/ a power fist, daemonic mutation, furious charge - 298 x 2 = 596 for 2x squads unless i miscalculated.
A unit with any mark of chaos can only take one veteran skill. I'd strongly recommend infiltrate, as it puts you in c.c. a round or two earlier.

Nine is a bit excessive. Eight is typically the ideal number for plague marines in a non-Death Guard army.

would have beefed my Oblits but there wasnt anything saying they can gain so they're hitting with what they normally do.
Yep, oblits must be used exactly as they are.

Question... if and when i buy my army, could i buy normal Chaos Marines for the Plague marines or would i have to het the Plague Marine models? cus essentially Plague Marines are just Chaos Marines with Mark of Nurgle. the only differentiation is the story behing Plague Marines. wanna use space marines with Gas mask heads.
You can use any model you want, so long as it fits the part. I use loyalist marines for my plague units. One of the great things about this game is the conversion potential.

#5 ·
i may have a squad or two of Chaos marines if anything... ill probly borrow until i get used to the game and have a decent army list...

Essence may be over priced but like i said their there basicly to take up points... cus without mod going by your exact specs i had almost 115 points that could be used.
going to add some stuff to the Marines Daemon power if i can...

ok heres the list again.

Chaos Lord - mark nurgle, Daemonic Flight, dark blade, bolter, Daemonic Mutation, Daemonic Essence - 147pts
2 x 7+1 plague marines w/ infiltrate, melta guns x2, bolters x5 and an aspiring champion w/ a power fist, bolter, daemonic mutation - 259 x 2 = 518

debating... Dread with Missile replacing the CC arm and a Heavy Bolter. - 115pts
totaling 990 pts...
OR
i leave the points at 875 and have those for lee way in a 1500pt army.

now i understand the Marine Champion setup. you have your group and then one of them gets the Champ upgrade for +13 points. and to represent the Champion its marked as 2 x 7+1 so its a 8 man group with a champ. and thats actually haw i figured up the total on the last list so the totals dont change cept for the deduction of Furious charge.

so this one looks square... im getting the hang of it now so i believe i can build a good army...

strategy is all i need to build in order to get a decent list made that mainly my own design and not suggested.

#7 ·
well my buddy on another forum helped me with this army and we rebuilt it with the new Codex for Chaos.

Squad 1 5 Marines - 70
Aspiring champion - 13
Heavy bolter - ??
Total - 83

Squad 2 5 Marines - 70
Aspiring champion - 13
Missile Launcher - ??
Total - 83

Obliterator Cult 3 210pts

thats the new starter Army im gonna use.

#8 ·
Hey Ratch.

I dunno which other forum you're using... but I suggest that you get yourself a new codex and start asking for advice here instead my friend :)

In a word, the advice you have been given is all rubbish. The points costs are wrong, the choices are incorrect.

So, get yourself a codex, and we'll be here to help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.